CD Stores in Austin and San Antonio, TX

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tom H, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

Howdy y'all!

I'll be visiting the Austin - San Antonio, TX area soon and I'd like to do some shopping for music. I collect only CDs. Looking for any CD stores (especially "used CD" stores) in the area that I should check out.

Thanks!

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Forum Resident

Haven't been in that area for about 10-12 years but my favorite then was.....

WATERLOO !!

Downtown near the river/Lake Austin.

Tom H and Jeff Kent like this.
  3. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Not many to chose from in Austin, yet I'm sure you can find something at the few stores.

Of course there is Waterloo Records. Their used section isn't huge but to be honest I always see something I want to buy. The store annoys me a bit, but I go when I need to.

There's also a handful of Half-Price Bookstores with used CD's, and Encore if you lean toward metal and hardcore.

End of An Ear sounds like a great place, I think they cater more to used vinyl.
    From what I hear that's the best place to go, sounds like a down-to-earth place.

You should check out Antones Record store, although they are mostly vinyl. Cool old store,
    at least it was when I used to go. Lots of history in there.

Tom H likes this.
  4. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'll second Waterloo, fantastic shop with a huge selection and friendly staff. I'll also recommend End of an Ear, also in Austin. It doesn't look as impressive from the outside, but a great selection within.

Tom H likes this.
  5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Did anyone say Waterloo? Of course they did.

Tom H likes this.
  6. efhjr

efhjr Well-Known Member

In Austin, End Of An Ear is a great store. I've scored many many treasures from them over the years. And be sure to visit The Sound Gallery -- it's an amazing hifi shop with a great selection of vinyl.

Here in San Antonio, the pickings aren't nearly as good. Friends of Sound, Imagine Books and Records, and Hogwild are what I'd recommend.

Tom H likes this.
  7. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

As mentioned Waterloo should be your primary stop. Their new arrivals section is bigger than some shops' entire inventory. Also, check out the various Half Price Books locations. End of an Ear has a fairly small but well curated selection of CDs. There is almost always something of interest there and the prices are cheap (they are making their money on the vinyl). Antones also has a small cd section, but it tends to be less interesting and more expensive than End of an Ear.

Aggie87 and Tom H like this.
  9. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Well-Known Member

Don'f forget to check out the live music scene on 6th street downtown.

Tom H likes this.
  10. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Well-Known Member

It's too bad you couldn't hold off your trip to Sept. 30th/Oct 1st as that is the weekend for the Austin Record Convention. There are sellers in there who do cd's, of course the show is primarily vinyl. IIRC the table count is 350 or so. Biggest record show in the USA for sure!

I agree with everyone here regarding Waterloo. They've been in the biz for a long time and is a well run business. End of an Ear is a good store as well, though not nearly the size of Waterloo.

11. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I was in Austin last month. In addition to Waterloo I would suggest Antone's Record store. It's now owned by drummer Mike Buck (ex Fabulous T-Birds, Leroi Brothers etc.) and his wife. I didn't have time to stop by the Antone's night club but they said that there was a small shop with records in the front of the club that was worthwhile.