CD players with RING DAC?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BIG ED, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident Thread Starter

Vinyl Anachronist, thank you VA, on the "Neutral CD Players" thread mentioned Ring DAC's.
    Does anyone know of players that use this DAC, along with Arcams.
    Would the Ring have a problem with de-emphasis?
    What DAC DO NOT have trouble with de-emphasis?
    As alway's, THANKS!!!

Picked up The Raspberries Fresh TOCP-6359 (Made in Japan), played it with 20-bit hand selected (matched) Burr-Brown PCM1702-K's.
    I WANNA BE WITH YOU, the reason I bought the CD in the first place, the vocals sounded brittle too no end. The rest of the CD was dry as a bone as well with the vocals, just not as glaring as the first track (IWBWY).
    Could this be the result of de-emphasis? :help:

2. BIG ED

Just played the 'Berries Fresh on a Linn Mimik. Trashed topend. However, MUCH clearer mids.

3. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

IIRC the only players to use the ring DAC were the Arcam's. CD92, Alpha 9 and one or two FMJ models. The chips were specialy developed for them by dcs, the inventor of this type of DAC.
    The new Arcam's don't use them anymore, they have gone to Wolfson's which, to my ears, sound wonderful. The Canadian distributor told me the ring DAC was very expensive and difficult to manufacture. The failure rate was high, he said about 20%.
    Of course these were weeded out at the manufacturing stage.
    dcs markets their own products, DACs for sure, maybe CD players too but very $$$$$$

4. BIG ED

Thank's Blair.
    I'll try and track down a Tube/Wolfson player.
    Which me luck!

5. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

The two companies I know for sure that use the Ring DAC are Arcam and dcs. dcs, unfortunately, charges around five figures for most of their components, which is why the Arcams are so special. I know a man who owns the dcs DAC and transport, which I believe is over $20,000. He tried out an Arcam CD23, which retailed at the time for $1999, in his sytem, and he said you get about 90% of the dcs's performance for a tenth of the price.

I think there may be another company or two using the Ring DAC right now...I thought I recently read a review of a new player that had it. Personally, I've heard the Arcam, and it's probably the best I've heard, next to the Naim CDS.

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

No problemo Ed.

I have the CD72 which has Burr Brown's. Am seriously considering the upgrade to the CD82 which has the Wolfson's Could trade in for the CD73 but the upgrade makes more sense financially.

The Rega's also use Wolfsons. It's a proprietary chip designed for the "Rega". Not the utmost in detail but very relaxing and smooth. Non fatiguing, analog like sound. Worth a listen if you get the chance

7. BIG ED

The AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000, uses a Wolfson Microelectronics WM8740 DAC chip (this is 24-bit 192kHz-capable two-channel part), on the TjoUpsampler board.

From the Nov. 03 Stereophile review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.