CDs no longer online for Best Buy

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ironbutterfly, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono Thread Starter

just vinyl.....alas

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Best Buy selling music CDs was like the Italian Bakery selling electric toasters ..
    they were never what most customers went to their stores, mortar and cyber, to buy.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Who woulda thought ...
    Vinyl outlasting CDs ...
    At (Not the) Best Buy, no less!

Mr Bass, Bern and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Vinyl won't outlast CDs, is my guess.
    Both formats will be around a while longer.

5. I've already told them that by not carrying everything I tend to buy, that they are losing me as a customer. I tend to like to one stop shop for variety of items. The only time I go in there now is for the occasional cord now. While CD sales were declining they still were outselling vinyl (all of which were dwarfed by streaming). Evidently, they don't mind losing some customers for online sales (the only time I usually shop at their site anyway since, new video releases aside, they have had lousy stock for years). Pretty soon this will be Best Bye.

6. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

o_O

7. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Maybe they just can't compete with the likes of Amazon ?

eric777 and klockwerk like this.
  8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Oh no! If only there were some other online retailer with which we could choose to shop instead. Oh, curses upon you Best Buy!

9. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

I'm not sweating it. As much music as I have been buying for decades, I have never purchased a cd from them (online or in-store).

Jerryb and klockwerk like this.
  10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Highly disagree. When they came to town to wipe out stores,CDs and stuff priced under $20 were a big draw. Category killer. Sure,with hopes sometime the customer would come in for a high ticket item. And pay that outrageous insurance for the item-another way to print money. People went to Best Buy to spend money on whatever crap was in the circular.

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

CDs no longer online for Best Buy

They were probably just taking up warehouse space. Why bother when they aren’t selling?

12. jon9091

Uh...I bought a bunch of music at Best Buy. They also had a number of exclusive releases /bonus content that I’m sure caught the music buyer’s eye over the years.

13. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

Best Buy also used CDs as "loss leaders" for many years, pricing new releases below the mall chains just to get people in the doors. I can definitely remember buying a few albums on day of release at Best Buy in the 90's.

14. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

CDs are hard to give away now like vinyl was a decade ago. A few wholesale stores had discs for 50 cents each from staple artists and even then most would either go unsold or end up with an older collector buying a bunch.

15. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Stone Age LP shoppers, tell me, how are you listening to your LP music in the car, in the motel, at the beach, or at work?

Instead of making 1 CD purchase for that, are you having to make 2 purchases to hear the same music?

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I do transfers of mine :righton:

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  17. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I have Amazon Music and bring the vast majority of music ever recorded wherever I go. At home, it's vinyl. Everywhere else, I stream.

18. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Most of the vinyl I've bought comes with a digital copy of the album.

19. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I guess it's safe for all the mom and pop record stores to reopen.

20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I'm surprised anyone purchases music at all from Best Buy, vinyl or CD, when there are so many better options available. Me gets the feeling that Best Buy will be ceasing their sales of many items in the future until they're gone.

21. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Yeah, I don't see a very bright future for Best Buy in general. Not because of this CD thing, but because brick and mortar retail seems to be going the way of the dodo. See: Toys R Us, Sears, Kmart, JC Penny, etc.

melstapler and forthlin like this.
  22. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Maybe you weren't a frequent shopper at any music store when a Best Buy opened near them. It wasn't just mom and pop shops they ran out of business either. I worked at Turtles at the time when one opened near us, there was panic. There was a Tower near us that closed thanks to them moving in.

They sold CD's cheaper than I could buy them with my employee discount. All the single discs were 11.99 or lower (this was huge at the time) , while our average price sale price was 12.99 or 13.99. Their sale price was 8.99 or 9.99. They stayed open til midnight for major new releases and actually had a very competitive selection including deep catalog cuts and imports. Not to mention the cd selection covered half of the store.

23. jon9091

We have a family streaming account. Other than that, I already have my old CD collection ripped and stored away.

California Couple likes this.
  24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Amazon is the only way to go:edthumbs::cheers:

melstapler and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

For now:cheers:

klockwerk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.