CD compilations done right!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Guys, guys, if you REALLY want to complement Crossroads...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

3. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Big Audio Dynamite?

kendo likes this.
  4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Some great Tull compilations that get the job done with each of their respective goals:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

V

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    john lennonist likes this.
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

V

[​IMG]

...and ofcourse the big daddy...

[​IMG]

btomarra, john lennonist and davers like this.
  6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Is that the one that excluded "Born On The Bayou"?

7. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

8. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    One Step Closer and Dependin’ On You are only two I noticed. Both charted higher than a number of tracks that are included. The remix is okay and it starts off with the Best of The Doobies reshuffled slightly. I would go with the latest Doobies Very Best of (has a number of single mixes)!

Jarleboy and davers like this.
  9. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Queen Greatest hits is very good

Jarleboy likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Culture Club- Greatest Hits

[​IMG]

Great sound using remastered tracks, everything in chronological order, and it has all the hits a casual fan could possibly want. This is the Culture Club compilation to get out of the dozens and dozens that are out there.

11. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

This is awesome!
    [​IMG]

Though a box set, Storyteller has just about all of Rod's hit songs from the 60's through the 80's. The only hits missing are four remakes to (I assume) avoid having to pay royalties.
    [​IMG]

This one by Stevie Nicks has all her 80's hits.
    [​IMG]

This Madonna collection has all of her hit songs from the 80's, but there are so many other great album tracks that you'd almost be better off cherry picking her 80's albums for the perfect combination of the two. Still, this one is very good.
    [​IMG]

And for as much as I like CCR's Chronicles, it's missing a few key songs (plus one great album track "Penthouse Pauper" if I were to be picky)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Elton and Eric_Generic like this.
  12. Vdigital

Vdigital Well-Known Member

Stealers wheel stuck in the middle with you
    Spectrum 1999 perfect tracklist and very good sound quality and the proof that Masters for right or wrong exist
    Earth to cherryred/lemon records do i have contact?☺

13. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Any number of hundreds of Rhino comps. Let's spin the big wheel....and it lands on:
    [​IMG]

Lewisboogie, ultron9, ibekeen and 4 others like this.
  14. btomarra

Though it's missing Born on the Bayou

john lennonist likes this.
  15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Amy Grant's The Collection and Greatest Hits 1986-2004 are still the comps to beat for the periods they cover content wise for casual fans. Even with all the comps that have been issued since these 2 came out, these 2 comps remain the best.

Jarleboy, davers and Galley like this.
  16. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

I like The Pogues- The Ultimate Collection with the live disc from Brixton.

john lennonist and davers like this.
  17. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Rocket from the Crypt- All Systems Go v. 1 (despite missing one or two rare tunes from that era) (v. 2 is also great; v. 3 is for-diehards-only)

[​IMG]

Guided by Voices- Human Amusements at Hourly Rates

[​IMG]

18. btomarra

Yes!! The Canadian 521-881-2 18 track is the one I have and it sounds great!! The 1995 19 track pressing has a better track listing. (Presence of The Lord, Let It Rain, Blues Power & Hello Old Friend). But is more compressed! The Canadian cd has Strange Brew, (the full 1970 After Midnight), Swing Low Sweet Chariot & Lay Down Sally in their place! Sound is :righton:

Xabby likes this.
  19. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Arthur Alexander - The Ultimate on Ace
    Take Me To The River A Southern Soul Story 1961 - 1977 on Kent
    The Fame Studios Story 1961 - 1973 on Kent

All three of these sound incredible to me. The tapes made back in the early 60s sound like they were made yesterday. Top notch job all around.

20. Marcmusic

Marcmusic Forum Resident

I've been looking for a good Doobie Brothers compilation. The 2007 set is worth getting?

21. danner

danner Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I was obsessed with this 2 CD comp in the 6th grade. It wasn't until years later that I actually started to pick up the individual albums, and even now, I think this is a pretty great collection. It picks up most of the what a casual fan would want while also throwing in some absolutely essential non-album tracks.

dbone828, ultron9, Elton and 7 others like this.
  22. btomarra

I have the single disc Greatest Hits and this. This latest appears more compressed. But honestly I love the single edits and mixes on it. Well, except for Listen To The Music. Love the mix on Best of The Doobies. Edit is the same but repeats the chorus one more time and fades out so it’s longer by about 20 seconds!!

Marcmusic likes this.
  23. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Great set. I've been on the Great Rhino Hunt for about 5 years and I had a decent amount of Rhino stuff before that. I see every new cd with Rhino in the title on Ebay minus a few exclusions. I have all the big Rhino catalogs and hundreds of comps, box sets, cool promo only releases and so on. I'm winding down now but it's been fun and I'm still stumbling across good stuff.

I snagged this cool release a couple hours ago:

[​IMG]

davers likes this.
  24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

There's also a Volume 2, 3 and 4.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  25. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I quite like The Ultimate Yes - 35th Anniversary Collection, which is probably about to be supplanted by a 50th anniversary comp. The UK and US versions are quite different; I prefer the US version (and not only because it features the correct version of "And You and I" instead of the rough mix accidentally on the UK edition). But the UK version has "Awaken," which Jon Anderson has described as one of his favorite Yes tracks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The US configuration (minus the bonus disc) was also released as part of Rhino's Definitive Rock Collection series.
    [​IMG]

Lewisboogie and Galley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.