CD/record stores in Ft Worth, TX?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by JRB, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Nope on both counts. He listed the store on eBay sometime back. It re-opened (sorta) on Bowen Road, just north of Division Street, but by then it served as an eBay warehouse for the new owner. I don't know if it was the same guy, but the store was open for a little while in this strip-shopping-center close to Bowen & Park Row, but when I went there the other weekend, the place was gone. Don't know if it's been relocated or just shut down altogether.

2. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Yes! Their used CD selection is also quite good!

Unfortunately, also true.

Do you mean the one right across from Central Market? The store that was across the street from Hulen Mall has been closed for a couple years now.

3. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

4. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Another vote to stay as far away from Bill's as possible. A complete mess, overpriced, everything that everyone here has said so far. I can't remember the last time I heard/read anything positive about that place.

5. JRB

JRB Forum Resident Thread Starter

I made a trip into Fort Worth today and stopped by Forever Young. They were a bit pricey, but in my opinion well worth it. My reaction when I walked into the place basically consisted of the following steps:

:bigeek: :edthumbs:

I spent about 170 bucks by the time I was done. Luckily, I don't have a wife to kick me out on the couch tonight, so no harm done.

I'm gonna swing by half price books tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendations!

6. :cool: well, spill it....what are you hauling back North?

and thanks for spending those Greenbacks down here!! :laugh:

7. JRB

Well, when I first walked in the door there was a Zydeco section staring right at me. Since that stuff is virtually unheard of in VA I had to snatch up a Chris Ardoin and a couple Beau Jocque CDs. Unfortunately they didn't have the last two Keith frank CDs. They said something about not being able to find a distributer for them. I also picked up a Sister Rosetta Tharpe compilation. Then I started looking for some of my target vinyl

- 2 Oak ridge Boys 45s with non-LP B sides, one of which was a near mint Elvira/Woman Like You to replace my scarred up one from my childhood

- 5 Hank Jr MGM 45s with non-album B sides
    - Oak Ridge Boys "With Duane Allen Out Front"
    - Hank Williams Jr "Sunday morning"
    - Hank Williams Jr. "Removing The Shadow"

I intnded to get the Tish Hinojosha "Culture Swing" CD to replace my tape but I lost it somewhere in the store when I put it down to browse a bit! heh

maybe not forum favorites, but all pretty hard to come by up there in the Washington DC area.

I could spend all day in that place and still find stuff I'd want. Their inventory is amazing.

8. :cool:

Tish is a guilty pleasure that just a few know about :shh:

9. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

yeeeeee-haw!!!!

10. JRB

True. I was hooked when i saw this video on TNN back when the album came out. :love:

11. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:09fuxqthldae

this fantastic cd introduced me to not only Tish, but Marcia Ball and Jimmie Dale Gilmore, his tune has the greatest rejection line ever, "she said...your not the water, you're just the wave."

Great Live comp of Texas Music, as opposed to Country Music

12. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

What did you find at the bookstore out on the Interstate?

13. JRB

I went to the Half Price by Ridge Marr mall today. Nice bookstore, and about what I expected as far as their music selection. Not too much and it wasn't organized very well, but there were a few gems - a pretty good condition Elvis Essential 70s masters for 40$, which I had to pass up, a couple Near mint Hank Jr MGM albums for 5 and 6 bucks, and a Mamas and papas Plaid-backed "People Like Us", and a scratched up Mamas and papsa Greatest Hits for 3$

Not bad, but if I had made the trip just for that alone I would have been disappointed. Had some time afterwards and thought about trying to find Docs, but I didn't have the address or directions with me.

I guess I just never had too much luck finding targets or the uncommon stuff. :shrug:

14. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

Finding rare stuff cheap isn't as easy as I would like....

At the Half-Price Books Northwest Hwy "mothership" I found a MoFi Songs for Swingin' Lovers! by Frank Sinatra with some light scratches but the rest nice...$20. They had two Coltrane Mofi's but at $100.

I also picked up a RUSH "Snakes & Arrows" 5.1/wmv/2-ch hirez box for $11.

At CD Source down the road I bought an NM original Billion Dollar Babies lp (Green label, bill, not punched jacket) for $5 along with the Record Store Day Dylan 7".

At CD Universe I got a "Love over Gold" Dire Straights London Atomic CD which I like better than the target for $8. I also got Righteous Bros RHino 2cd compilatino for $7.

I bought a stack of new JAZZ CDs at Borders for $6

Is Docs open on Sunday?

15. houston

houston Forum Resident

I'm here to save the day....from Ridgemar Mall, take Interstate 30, east, for 8-10 miles, exit north on loop 820, go 5 miles or so, and exit pipeline road, going east (it is Glenview, if you head west)....go one full block, turn into the Toys R Us center, next to Toys R us is Movie Trading Company, decent selection of used cd's, and there is a Donald Fagen Target there NOW...then go east again, 3 blocks, at pipeline and Precinct Line, and there is Doc's, as of last week the Prince 1999 target was on the shelf....I have both discs, or I would have scored them myself....but you better hurry

16. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Don't know if you're still here or not, but you've been given some good info. I haven't been to Bill's Records in many years, but from what I read here, nothing has changed. I remember records absolutely STUFFED into bins to the point of being damaged (the covers, anyway) and prices that were quoted by Bill at the check-out counter and they were just ridiculous. How that guy stays in business, I will never know.

Forever Young is great, they have a HUGE store, and they may have stuff you are looking for, but it might be a bit pricey. They will have new stuff too. That's the best store around here if you are looking for something specific.

Half Price Books is always worth a look, and there's lots of stores around, but they sometimes think they have a precious rare record on their hands and they price it accordingly. And they'll have it for years. They are best for stuff that isn't exactly rare, but something you may be looking for; I found a Japan-pressed Wings Greatest cd there about two weeks ago, cost me $7.98.

Haven't been to Doc's yet, but I really should go; he's my dentist!! (And a good guy!)

17. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Doc's is at 714 W Pipeline Rd., Hurst, TX 76053. You might want to call first to make sure he's open. Sorry, don't have the phone number.

18. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Doc is open Tuesday through Saturday, 11 to 7. Closed on Sunday and Monday.

19. JRB

Thanks for all the great tips!! I'm leaving in a couple days, but I'll be sure to hit Docs when I come back around June. I made a second trip to Forever Young to pick up an import that i just found out was out of print and also came away with a couple decent used CDs. Forever Young seems to really understand the state of the market and makes an effort to offer products that the big chains won't. I think if record stores followed their example the music retail industry would be in an entirely different place than where it is now.

My uncle said that the local Mom n' Pop video store here in Mineral Wells also sells music. I'll have to try to remember to stop in there and see what they have.

20. houston

houston Forum Resident

I hit the Ridgemar Mall Half-price books today, and came away with Jermaine Jackson's self-titled cd from 1984, the one that went for big bucks on ebay a few years back, before the remaster came out in 2005...I had bought the remaster, and it was atrocious, as bad an ear-bleeder as I've heard...I paid $1 for it today, the original Japanese pressing, has some scratches, but plays perfect, and is gentle to my ears....however, my Japan disc obsession may have gone a bit far, because I also purchased Robert Goulet's greatest hits, also made in Japan...yes, Robert Goulet :wave:

21. JRB

congrats :righton:

22. houston

houston Forum Resident

I hit Doc's for the second time, today, came away with 3 nice price cd's....they are supposed to expand, hope they do, soon....yesterday morning I visited Forever Young, and I have to tell this story:
    I pull into a parking space at 9:54 a.m,, I am waiting untill 10:00 to go in, while listening to the radio, minutes later a small car pulls in next to me, 3 spaces over...I look and see heaps of trash in that car, taco bell wrappers, plastic soda cups, etc....I literally can not see any part of the driver, the trash is so thick and piled high...I MUST see who this person is; 2 minutes later the store Owner/Manager waddles out, if you have been to Forever Young you know who he is....weighs around 350 LBS., long/shaggy red beard that has gone uncut and untrimmed for easily 20 years, he walks into the store with a cigarette dangling from his mouth; I was at once aghast, yet I also thought, here's a guy who does whatever the Hell he wants, and has been for years...and he seems like a nice guy :help:

23. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

That's a funny story! I have been over and seen him too. He is a nice guy.

24. JRB

Hes the owner? I got the impression it the skinnier guy with the gray hair and beard.

25. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I think you are right....the larger fellow is just an employee....I believe the owner is often seen doing the buying and has a son who is active in the store.

Two weekends ago I got a lot of nice CDs (Japan for US, Japan for Japan, OJC, etc.) at Entertainmart (all Cds were $3 off making most $4).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.