CD inserts too big for jewel case

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Purple, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple

Purple Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone come across a situation where the back inserts are too big for standard cd jewel cases? Not excessive in length, but the side panels are too tall so the tray can't click in- about 3mm too tall. My questions then are:

1) anyone had this before;
    2) are there different sized cd jewel cases that I've overlooked;
    3) any suggested remedies.

The cd in question comes from a japanese import. The (low-valued) product otherwise seems legitimate, along with OBI and added lyric sheet. I'm leaning towards trimming (cutting) the panels a bit, but thought I'd inquire with the forum.

deredordica likes this.
  2. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Yes, some Japanese double CDs come with jewel cases that have wider spines, and wider inserts, which means if you break the jewel case, you're in trouble. I have a copy of Yessongs like that.

Galley and Purple like this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Myself, I have an aversion towards trimming or cutting artwork...
    YMMV

The Pinhead, Galley and Purple like this.
  4. Purple

5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

You could always fold the spines flat to fit the tray liner in a standard jewel case.

Purple likes this.
  6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

7. Purple

Just for future reference there is a thread here that discusses the issue. Namely that Japanese releases sometimes have larger jewel cases to accommodate the lyric sheets etc., and that finding replacements are difficult.

c-eling likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Aren't there still "Super CD" cases out there? Seems to me, I've run into some Japanese imports whose jewelbox was slightly bigger, to accept liner notes such as lyrics printed in both English and Japanese, or opera booklets?
    I know there are "Super SACD" cases, but that's not quite the same issue here.

9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

If I remember, the booklet on the 1987 Sgt. Pepper was *just* too thick to fit in the case.... the back cover usually got torn to all hell under the tabs.

David Campbell and Purple like this.
  10. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

Cd cases in general are a pain. The cover, whether a booklet or one sheet, never wants to go in or out very easily.
    The tabs for the hinge break if you even look at them wrong.

And yes - often times the booklet is impossible to get back in without some damage or preventing the jewel case from closing correctly.
    One has to wonder what gives since it was closed just fine when brand new.

I guess it is the same problem as trying to re-fold road maps or news papers. It was fine when you got it but trying to get it to fold flat again is hopeless.

The Pinhead and Purple like this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Elvis Costello wrote the liner notes to his 2001-2006 Rhino reissues. In addition to 10-12 pages of highly verbose, tiny-print liner notes, all of the lyrics to the album tracks and bonus disc tracks (excluding covers and some which would be redundant - should mention that most of the bonus discs are 20-30 tracks long) are included as well as photography/songwriting/publishing/copyright information. The booklets in question come in slimline double-CD jewel cases... yeah. Nine times out of ten it happens on the back cover in the upper-right corner. I always remove the front from the jewel case, slide the booklet in "backwards", and reattach it, to prevent further damage (or, more specifically, so that the case will close). There was a time that I simply kept the booklets separate from the cases, until a freak accident which mangled one of the covers.

You need a magnifying glass and a half hour to get through each booklet, but by the time you've read all 17 you'll feel like you read the most comprehensive music autobiography in history. He has an amazing way of describing the genesis of a track in five words and making you understand every nuance of it (frequently followed by a snarky dismissal of the song in question). And then there's the music... yeah, probably the best reissue series in history...

12. Purple

Just to update: this doesn't work because all the materials literally don't fit in a normal jewel case.

The actual dimensions: typical cd insert is 1/4" (6 mm) while these thicker or chubby inserts are 5/16" (8 mm). So if a standard jewel case is 3/8" these would need to be 4/8".

c-eling likes this.
  13. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I have the 1987 Sgt Pepper CD and the booklet was not designed to fit in the jewel case. It was slightly too large for that and it was enclosed in an outer cover. The actual jewel case is of normal size and it contains an inlay card showing the same cover picture as the booklet.
    I knew someone who tried to force the booklet into the jewel case with disastrous results.

14. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I know you didn't argue this, but is vinyl any better? Ring wear, dinged up covers, inner sleeves that don't go in easily or leave crap on an LP, etc.

CD cases aren't the picture of durability, but they protect well and when they fail somehow you just swap the contents into a cheap replacement. To be honest, they don't give me many issues...the odd one now and then but we're talking like 10% perhaps.

JPagan and bruce2 like this.
  15. TheLazenby

My copy never had the outer sleeve! Mine was just the booklet crammed inside the case, no inlay card.

16. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I did come across someone who had the same problem. Were some versions actually sold like that? (This should probably be for a separate thread as this is of no help to the OP.) :)

17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Think awhile back someone was trying to find those type of replacement jewels with no luck. My BS 1 ELO Out of The Blue was issued in one to contain all the extras, if this is what you are referring to
    [​IMG]

Purple likes this.
  18. Purple

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. They don't sell this kind of case separately - least, I've never seen it - so they'd have to be cannibalized from another release like this one. Thanks so much for sharing this - hopefully other (cheap) examples surface. This one looks like $30 - that's a lot just for a jewel case!

c-eling likes this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Agreed :laugh:
    Have you checked cdjapan? Not sure if they carry jewels or not, might be worth a shot.

20. TheLazenby

Yep! My American copy (circa 1997 or so) was bought like that. It wasn't until a few years later when I spotted the 'outer sleeve' version in a Borders.

fogalu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.