CD or SACD Audiophile Masterings of Joni Mitchell's catalog

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Feb 6, 2016.

1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

I'm listening to Joni Mitchell Hejira right now and simply wondering why we haven't seen a more extensive covering of her strong catalog beyond the DCC Blue and Court And Spark?

bug2362 and Planbee like this.
  2. Sales? Joni has become for more of a cult audience. It's not reflective on her music but on an audience that sometimes didn't transition to her new music.

3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

What's her vinyl reissue situation like? I see the target demographic as older vinyl buyers rather than SACDs.

4. mwheelerk

Many, many of the current offerings of audiophile masterings by Analogue Productions, Audio Fidelity and MFSL do not have current large market sales. That is not the target for those offerings. It is and always will be a niche or "cult" market.

5. That's true but I don't think,that those two cults overlap or maybe the cost of licensing it is too much? Personally, I'd love to have audiophile releases but I do like the boxed set that came out as well. Only a couple of duds in terms of sound.

That may be true but there's that large audience of younger vinyl buyers out there as well.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Joni Mitchell is not to everyone's taste, and I'm afraid that's putting it mildly. No one I know likes her singing... She seems to have limited appeal and that might be the reason the audiophile labels didn't and don't touch her catalogue - with the exception of DCC back in the 1990s, of course.

enfield likes this.
  7. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Ladies of the Canyon should get an audiophile treatment, strong album not to mention it must have some sizable audience for it as I will still hear Big Yellow Taxi and Circle Game on radio or a store PA now and then.

Revolver, wayneklein and lonelysea like this.
  8. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I have the Asylum and Reprise HDCDs from a few years ago and they sound pretty good to my ears. I would be all over some nicely done audiophile remasters/SACDs if they ever appeared as I feel she is one of the greats from that era - certainly on par with Dylan and Young (blasphemy, I know).

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I think some of her 70's albums on SACD would sell as much or more than another version of Abraxas (scheduled), Santana S/T (scheduled) or discs released previously such as Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow, the hundreth reissue of Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East and the Cruising Soundtrack.

I did ask Mobile Fidelity and they have nothing in the pipeline, of course this may all be moot due to licensing issues.

lonelysea, noname74 and Planbee like this.
  10. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Wild Things Run Fast was issued on gold CD by MFSL many years ago. I hope for SACD versions of all Joni's albums that were recorded to analog. I would not even consider price for a well done SACD of Hejira.

bluemooze, MLutthans, olinko and 4 others like this.
  11. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

I think there are two reasons for this:

Firstly, it seems to me that every single one of Joni's LPs and CDs were well recorded and mastered in the first place. Most of her 1960s and 1970s CDs have sneaked out as HDCD versions without any fanfare, and indeed the versions in the cheaply available Studio Albums 1968 - 1979 box are mostly HDCD masterings. To my ears the only HDCD master that is disappointing is Court And Spark.

Secondly, Joni has very good ears and her approach to recording is very hands on. She is a perfectionist and I suspect that she oversees the recording and mastering process personally, and does it very well.

Also, you can pick up LP copies quite easily and cheaply in the used market. I bought a mint first pressing copy of For The Roses recently for £3.50. I bought it intending to frame the perfect condition cover and was amazed to find the vinyl in perfect nick too.

jaxpads, Kristofa and wayneklein like this.
  12. Ditto. Some of them were in the boxed set.

13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I read that a lot of her catalog was prepared for 5.1 DVDA in the early 2000s. The only hope for those would be if Steve Hoffman and AF were to release them.

14. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Wow.
    Everyone I know likes her singing.
    Guess it depends who your friends are ...

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I was lucky enough to be at Ocean Way when Allen Sides was mixing the Both Sides Now album, and he mixed it 2-ch and M-ch to DSD. Joni and Larry Klein loved the M-ch DSD version during playbacks, but Warner Bros. refused to release it as an SACD, so it came out as a DVD-A instead.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/9631.html

Say It Right likes this.
  16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I would be excited if Audio Fidelity did Clouds.

17. I could see the more popular titles possibly. It would be cool to have these as part of the silver series SACD's/

18. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I prefer the original Asylum CDs to the HDCD remasters. In particular For the Roses and Hejira sound superb.

pulpo likes this.
  19. The boxed set had an interesting mix of them. If decoded, I think they sound pretty good as HDCD but I can also see a warmer mastering working as well.

20. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I don't consider Joni being in the same league as Dylan or Young blasphemy at all. At all.

21. I have the HDCD of Court and Spark and love the SQ.
    Why do you feel differently about that title?

22. mwheelerk

I went temporarily insane and forgot that one as I'm still searching for a copy (at a price I'm willing to pay)

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Kevin Gray cut Blue for Warner at 45 rpm, but it's never been released. I saw a test pressing at Rockaway Records but they were asking $200 for it. Has anyone heard it?

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I would think that there might be a market for a new reissue of Hejira given the recent press about Jaco. Also, Joni has had some health issues recently and I'd love to see her celebrated before we lose her.

All Down The Line and lightbulb like this.
  25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Ladies of the Canyon absolutely deserves a proper remaster, and I hate to think about the DCC CD which never saw the light of day.

bruce2 likes this.