CD/DVD Audio Errors/Glitches Database

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Haley, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

My Ryko BWS sounded OK as well

Chris Haley likes this.
  2. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Does anybody hear a small glitch on Garth Brooks's "Double Live" cd?

Go to The Dance at the 3:00 mark where he says 'but'.

Chris Haley likes this.
  3. There are quite a few discs in my collection that have glitches, and since none of these are yet to be mentioned I'll add them to this thread:

Radiohead - Com Lag
    Opening track 2+2=5 has quite a few notable glitches, though I believe these were corrected in a second print of this Japanese exclusive EP. Additionally, (due to supposed copy protection issues) the first version has problems with its multimedia content being recognised on some computers... Ironically, this is a live video of 2+2=5!

Queen - Made In Heaven
    Although the infamous Fat Bottomed Girls error on Jazz was finally corrected as part of the 2011 full back catalogue remastering campaign, Let Me Live suffers from a new glitch that wasn't present in the original release of the band's final album together.

Electric Light Orchestra - Afterglow
    Apart from most songs in this triple CD set having their channels switched, former exclusives No Way Out and Destination Unknown were briefly clipped, each losing approximately their first second of musical information. Thankfully, these can now be found without such mastering errors on the Legacy reissues of Secret Messages and Balance Of Power respectively.

Electric Light Orchestra - Secret Messages
    At some point after the original CD version of this album, two very obvious errors made their way into print. The first can be heard over the lyric "distant bells" on Stranger, while the other occurs near the end of the string break in Train Of Gold. Both are tape glitches caused by their parent album being remastered from a safety copy, and to my knowledge no version has ever been sourced from the original digital recordings. Furthermore, there has never been any attempt to correct the slightly delayed keyboard part heard throughout Stranger, which is a result of Jeff Lynne having to mix the whole of Secret Messages from tape backups, since he didn't have enough time back in 1983 to completely familiarise himself with digital technology.

Electric Light Orchestra - Time
    Until the 2001 remastering of this album, all CD versions featured an unintentional gap before Hold On Tight, ruining the flow of this concept album where many tracks are joined seamlessly. With the revelation of a previously unreleased introduction that made its debut on the Flashback retrospective (a replacement for the deleted Afterglow collection) in 2000, it became obvious this mistake was caused by an edit that had been noted for Time's vinyl and cassette pressings, but not the later CD edition.

Various Artists - American Hustle OST
    Although remastered from its original appearance as a Japanese exclusive bonus track in 2001 on the Zoom album, for some reason ELO's Long Black Road is presented on this collection in a mono mix, with no corrected version available yet to my knowledge.

The Beach Boys - M.I.U. Album
    Early CD pressings wrongly included an early mix of Come Go With Me (that was actually a 15 Big Ones era outtake!), though the later version I possess doesn't seem to feature this.

Brian Wilson - S/T
    The first expanded edition of this album from 2000 contained the wrong version of Melt Away, lacking some background vocals in its tag. However, this has since been corrected.

The Beach Boys - Endless Harmony OST
    This rarities compilation has at least three different versions, all with their own unique mix variations for certain tracks. While some pressings can be identified by their cover artwork, others were much harder to determine on sight alone. As with the previous example, I seem to own a later, fixed repressing of this CD.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Shard for the ELO info, Afterglow channel swap is a new one for me thanks, 20 some years of owning it never noticed, I'll get to checking them out, thanks

5. If I recall correctly the Fanny boxed set First Time in a Long Time features a digital glitch in the song "I'm Satisfied". Back in 2005 Rhino repressed that disc and sent it to to those that requested them. It had the same mistake leading me to believe it was never fixed.

There's also the clicking sound on the Mofi Music from Big Pink SACD on the Redbook layer.

Chris Haley likes this.
  6. I would provide a more comprehensive list of what had been channel-swapped on the Afterglow set, but my copy is now safely in storage and has been replaced on a daily basis with the Flashback compilation (not to mention the Classic Albums Collection box). However, I did burn a CDR of the songs that remain exclusive to this now-deleted retrospective, which also includes Jeff Lynne's limited solo output from the ELO period and his group's contributions to the Xanadu soundtrack.

7. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker Thread Starter

Where does this glitch occur? Was it ever "corrected" on subsequent pressings of the 2011 remaster. Thank you for your help!

8. I don't actually recall where the Made In Heaven glitch occurs during Let Me Live, as this is another one I've since filed away (in favour of the original 1995 release, which actually doesn't sound THAT different to my ears). Similar to what I did with Afterglow box mentioned before, I burned a CDR of this album, removing the lengthy untitled hidden track and using that space to include the 2011 remastered edition's bonus EP contents. To my knowledge, this is yet another error that's yet to be corrected, though I'm not very bothered as I've never really had a problem with the old version.

P.S. In a quick correction to my earlier post, I should point out that Flashback wasn't the immediate replacement for the Afterglow compilation - that was actually the 1995 double CD set entitled Strange Magic, considered by many fans to be the best digital source for quite a few of ELO's biggest hits.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    Chris Haley likes this.
  9. Chris Haley

I recently bought the Queen Platinum collection (2011 Remaster) to complete the 2011 reissue series, but don't recall any glitches on "Let Me Live" on Greatest Hits Vol. III? I'm assuming it's the same remaster as the Made In Heaven (2011) album track.

10. I've not actually compared Let Me Live from the 2011 version of Made In Heaven with its appearance on the similarly new Greatest Hits III, but if the glitch really isn't present then it's possible the whole album was remastered from a different source - I'm surprised QPL didn't notice this fault, especially after the previous issue concerning Fat Bottomed Girls. Still, it's not as big a problem to me because the 1995 release doesn't sound that different from what followed, unlike other titles in the back catalogue. The Miracle in particular suffers from bass guitar lines that are now less prominent at times, plus I'm stunned by how more obvious the drum machine parts are on some of the Innuendo material following its EQ adjustments.

11. Chris Haley

Just checked "Let Me Live" 2011 remaster on both Made In Heaven and Greatest Hits III (part of Platinum Collection) and don't hear any problems on that track on either CD. The Greatest Hits III is the EU edition while Made In Heaven is the US edition.

12. Chris Haley

KISS Destroyer (Resurrected) has a glitch (skip) at 5 second mark on "Flaming Youth." The track jumps ahead a few fractions of a second. AmazonUS is still selling bad copies as I just purchased one a couple days ago. However the copies I bought from FYE and Best Buy are corrected. You can also contact Universal Music for a replacement using [email protected].

Here are the bad vs good CD matrix to identify defective copies:
    Corrected CD Matrix: IFPI 50FE or IFPI 50DD
    Defective CD Matrix: IFPI 50A6

sandimascharvel and rock76 like this.
  13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Digital skip in "Spoonful" from the first WG Polydor "Wheels Of Fire" CD set. Corrected in the Polygram remaster.
    Volume drop during "Sweet Virginia" from the Columbia "Exile On Main Street". Fixed in the Virgin remaster.
    Digital clicks during "We're Not Gonna Take It" from the Tommy remix. Not present in later versions (2003 SACD hybrid and 2013 remaster).
    Pages missing from the booklet of the MCA/EH CD of "Axis Bold As Love" - replacement on request from MCA.

Chris Haley likes this.
  14. c-eling

Ministry-Twitch US Sire CD, -All Day Remix, pops and crackles through out, always thought is was part of the samples being used, but the 12inch lp single does not have it

15. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I didn't realize the mistake had been corrected -- I read about the error, have this CD and strained to identify the missing background vocals relative to the original version. It seems I own the corrected version (bought from Amazon in 2008).

16. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

Pixies - Bossanova mofi is that a defect on redbook layer during Velouria?
    Is it on SACD layer?

17. c-eling

What do you hear on Velouria? What time?

18. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

The DVD-A for the new XTC Drums and Wires reissue is defective. The last 2 tracks of the original mix will not play. Noted by the manufacturer. Replacements are supposed to be issued, but haven't found out how yet.

Chris Haley likes this.
  19. Chris Haley

Error on The Kinks Anthology 1964-1971 UK (EU) Boxset released Nov 17th, 2014:

On Two Sisters, about ten seconds in, the right channel seems to cut in and out. According to Andrew Sandoval this error will be fixed on the US boxset due to be released Dec. 15th, 2014. I haven't yet heard if Sony will offer replacements to folks who purchased the EU boxset?

20. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

To what defect are you referring?

Also, does anybody know if they ever issued replacements for the ZZ Top CDs with swapped channels from the The Complete Studio Albums 1970-1990 set or did they just let those slide?

21. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Is it safe now to pick up the Lizzy releases? Have they all been corrected?

22. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

There are some noticeable clicks during the beggining of the track.

23. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I can't hear it on my copy at all. I wonder if they fixed it.
    But, I had never realized there was a theremin on this song 'till now so what do I know.

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Saw this when perusing for errors in Hi-Rez discs, the alternate vocal version was not a mistake, Pete Townshend gave the label the tape to use. This was covered in ICE Watchdog shortly after the disc came out.

25. slane

slane Forum Resident

My copy of Come And Get It - The Best Of Apple Records has a glitch after the first line of vocals on James Taylor's Carolina In My Mind. Sounds like digital noise or something. I think my CD is fine playabilty wise, so do all copies have this glitch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.