CDBaby.com dropping FLAC, going MP3-320 max

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TonyCzar, Sep 20, 2017.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bought an album download from CDBABY today ("What More Can You Take?" by ESG), and while CDBaby (TTBOMK) never offered hi-res, they often offered FLAC (usually of unknown provenance, sure). Anyway, there was a banner pushed as part of the purchase process tonight notifying that in the coming months, CDBABY downloads were going to be maxed out at MP3-320kbps.

Furthermore, if one has already-purchased FLACs in their CDBABY locker/purchase history that they haven't gotten around to downloading, now might be the time, because even the already-purchased FLACs will be going away once this transition is complete, and you'll have to make do with the MP3-320s.

2. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Any idea why they are doing this?

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident Thread Starter

No reason or definitive deadline were offered. But the notice went up some time between July (my last visit) and tonight. I was able to download tonight's new purchase (ESG's final album - they're packing it in) in FLAC.

4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Shame. I have purchased from them a couple of times that FLAC hasn’t been available elsewhere. They should really be doing it the other way around.

5. norliss

norliss Well-Known Member

Depressing.