CD Storage Racks - What are you using?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cliff, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man Thread Starter

I think there was a thread on this a while ago, but I can't find it now... What are you guys using for storing your CDs? I bought a Boltz Rack for my DVDs, and I am very happy with it. But for CDs, the Boltz I'm looking at would be $269! Thats way out of my price range. I'm hoping to spend in the $100-150 range, and prefer a metal construction. What would you recommend? Thanks.

2. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Cliff, I just use a big ol' tower for most of my discs. It's not metal though. Cheap wood. :laugh: Oh well. It's held up well over the years and keeps everything accessable. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it was definitely less than $150. I got this at a local music store:

Attached Files:

3. sydriver

sydriver New Member

Are CDs supposed to be stored vertically or horizontally or does it matter?

4. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I have several cheaply made pine racks that hold 750 each that I have painted black. I also have two of the following units. One I use for CDs and the other for DVDs (adjustable shelves):

Leslie Dame

If I had to do it over again, I would have started with these from the get go. They are made of particle board, but seem to be very sturdy.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Horizontally. Always.

Clean planks. Stanley© "L" brackets. Drill, screws into beams.

Attached Files:

6. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

How they not fall over the edge?

BOB

7. Sckott

The planks are straight. 4" wide.

Attached Files:

8. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

OMG - Nice Collection - Now how do you decide what to listen to?
    Do you have one for LP's also:)

What's your opinion on how much we should spend on a CD player?
    Or as a percent of the total system value?
    Now that I have some Grover cables, I was wondering if to upgrade from my Sony $200 unit...

I have no wall space so I have my CDs stored in the plastic drawer units from Office Max - fits 2 rows side by side perfect.

9. Sckott

I bless every dollar I've spent on media. I've crossed my finger with every CD player I've either bought, taken home, fixed or refurbished.

This Denon DCM-444 was a 6-CD changer I found in the dump. The loading mechanism is primitive but simple and very sturdy. This is a TANK of a CD player, but many people would argue if this 20-bit 8X oversampling engine is out of date. It really sounds nice.

It's problem? Stupid $10 magazine. Notice it says "pioneer" on the mag. A Japanese company licensed the magazine and loading design to several manufacturers.

It changes very quickly and yes, you have to load the CDs upside down :rolleyes: because it loads from below reading from the top.

The best sounding CD player I have yet is the Sony 777 SACD I have upstairs with the Hafler amps.

Attached Files:

10. Sckott

Now, as far as the Lps, many "mill stores" carry this 3X cubicle. I once had to compete with a clothing store because they were going to buy the store's whole lot.

Now, concentrate on the darker bottom shelf. See how it's perfectly spaced off for Lps? Price was about $8-11 each, and I just use some "Zip" stain that is applied with an old T-shirt and dries overnight. The top racks are stacked "Napa Valley" crates. They still stand up very well, but thier days are numbered. I only have 3 of them. They're temps.

This is only a very small collection of lasers and LPs I have, but a good example of the cubes. I swear by them.

These cubes are really VERY strong, very stylish and are easy to use. Stain and stack. You're done. Sorry for the mess....

Attached Files:

11. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man Thread Starter

I guess I shouldn't complain, Sckott. You've probably got $269 in wood alone ;)

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm pretty much convinced I'm going to have to build my own LP storage "cubes", having thought about it for years but have not had the room to use them. I'm thinking something similar to Sckott's but using something that can be stained. (Not MDF in other words.)

For CDs I currently have a couple of those wood CD racks that consist of three wood dowels per row, holding the CDs on a slight angle (two on bottom, one behind). The overflow from these racks is currently scattered around the rest of the basement on bookshelves and, unfortunately, any other flat surface I can find.

I never did understand those CD storage racks that have slots in them. For someone who keeps everything alphabetical like I do, getting a new Adam Ant CD, for example, would have meant moving hundreds of other CDs in and out of the slots to make room for the new one.

13. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member

I have the Can-AM storage units. They are great, but ever since I sold most of my collection, they have been sitting empty.

[​IMG]

Can Am

14. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Me neither. I think they were designed years ago for people that maybe had 50 CDs. I remember in like 1991 or so, I was in Tower Records in the Village in NYC with a friend and we were discussing how we needed HUGE CDs racks for our collections (we both work in the biz) and people were looking at us like we were crazy.

15. Sckott

I have one of those. I don't have hundreds of SACDs (yet) but that's what that rack is good for. Yes, pain when you have to move things <==> thusly.

16. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

If you really want metal check out Boltz

Peace-
    Norm

That's what I get for reading every other line of your post on the fly.
    I now see you are already down with Boltz
    Sorry...
    :sigh:

17. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I used to have the Pioneer 18-disc changer with those magazines, and I loved the upside-down feature. No scratchy scratchy on the playing side that way.

My discs are stored on cheap pine units similar in design to the rack behind the tower in ascot's picture.

18. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Jason, the rack you're referring to fell apart on me and had to be re-glued. :rolleyes:

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You know those cheap storage shelves, made of wood, about four shelves high? You can get them at the Home Depot.

I cut the shelves in half (so they are two boards thick instead of four) drilled a few screws instead of nails and secured them to the wall. Looks close to what Sckott has but I have sides to mine.

Takes a bit of work, but if I can do it, you can do it!

Or simply do what Sckott has done. Stained wood looks classy....

20. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My Magnavox changer from about 1990 does the same...but the magazines are different. On closeout, I found some Onkyo cartridges that were exactly the same as my Magnavox. #1 disc is on top.

The Alpine in the Honda loads label side up, but the #1 disc is on the bottom. My Sony changer in the Buick loads label side up, but #1 disc is on top.

ACK!!

21. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

Hi all, this weeks Art Van flyer has a storage rack that holds 1000 CDs for $87. It is black, 8 shelves high, probably made of fake wood. It does have piece across the top so you can put stuff on top of it.
    Wynn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.