CD version of Andrews Sisters Rarities

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Although Steve didn't master the CD version of this album compiled in 1980, the CD does sound like it came flat from the LP master so even the CD has the Hoffman touch. I highly recommended to any Andrews Sisters fan, even casual fans of their stuff will be delighted with much of this material. Thanks Steve for compiling this album in 1980.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You're welcome.

Patty Andrews of the Andrews Sisters helped me program it! A very wonderful lady.

3. BradOlson

I'm glad Patty was willing to help you program the compilation and any Andrews Sisters fan who doesn't have this LP or CD yet must get it. As the discography notes, Steve did not master the CD, but the CD does sound like it's a Hoffman project anyway coming right off of the LP master. I have never met her, but it shows right through the music and the fact she helped you compile it, what her personality is like in many ways. There is definitely more to their music than the signature songs and all that so please pick this up ASAP.

4. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I'm glad this came up. I was just thinking yesterday of trying to find a good Andrews Sisters collection. Any recommendations for a quality hits collection? I think I'd even be in the market for a good box if such a thing exists. I've begun to take an interest in World War II-era artists, and obviously, the Andrews Sisters are near the top of that list. Any recommendations on a good Bing Crosby collection?

5. BradOlson

I have a budget 3 CD Golden Greats CD on Bing Crosby taken from UK PD sources but is legitimate as it is on Disky, which is owned by EMI, that sounds excellent. If Bing's C&W material is your cup of tea, ASV does have an excellent sounding Bing CD called "I'm an Old Cowhand." For a hits comp on CD, I have the 60th Anniversary Collection which although it doesn't state who did the "Audio Restoration," the material was No-Noised like many of the MCA hits CDs obviously do have. UK labels do have Andrews Sisters CDs available including ASV, Pearl Flapper, Disky's Golden Greats series, etc. The Best of The Andrews Sisters 2 LP set issued in the late 1970s is rechanneled. If they came from mono sources, those are the best reissues available. None of the Disky Golden Greats series of 3 CD compilations in jewel cases have any liner notes, but the music makes up for it. In the case of the Bing, it has almost all of the Bing I need. Jasmine does have an Andrews Sisters boxed set available as well.

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Thanks, Bradley. I know excessive NR is something to consider with this material, so that's something I'm very mindful of. Any idea how the Capitol Collector's series Andrews Sisters CD measures up? I'm new to this era, so I'm not sure if their Capitol output includes their war-era sides or if that material was on another label...or if Capitol even existed at that time. I've got plenty to learn about this era! I know Collector's Choice was offering CDs of V-Disc recordings...do you have any of those?

7. Steve Hoffman

DECCA for the Andrews Sisters only please! 1937-52. (That means CD's released on MCA or Universal).

8. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up, Steve. :) I'm still learning!

9. BradOlson

The Capitol disc mainly includes stereo remakes of the Decca hits and isn't essential unless you are a completist and/or one of the stereo only type of music listeners. The UK PD discs obviously contain the 1937-52 recordings as well. In fact, the entire "The Andrews Sisters in Hi-Fi" album is on the Capitol Collector's Series disc. But if you want your Decca material from the original master discs, buy the MCA or Universal discs.

10. BradOlson

I don't have any of the V-Disc CDs yet

11. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Great. Thanks again! Nothing wrong with mono. :)

12. BradOlson

Exactly right, there is nothing wrong with mono.

13. Steve Hoffman

Bradley, I didn't think that my "Andrews Sisters Rarities" CD was still in print. Is it?

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

You can't go wrong with this one: Andrews Sisters and Bing Crosby. Very fun, great sound, and some very entertaining flubs and outtakes. Music to lift your spirits in a troubled time.

Mike Dow likes this.
  15. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Steve:

I saw one in a store a few weeks back, so there are still copies "in the pipeline", if nothing else.

-Kevin

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

17. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Hey, that looks like a great set! Thanks for the tip. :)

18. BradOlson

Rarities is still in print and retails for $6.98.

19. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Nice. I'll be sure to nab one.

20. BradOlson

Please do so, you'll be delighted.

21. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Andrews Sisters, Steve, $6.98...I'm sure I will! ;)

22. BradOlson

If you haven't checked out the Manhattan Transfer's Atlantic recordings, do so. This is music recorded from the 1970s-present heavily influenced by the Andrews Sisters and it shows in their music. Many of their best albums are still in print as well.

23. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Believe it or not, their version of "The Boy From New York City" from 1981 was the first 45 I ever bought. Great harmonies. :)

24. BradOlson

Neat story and that shows us that the Andrews Sisters are right up your alley and if you want to go back further than the Andrews Sisters, the Boswell Sisters are right up your alley as well.

25. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I came across this little oddity on eBay and thought I would share it as I can’t seem to find any record of it here or on the internet. It has the same tracks as the Steve Hoffman LP but a very different cover and on a label called Rainbow (apparently Australian from the early 90’s). I don’t have the original so wouldn’t know if it’s the same master? Anybody know anything about this CD?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.