Cds demise, or not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Technocentral, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

True, but that was something romantic in it. Waiting for the CD to come out (or to get the budget, since I was a teenager back then), then delve in it for days and days. The age of overinformation is cool for many aspects, but if I struggle to remember any album there must be a reason.

2. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

I've probably mentioned this elsewhere, but since the conversation is turning generational, I offer this bit of evidence.

r/Cd_collectors

Reddit is more youth-oriented and looking at some of the items these people are collecting, you might shudder. But, this is proof that there are younger people who are into collecting physical music. They may not have the same tastes or have concerns about sound quality and mastering (yet), but they are still out there. And to see someone showing off a collection of 5 CDs collected over a couple months is certainly nostalgic. When you're young, you don't have a lot of money to spend on things like that. But you're proud to be getting started, and that's promising.

I joined that group about a year ago when there were only a couple hundred members. Now it's almost 2000. Not too bad of growth for a year.

no.nine, JimW, paulisdead and 2 others like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Nice to see Anachostic, thanks for posting it.
    Someone found a KMFDM-Light single, sweet! I remember buying that at retail- a little Grandma and Grandpa shop on Hilton Head where most of the titles were Jazz and Classical :laugh:

4. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I've also encountered many young people who are in fact big on having a physical copy of their media of choice. Even video games. With game publishers pushing digital downloads HARD (its cheaper for them to distribute) these aforementioned young people are almost singlehandedly keeping physical media in games alive.

5. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

There's still no argument for brickwalling for any reason. There are algorithms now for calculating the perceived loudness of a track and adjusting the volume of each track to match. Further compression can be done at the software level, if desired. They should master everything with full dynamic range and let the streaming software manage the loudness, then give us the option to turn it on and off depending on what what we want. I think Spotify does something like this now (just going from memory - I don't have Spotify).

ian christopher likes this.
  6. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Yes, but to some that analogue distortion can sound nice. Again, it’s personal preference. I like both formats and find some albums sound better on vinyl while others are CD for sure.

Sear, nick99nack and Wugged like this.
  7. nick99nack

I wonder how much longer this is going to last. Someone told me that they purchased a hard copy of a game, only to have to download stuff anyway (updates or features). It's almost not worth getting anymore.

8. nick99nack

Correct. Our host has said that when he masters discs, he sometimes uses different tubes as EQ. Wouldn't this technically be distortion as well, then? Of course, it's pleasing distortion - just like vinyl can have pleasing distortion too.

JimW and paulisdead like this.
  9. paulisdead

That’s pretty much the difference between analogue and digital. Analogue gear won’t the capture the transients as fast as the digital conterparts. Tube add harmonic distortion, but it all sounds musical and pleasant to the human ear.

That’s why engineers still use analogue gear in the signal chain if they can. And of sending a digital mix to tape has also become a very popular method in the digital era to add that tape warmth to a mix (or those without tape will use a tape saturation plug-in).

ian christopher and nick99nack like this.
  10. paulisdead

I guess I’m giving the industry a lot more leeway than I should for their lazy practices.

When I was studying Sound Production, we were taught NOT to brickwall and how it was bad practice to send a brickwalled mix to a mastering engineer. That was back in 2002 - so what the hell happened!?!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Yes, but vinyl adds distortion to everything.

12. Thievius

Exactly why leading up to the current generation I was a physical guy when it came to gaming, yet bought nothing but digital this time around. The publishers made sure that the disc version was merely a shell of the actual game, often unplayable in some instances because it wasn't even finished without needed patches. Its also one reason why my gaming has trailed off in recent years. I've no interest in rewarding that kind of practice.

Thankfully though, music fans haven't had to deal with that kind of thing when it comes to digital versus physical. There's no parallel I can think of, anyway

13. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

There are quite a few CD's I've heard where I thought the music hadn't been finished…………………. :D

nick99nack likes this.
  14. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

Were they Swedish ?

Wugged likes this.
  15. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

It's starting to happen, though. Kendrick Lamar's album last year was tweaked after the initial CD pressing. Kanye West pretty famously continued to tweak his "Life of Pablo" album weeks after release, so I think that was download only initially.

I can think of a few albums going back a few years that a popular single was added to after the initial release.

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

If I can go to a store and buy it, I have access to it any time I want. If I just stream movies, I run the risk of it not being there when I want to see it. It's that simple.

DME1061 likes this.
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

If "big media" has made a movie and a hardcopy of that movie that they want to sell to you. It's still "big media" making or not making a product available to you. You wrote, "I'm sitting here thinking that we really are at that point where big media can control what we can see or hear." I'm saying, "big media," was controlling it when you were buying the DVD of 40-Year-Old Virgin too. You may prefer the product model to the service model, but either way it's "big media" deciding what gets produced, what gets distributed, what goes out of print, etc.

ian christopher and jay.dee like this.
  18. Grant

I don't care what the medium is, just as long as I have access to the movie. The streaming model takes that away.

19. Thievius

Come on, man. Its fairly obvious what he meant. You buy the Dvd, blu ray, Vhs, whatever, you have some semblance of control over that media. You walk downstairs, it's on your shelf. The powers that be cannot disperse media fairies to come and confiscate your copy during the wee hours of the night. It's always there, ready to go.

Next up on Straw Man Arguments We've All Heard Before: You only own a license to play your media and don't actually "own" anything.
    And yet, we still enjoy a certain amount of control over the media we purchase. Thus, the reason some people prefer PHYSICAL MEDIA.

20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Streaming is like cable TV for music. You buy the premium service and you get access to a mix of programming and some of it sometimes comes and sometimes goes. Lots of people subscribe to premium movie channels even though the movies available on 'em come and go regularly. Other people by movies and tv series for that matter on DVD. Some people are obviously attracted to a similar model for music. Others not. With specific reference to what you postee earlier that I was replying to, my point was about the issue you raised of "big media" control-- if you're watching Infinty War on HBO or DVD or in the movies, its still happening as a result of big media control of the property and distribution.

21. Grant

I'm fully aware of what streaming is, thank you. It doesn't mean I have to like it or use it.

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

"Big media" control is the strawn man. I understand the preference for the product model. But I think the issue of media control of what is available is maybe just kind of more obvious now, but it was alway bug media companies for the most part deciding what was available and how.

23. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

With physical media, once bought, you have it forever. What happens after that is irrelevant.

24. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Great info, just not sure how it relates to my comment where someone asked anyone to name anything CDs do better than vinyl.

And it doesn't matter. This conversation has run its course and I keep getting sucked back in.

Vinyl is here. CDs are here. Streaming is here. None are going anywhere soon. I already own most of the music I'll ever need in my lifetime. There is no crisis here, just another format that will be on top today and in 15 years we will be discussing how streaming hasn't worked out and now everyone is......

25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I understand that. My comment was not about that. It was about this idea of "big media" control and the kind of bogeyman of censorship and media, and as some have thrown around in this thread, government control of what people hear as a reason for being anti-streaming. What you're describing is the difference between "big media" selling you a product and you subscribing to a service that provides access to "big media" productions. My point was just that either way it's "big media" and some company is in control of what gets sent to market (unless you're buying direct from artists or from very small independent companies, which is of course also part of today's mix, made more economically feasible by the new tech).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.