CDs no longer online for Best Buy

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ironbutterfly, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

My Queens Of The Stone Age albums along with most other bands, came with download codes. Those are then burned to CD for transportation issues. For those that don't I have a second turntable attached to my computer for vinyl rips.

McLover and c-eling like this.
  2. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Not really. ImportCD is a lot cheaper.

Even as a Prime member and saving on shipping I still pay less for CDs there quite often.

The new Aretha Franklin singles collection due out at the end of September is currently $6 less than Amazon, that's not chump change for a 2 CD set.

DiabloG and ClassicalCD like this.
  3. doppelganger

doppelganger Forum Resident

Stick a fork in CDs already :hide:

4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Like vinyl in the 90's when those actually sold less than CDs do now?

DME1061 and klockwerk like this.
  5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

well it is true I live in an area with dozens of indy record stores and several Best Buy locations (population in greater metro is several million) and most stayed in business, not to mention the several new indies that opened up as well.
    So I can imagine it being a very different scenario in less populated areas, those with fewer indies, a different supply-chain model.

Now that you point out Best Buy being the cause of chasing out indy record stores, only to now abandon the merchandise, I find that among several other reasons to steer away from Best Buy, this is the clincher for me.

klockwerk likes this.
  6. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Where? What wholesale store is selling CDs for 50 cents each? I do admit to being an older collector, but I haven't seen this. The local used bookstore get 3 to 8 dollars for CDs usually and the stock keeps changing.

7. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Huh? I bought more CDs from Best Buy than any other retailer between 1997(when they entered Pittsburgh)-late 2000s, by the hundreds.

Same with Movies & Video Games. Not until Prime shipping did I consider going anywhere but Best Buy or a local store.

Best Buy used to have a great selection of CDs at great prices.

8. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

That's what cassettes were for. And yes, I bought a number of titles twice before I bought a cassette recorder. And that's why I rip and make CDRs now.

California Couple likes this.
  9. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

Toys R US didn't go out of business because they couldn't sell anything. Actually they sold a lot of toys. It was going public to private that killed them.

melstapler and Crimson Witch like this.
  10. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I adjusted the context of perspective of that comment in my reply to @Brian Barker, second post above yours. :)

11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Why? Because you don't buy them?

This will have little effect on CD sales and says even less about their validity. Though in decline, the compact disc is still basically a billion dollar industry in the US alone* and is also selling respectful numbers in other parts of the world. Best Buy is irrelevant.

*Just beneath 1 billion in revenue in 2017, and this doesn't include secondary markets.

DME1061 likes this.
  12. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Remember, in the 1990s, Best Buy often sold tons of CDs very cheaply ($10 and under for new releases, when other stores were charging $13-$19 for the same CDs) as "loss leaders" , in order to get people into the stores and then consider that they might need a new washing machine or a refrigerator. So they used CDs to help build up their business- and knock out competitors- and now they're abandoning the format.

I live in NYC, and right now it's a desert if you want to buy music, especially catalog material, outside of a few isolated places

Crimson Witch and klockwerk like this.
  13. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Radio Shack became a glorified phone store just before their demise, and Best Buy is following in their footsteps. I'd be hesitant to buy anything big and expensive from Best Buy.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  14. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

After years of rumors, our local Radio Shack closed. Don't know if there are any others in the area, but when I was a kid me and a friend would have reasons to go to RS, and they were always around, so it seems a little sad.

SecondHandNews likes this.
  15. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Essex stores had them for .50-.60 each for several years. Locally they were just pulled this year due to poor sales. I used to only see the same two collectors over and over looking through them, both guys over 50.

klockwerk likes this.
  16. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Wow .. just checked.. no cd’s!
    Funny thing.. I bought the new Dylan Live cd from them just a couple weeks back!
    Amazon and Bull Moose for me for now on, although my buying days are mostly behind me.

17. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Thanks!! I checked online and found this:
    Bargain Hunt
    www.bargainhunt.com/
    Currently, Bargain Hunt has stores in Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama, Indiana, ... We will continue to expand our store network in 2018 with more new locations to better serve our growing customer base. ... Essex Technology Group
    and this
    Bargain Hunt, formerly Essex Bargain Hunt

Crimson Witch and bamaaudio like this.
  18. Otis1974

Otis1974 Forum Resident

I have had a Best Buy Credit Card for 20 years now and used it many times to purchase $100+ box sets such as The last 3 Bowie sets, the Sgt. Pepper 50th set, the past few Dylan Bootleg sets (with the exception of BS 12).

On most purchases over a certain price they will give you 6-12 or months no interest financing.
    I had 18 months interest free to pay off the Pink Floyd Early Years box set. Plus I earned a lot of reward certificates that I put towards other music purchases.

I was all set to order this years' Bowie set on Best Buy's website and found that it is not available in CD format from them (only vinyl).

I predict this will greatly impact my future purchases of expensive box sets. :shake:

Charles

19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

This. I used to always goto Best Buy when they had exclusive releases that had bonus tracks that weren’t offered on regular versions of albums. Same with Target.

DME1061, melstapler and clhboa like this.
  20. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Hell,they were cheaper than one-stops(wholesalers for stores who couldn't/didn't deal direct). Store owners were coming into BB to buy whatever limits the store allowed for a sale. Even if the mom & pop store didn't actually make a sale,the product could be sent as returns and still make a few cents profit. Meanwhile,manufacturers bought space in circulars and end caps in BB-not unlike the "space for sale" system used in grocery stores. (Hopefully you didn't think those snack end caps happened because the store wanted to show off the best item for you to buy.)Little guys didn't get that deal. odd, BB didn't always take advantage of box lot prices-manufacturers always sold titles cheaper when buying a box. Less than a box added 10 cents or so to the price of a title. Why? BB didn't have to pay schlubs to pick and pack orders-the manufacturers did that dirty work for them. In fact,I don't think BB ever warehoused music and movies. Anyone here know? There used to be an interesting site called bestbuysux and when folks got there to vent, it was divided into employees and customers,but everyone had an axe to grind. It was a very busy site. They were scum back the-what has changed?

21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I may be an outlier, but I like to be able to physically examine the product before I buy.

Also, used to frequent the stores and see what was selling, and what was overstocked, etc...

Sentient Six likes this.
  22. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yep I passed a Bestbuy yesterday that is out of business. It was still there last year but this weekend it's gone.

23. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Like many on the forum I have 1000+ CDs, I don’t ever remember buying one from a Best Buy. Now Tower Records, there is a store that I miss!

melstapler and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  24. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

After they drove countless mom and pop record stores out of business, they are abandoning ship. Perfect example of predatory capitalism. Aside from some computer accessories that I need from time to time, I hardly visit Best Buy stores anymore.

My prediction for CD's are that they will wain for a while and start making a comeback. The resurgence in vinyl has peaked and will start to lose it's appeal for some but not all. In 2015, I purchase 125 vinyl records(both new and used). In 2018, I have purchased (9) vinyl records and am not currently looking for anything on vinyl unless something extraordinary come around. I have purchased 17 CDs in the last two weeks (mostly specific titles and mastering). I may be a small sample of the record buying community, but I am sure there are more like me out there. We will see what happens.

25. In the 90s I went to Best Buy to get CDs. Weird they are only selling vinyl now. I get it though, their whole inventory of CDs could be fit on one of the hard drives they sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.