CD-r Label Maker Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kayaker, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member Thread Starter

I received a label maker kit (LabelCreator Pro) as a gift a few months ago and have been using it to make informative (not creative, not artistic) labels for my CD-r's and spine labels for the cases.
    I have two concerns (somewhat related):
    1) I recently read that these labels may cause the CD-r to go out of balance - throwing off the laser tracking. Can anyone confirm this?
    2) I also noticed on one of my labeled CD-r's, that the label has come somewhat "unglued" - bubbles under the label. Does anyone know the long term "adhesive" potential of these labels?

Thanks.
    Kayaker

2. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I've been doing CD-Rs since early 2002, and have had no problems with labels bubbling over time or going out of balance. My brand is Fellowes, btw.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I use Fellowes Neato labels without any problems whatsoever.

Even with the "precision" label applicators, you can get a label that is slightly not centered 100% perfectly. But, I have never heard any problems from this whatsoever in either ripping or playing.

I have been Fellowes Neato labels almost exclusively since 1998.

Label to your heart's content.

4. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I think your concerns are valid. If you are making CD-Rs for the car the last thing you want is a label jamming things. If you are making back-up CD-Rs to archive records, tapes, you don't want to put anything on it that will be harmful in the long term.
    Either way I'd say skip the labels, write the minimum info needed with a felt pen along the outer edge, where there's no digital for it to bleed into, and put all the track listings on the jewel box (or as text on the CD)

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

In experience, it really depends where you live, believe it or not. I live on the east coast, so if I start using over-the-top labels, especially in rugged situations like in the car, house, back and forth, the label starts to bubble and "walk" off the CD a bit. Some CD players end up not reading these discs in time, because the dye gets desheveled just a tad from the top coat, and the CD won't track anymore even though the label looks fine.

Every CD I've labeled with a top label has gone potty since. Even ones I don't take to the car.

Use top labels at your own risk. You're better off with branded CDs and using sharpies. Again, this is my experience, and it's very obvious on my end. I kinda miss doing them sometimes, so I make a labeled AND a sturdy copy, if it's something important.

Moisture and temprature conditions here aren't ANYTHING like Southern Cali or Arizona! I'm willing to bet there's a relation there. :)

6. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I completely agree! :thumbsup:

-Jeffrey

7. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I've only played around with a few Avery labels, so I don't know what the long term is for me yet.

However, we did get a letter from the Ford Motor Company warning about labeled CD-R's being played in their factory 6-disc in-dash CD-players - which we have in our 2001 Windstar van. I guess they've had problems with the labels peeling off the discs in the player and jamming up the works. Enough so that Ford felt they needed to send out letters to owners of their cars - obviously to fend off warranty requests to fix those players.

The few I've labeled haven't gone in the van yet since the van is not my daily vehicle, but my wife's. I'm still stuck with the cassette player in my car. Never had a problem with lables on cassettes :)

Joel

8. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Although I personaly do not label my CDR's a friend of mine loves labeling his. He has found that the premium Neato glossy labels works best and has never had a problem with peeling or bubbling. Many other brands he's tried eventually bubbled or started to peel.

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I don't label mine anymore. Some of my earlier CD-Rs that were labeled have begun to peel off and with it the data reflective layer containing the music! I suppose it depends on the outer coating of the CD-R brand itself. Some of them can probably handle it. I just don't want to lose my music.

Enter Mr Sharpie! :)

10. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for your knowledgeable answers.
    I will no longer make labels and will go back to using my sharpie.
    I will put the session info on a data card to go along with the cd case.

11. Grant

Possibly! The humidity is usually 50% or lower here during most of the year.

The problem is with the type of glue used in some of these products. So far, Fellowes Neato labels seem to be the best, thickest ones out there. I also like labels because they add an extra layer protection to the label side of the disc, which is the most vulnerable side.

12. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I use neato, and i've labeled a couple of hundred discs over a period of maybe five years. I've never had any problems. However, I have a changer in the car. It might be more stressful on the label pushing them thru those rubber dashboard openings.

13. Grant

My suggestion is that if a person wants to take their CD-Rs into the car, make a quick and dirty copy of it.

If you live in an area with high humidity, don't use labels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.