CD/DVD Audio Errors/Glitches Database

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Haley, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers New Member

My DVD-A of Hotel California will not play in stereo, only 5.1. Not a big deal, but I'd like to hear the 2-channel. Oh well.

Chris Haley likes this.
  2. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker Thread Starter

The Who Faces Dances 1997 Polydor remaster bonus track "It's In You" has a glitch at 1:12 into song. Corrected on subsequent pressings and replacements issued. My copy has matrix DIDX 155774 1 and no glitch at 1:12, but there are still some weird "pops" at 0:25 and 0:28? Only found information here about the 1:12 glitch though.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Chris Haley likes this.
  4. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

My 1986 ABKCO Rolling Stones Hot Rocks CD has some, what sounds like, surface noise on some tracks. It has a goofy stereo to mono thing going on in "Heart Of Stone." On the 2002 version, none of this is there.

I forget which track, but on my dad's 1987 White Album CD, there is an error.

Chris Haley likes this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Rip the 2 channel with this puppy :)
    http://dvdae.com/

Chris Haley likes this.
  6. Chris Haley

Thanks to help from folks here a completely fixed "It's In You" is available on the Japanese 2011 SHM edition of Face Dances. This edition specifically has the original mix of "It's In You" not the remix on the 1997 Polydor remaster.

The 1997 Polydor Face Dances remix/remaster "It's In You" bonus track did have the 1:12 glitch fixed on subsequent pressings (DIDX 155774 1), but the error at 0.25-0.28 remains. It's a section of music that repeats itself.

7. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

I think DVD Audio Extractor will also rip the 5.1 mix AS stereo.

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Hmm, at least it would show you if the 2 channel is available, I've noticed on some that the 5.1 fold down to 2.0 sounds better

9. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Alice Cooper's Japanese mini-lp sleeve edition of Muscle Of Love has a false start on the last track Woman Machine

Chris Haley likes this.
  10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The song Tripmaker by The Seeds has a glitch of canned noise that sounds like a female opera singer bellering and cutting into the song for about a second covering the music. This anomaly happens between about the 20 to 25 second mark of this song on the Flower Punk box set that came out in 1996 on Dropout/Demon records. I also saw a review on Amazon that a customer bought the 2001 Demon records CD reissue of the first 2 albums and this same anomaly is on that as well. The 1987 GNP CD does not have this issue, nor does any other Seeds CD album or compilation CD that I have including the recent Big Beat CD reissue. The Flower Punk box set has been long OOP and so are the Demon records CD reissues so getting a CD with this glitch would only be obtained if bought second hand.

Chris Haley likes this.
  11. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

My Hotel California DVD-A also does not play in Advanced Resolution Stereo. Bummer, that was the only reason I bought it.

john lennonist and Chris Haley like this.
  12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

2 second gaps appear between the first and second tracks on the recent Uk/Euro mini-lp versions of Motley Crues Shout At The Devil and Dr Feelgood cds which ruins the listening experience when the songs have always segued

A 2 second gap also appeared on the remaster of Journey's Evolution cd which has been fixed on the recent Japanese mini-lp issues.

Chris Haley and kingofstoneage like this.
  13. MFSL's SACD for Pet Sounds had indexing errors on its first run; a corrected replacement can be had from Music Direct.

Panama Hotel, Chris Haley and jfeldt like this.
  14. whatnow?

whatnow? Forum Resident

I remember there being issues with the Fledg'ling reissue of The Incredible String Band's self-titled album on CD. I believe it was due to distortion on certain tracks.

Subsequent pressings were corrected.

PhantomStranger and Chris Haley like this.
  15. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

The same happens on the 2007 reissue of Pendulum's Hold Your Colour (with Blood Sugar and Axle Grinder on it instead of Another Planet and Still Grey).

The opening track Prelude is suppose to go straight into the second track Slam, but the 2 second gap ruins the effect. There are other examples of this on the album but this is the most glaring. The original 2005 release has all the tracks segue properly.

Jimmy Agates and Chris Haley like this.
  16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

It's safe to buy a copy on ebay, if it's brand new? :wave:

17. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

There's also the 'micro-pause' on the intro to 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' on the 1994 remaster of 'The Game', which they never bothered fixing until 2011.

Chris Haley likes this.
  18. On Frank Zappa's "Burnt Weeny Sandwich", 2012 remaster, there is a tiny drop-out or something about 6 or 7 seconds into the beginning of "Aybe Sea".

And this from Wikipedia, re. the previous CD releases (and reissue LPs): "Until the 2012 Zappa Family Trust reissue campaign, CD editions had a severe dropout at the beginning of "The Little House I Used to Live In" that wasn't present on the original LP pressing."

Chris Haley likes this.
  19. Chris Haley

Just to clarify, was the "Aybe Sea" drop-out ever corrected on the 2012 ZFT Burnt Weeny Sandwich CD? Thanks for the post!

20. I don't know. I'd be surprised it has been, since it is so minor. You need to really pay attention to notice it.

You're welcome!

Chris Haley likes this.
  21. Chris Haley

Cool, makes sense the 2012 ZFT Burnt Weeny Sandwich CD has a correct "The Little House I Used To Live In" since it uses the original 1969 analog master as its source. The Ryko Burnt Weeny Sandwich CD was a 1986 remaster (FZ approved master, 1993).

So the tiny drop out on "Aybe Sea" should be on the original LP as well.

22. MFSL CD of "Tommy" with the alternate vocal version of "Eyesight To The Blind".

john lennonist and Chris Haley like this.
  23. No it's not. I have this original LP as a reference.

And I can't tell if it is a remnant of the Ryko CD master since I don't have this one any longer.

Chris Haley likes this.
  24. Chris Haley

Good to know. I have both CD editions so I will compare them sometime in the future and post what I hear. Thanks!

25. The first pressing was unlistenable. They also provided replacements if you directly contacted the label.

Thinking about it now, the recent UK deluxe for Country Joe & the Fish's Electric Music for the Mind by Ace Records has a replacement disc where a few seconds got cut off on one song:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-2cd-deluxe-w-mono-stereo-mixes.309527/page-5

Chris Haley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.