Cds demise, or not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Technocentral, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I hate streaming! We should be given the choice, which at the moment we’ve got.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, "should" doesn't really enter into it though. It's not like people have a unalienable human right to music on CD or music on physical media. As long as people can make money selling music on CDs, and as long as device makers are producing optical drives, there probably will be music on CD. How much, and what, will depend on the demand for the hard copies and the availability of parts for the players.

I mean, right now, a lot of the music I am interested in finding is some avant garde jazz music I missed out on in the '70s and '80s -- little of what I've been looking for is available any longer on in-print CD. But a fair amount of it, though not all of it, is available on streaming platforms, which I'm quite thankful for, I can hear it now together will a lot of other music at a fixed cost of $10 a month. I'm finding that wonderful. When it's not, or when there's been something I know I want to listen to over and over, I've gone out on the used market for CDs and, if necessary, LPs, though some things I've begged off buying because of cost. I'd love the CD reissue of Anthony Davis' Lady of the Mirrors with the extra tracks vs. the original LP, but it's hard to come by for less than $45, that's more than a quarter year's worth of what I'm paying for streaming just for one album.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  3. And when you stream music what format is it in? Also, the word “should” should come into it. Just because you’re into streaming it doesn’t mean everyone is.

dalem5467 and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

You are confusing creators with their audience. There is of course overlap but they are primarily two separate things.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  5. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

The new cars without CD players is what really bothers me. My two vehicles are nearly 15 years old so sometime in the next 5 years I will probably have to buy a new car or truck. Back when I was a boy cars only came with AM radios. When an FM rock station started up in Raleigh the FM converter came along and we could listen with a little money and effort until car radios started coming standard with AM/FM. The same was true with 8 tracks, cassettes and finally CDs. Do the new car dealers even offer an option to add CD? Are there external CD players offered to install?

6. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

DING!! Ding! DING!! We have a Winner, Ladies and Gents! Lols.

SandAndGlass and shirtandtie like this.
  7. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

The only thing that irritates me is when people who stream say "CDs should die." Even if you have no use for them yourself, why would you want to deprive people of a format they enjoy - because you don't personally use them? Talk about self centered. Thankfully, I don't think there are many of that type here.

8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

the best is the people who support streaming as being environmentally friendly...

in reality these servers that power streaming services are using way more energy than CD plants... and when u stream forever u are constantly using energy. the carbon footprint for the CD was formed the day it was made, the energy used to play it back is minimal when compared to what is used to stream music.

Thievius likes this.
  9. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’ve heard that CDs were going to be a relic of the past for years and years, but they’re still here. They’re not going anywhere. I’ll continue to buy them, because I’m a CD/vinyl guy. It’s that simple. Screw downloading and streaming services. I guess I’m ‘old school’ but I like holding my purchases in my hands.

10. Thievius

Whenever I hear a corporation touting environmental friendly changes, to me that's usually code for "cost cutting measures." Take the eco-friendly dvd boxes where a portion of plastic is removed supposedly to save the planet. Its not the practice itself that bothers me, its the disingenuousness. I'd be fine with them coming out and saying they're trying to cut costs, but I guess that's not as good PR. But I digress.

ClassicalCD and no.nine like this.
  11. TheGMaster

TheGMaster Forum Resident

I wholeheartedly agree.

dalem5467 and Sear like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

The are not going anywhere! There are so many CD's out there now and record shops are still selling them. Perhaps not "Best Buy" or "Costco" but that is good news for record shops. They don't have to compete against big box stores anymore. CD's still have their place, perhaps not as popular as before, but still enough to keep them around for years.

Sear, ClassicalCD and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  13. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I daresay the demographic represented by this forum is biased toward physical media. The industry's target demographic (basically millennials and younger GenX'ers) is embracing streaming in a big way. Music downloads increased 3000% from 2004-13. Appalling as it may be to us refined folk, the music-listening public is just fine streaming a crappy MP3 on their phone via Spotify as opposed to buying the CD, which means going online anyway.

It isn't just music. Netflix, Amazon and other streaming services have put a major dent in DVD sales. Cord-cutting will continue as younger consumers opt for ala carte over cable. And when is the last time you saw anyone under 30 reading a newspaper?

14. libertycaps

Yeah, the oh so noble non-materialistic virtue signalling is more than a bit tiresome too......i.e.: Great. You enjoy having little to nothing. Congrats. We "get it." Please don't sprain your wrist patting yourself on the back. /kthx

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

True.

But you also get the reverse here on the forum...seen quite a few "streaming should die" comments, in various threads. Wouldn't the same self-restraint also apply?

16. Thievius

It should. Hell, I stream myself on occasion. Its useful for testing the waters, so to speak, before spending money. At any rate, choice is good. I don't want any format to die.

Gaslight likes this.
  17. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

My ex hated my cd collection. First she suggested to digitize it (hd crashed when I arrived at the letter D, later she thought Spotify was a good idea. She's left, the cd collection is still there and growing.

By the way, I do download rare live recordings and other bootleg material. These I burn on cd.

18. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Well, that's the thing, I sort through hundreds to find a couple that I like and want to buy. Thrill of the hunt, I guess, lol.

19. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Same here for me. And that will never ever change.
    God bless the Compact Disc! :targettiphat:

ChazFromCali likes this.
  20. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Just for the heck of it, I called a car audio place and they told me, on my car anyway, that it was a huge pain if I wanted to use an aftermarket stereo.

My sister has a 2017 Escape which has a CD player so they are out there. 5 years from now though- I don't know.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  21. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I love streaming! But I agree, tis far better to have a choice. If I had to choose I'd take Cds and vinyl.

If streaming becomes too ubiquitous it will give far too much power to.....

well I'm not sure who. But I don't wanna pay 50 bucks a month or anything because no other option is feasible.

And I'm still not convinced streaming is here to stay. It just seems like the whole thing could crumble if enough artists, or labels, or isps or whatever happened to unite in anger and begin a boycott/strike type of deal.

I know this isn't exactly likely but the feeling has never escaped the back of my head since I first subscribed to MOG some 7 or eight years ago.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  22. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

CDs make lousy skipping stones. Not enough to mass to get them to spin properly.

23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The physical properties of CDs, along with the mechanics and properties of a CD player, gives the edge to CD's. When it comes to real life sound quality.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Already a thread or twenty on this subject.

25. libertycaps

Gods. Just sell all yr disgusting CDs to the one remaining brick and mortar Music Store in your home town and be done with it.
    You won't regret it later. Promise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.