CD is dead? Here comes 100 MQA x UHQCD titles from Japan Universal Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Forum Resident

We've all been waiting for the perfect all-in-one new format, death of format, re-release everything again, MQA will kill us all, combo platter thread, and it’s finally here!

2. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Most folks should have their hearing checked before they start spending a lot of money on replacing any music. :)

ParloFax, vertical and zphage like this.
  3. angelo73

angelo73 vettvangur heimilisfastur

cheers - thanks for the link !
    I know of a few renowned engineers who have said it sounds impressive. I imagine it is going to be tough for the manufacturers of the playback equipment to convince the general public to invest in MQA CD players without any real way to demonstrate the advantages over standard format. In a way it is similar to the SACD vs CD debate, where there are no industry outsiders providing reliable consumer information in terms of actual same-mastering comparisons between those two formats. Now MQA adds another layer of complexity to the comparison process whereby the master itself is altered, leaving it to actual listening experience as the only way of convincing people to invest in it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. I agree, I’ll keep buying the different formats if I believe they sound good to me. And this justifies the Oppo 205 when they go back to the final production. Great avatar by the way!

angelo73 likes this.
  5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Forum Resident

Velvet Underground (never fully satisfied with any digital mastering I've heard, hopefully this will be the one)
    Brothers and Sisters (the US Drake mastering is my current favorite but I'm hoping for an improvement)
    461 Ocean Bvld (Can't believe I am getting another copy of this)
    John Barleycorn Must Die (I have the SHM-SACD which I like but this new mastering is from the original master instead of a Jpn copy tape)

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I heard the sound is so precise that you can actually hear the ridges of the guitarist's fingerprints as they glide over the guitar strings.

Waymore Lonesome likes this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

I'm still looking for a line that translates to, "All your bass are belong to USB." ;)

Waymore Lonesome and SirMarc like this.
  9. stever

stever Forum Resident

10. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the bunch

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Doing a quick Google of "Steely Dan Aja MQA CD" only shows cdjapan. So I'd assume that is the only place at this time to order the Aja MQA CD. There might be other ordering options but I'm happy to buy from cdjapan.

I went ahead and added the Aja MQA CD to the Royal Scam order. Who knows maybe this version will become the definitive Aja mastering. But then again maybe it won't. Nothing ventured nothing gained ;).

13. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Just waiting for Mr. Fagen to sign off on it. :D

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Well Donnie boy better get his pen out and get it done ;). All kidding aside with a 2018 mastering of The Royal Scam being done then I'm hopeful this release will happen.

15. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Why Royal Scam wasn’t released on JSACD is a mystery. Same goes for Can’t Buy A Thrill. It’s always Aja and Gaucho.

Why not ALL of the 70’s SD catalogue?

Shvartze Shabbos and fredblue like this.
  16. sound_mind

sound_mind Active Member

I Agree
    Going by the details on the Universal site for the Blue Note titles which were released on SHM SACDs and as DSD-64-DSF downloads last year.
    Blue Note SHM SACDs
    If the google translation is correct, they have up-converted the DSD64* master to 24-bit, 352.8 kHz (DXD) then compressed it using the lossy MQA technique.
    *I'm saying DSD64 as that was the resolution the Blue Note titles were released at last year. Possibly, the original tapes could have been transferred at DSD128. Even though the actual 2017 Blue Note mastering information was sketchy, it did state DSD not DXD.

17. Song4U

Song4U Forum Resident

Does anyone think these will sound any different if playing on just a regular CD player or even a blu-ray player with the DSD encoder?

I noticed that the Carpenters are getting a release on June 20th of "The Singles 69-73"
    What I found interesting on this release is that they are using the DSD Master from 2014 by Richard Carpenter & Bernie Grundman.

The Singles 1969 - 1973 [Hi-Res CD (MQA x UHQCD)] [Limited Release] Carpenters CD Album

Description
    "Reissue in Hi-Res CD format (UHQCD format x MQA technology). Features the DSD master in 2014 (by Richard Carpenter & Bernie Grundman), using US original master tapes. The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution (perfect for MQA-enabled audio players). Comes with lyrics and a description. Green color label coating. Comes in a slim case packaging. *The disc can also be played on regular CD players in UHQCD 44.1kHz/16bit resolution. However, MQA-enabled hardware/software is necessary to harness the full potential of this Hi-Res CD."

I bought the 2014 Super Audio CD ~ SHM with the DSD when Japan issued this back in 2014. The disc itself also has a green coating with the SHM and DSD logos.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  18. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

Remember. The good thing is not mqa, but the new transfer. They'll sound fantastic itself, as it happened with many shm/ shm platinum and shm sacd.....

19. formu_la

formu_la Pigs whisperer

True, but I wish they didn't mess with mqa and just offered SHM-SACDs.

sunspot42, soundboy, jhm and 4 others like this.
  20. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

I wish they simply offered cd....

21. This x 1000!

sunspot42, McLover and jhm like this.
  22. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Member

Can the Oppo UDP-205 play these in MQA? It can play MQA files but I don't know about CDs. Interesting that the Beach Boys Endless Summer is one of the titles with the original tracks only. Finally a Beach Boys compilation without Good Vibrations. I'll buy this one just for that.

DHamilton likes this.
  23. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

MQA is no assurance of master or quality. High res, it's not. By Redbook CD standards potentially excellent if mastered correctly from good sources.

24. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

That is more like it, much closer to quality.

25. edenofflowers

edenofflowers Forum Resident

"The DSD master is available in 352.8kHz/24bit high resolution"

352,800 Hz? Is that still sound or have we reached the frequency range of colours?