CDs no longer online for Best Buy

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ironbutterfly, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Indeed. Their selection was awful, little wonder they didn't sell much.

Coincidentally, my last purchase there was David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock, released the same day Keith's Crosseyed Heart was.

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, that certainly proves your point. :D

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And for me, there's a Tascam Flash recorder to the left of the turntable, when there's no download codes.

4. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I don’t remember the last cd I purchased other than box sets or super deluxe editions. That’s not to say they don’t have their place. I’m about 85% vinyl, 12% iPod/mp3, 3% streaming.
    I’ll be glad to see Best Buy go. Lots of bad experiences over the years

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I disagree. There was a time when there were underselling places like Tower Records on release day by quite a bit. And people were buying CDs like crazy.

jjhunsecker and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Gee, if only there was a way to convert LP's to digital. If only, if only.

7. dkmonroe

CD's were a big draw in the 90's when I started shopping Best Buy. When CD's were big, Best Buy was a great place to shop for them.

8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Yes, I realise from yours and many of the other posts that the 'Best Buy experience' was different for a lot of people, compared to my own. As I mentioned earlier, I happen to live inside a metropolitan area home to about 30-or-so independent record stores still thriving even while sharing geographic proximity to not just one but a number of Best Buy locations. The indies may not have beaten BB's low prices on new CD's, but they managed to compete by offering wider ranging selection that BB did not. It simply wasn't worth the extra mileage and time to make a special trip to their store only to save a few dollars on a particular title that could also be found at any one of the indies where there are many more titles of interest.

9. Ziggy Stardog

Ziggy Stardog Forum Resident

Another advantage that independent stores have/had is that they often employ people who actually know something about music other than whether Jethro Tull is under J or T.

10. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

While I’ve never used them exclusively for my music purchases, Best Buy was a nice alternative. They used to have a very good selection at one time......indie releases and metal in particular. And as others have said, they had CD’s with exclusive tracks (the latest Cheap Trick in 2017) and the prices were very good as well. In the past (off the top of my head), I’ve picked up Guided by Voices, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Fleshtones, Sunn O))), Electric Wizard, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club among many others.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

however, when they first appeared best buy had an amazing selection of CD's.

i believe that CD's is what actually brought people into the stores back then.

12. dkmonroe

Very much so. CD's, VHS tapes and computers.

13. audiomixer

"2 Dolla is 2 Dolla"...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This is too bad. And whether you regularly or ever bought CD's from them directly, this isn't good news. Anytime there is less competition out there helping to keep downward pressure on the prices charged where you DO buy from, its a bad thing.

15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

and time is money ! :)
    .. so is petrol, wear and tear on the car, .. btw have you driven on Detroit area roads lately? Not a pretty picture.

16. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

A lot of times amazon set their prices low on boxsets because they were price matching Best Buy. Now I think Walmart and Target's online stores are all that is left before amazon charges whatever they want.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  17. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

What a shame. Guess I'll have to shop Borders from now on.

Joint Attention likes this.
  18. audiomixer

Don't talk to me about driving. I used to live in LA, so I drove all over the place.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Crimson Witch likes this.
  19. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I did the same for the East Hanover, NJ location in 2000. Another perk of being an employee there were the large light box posters they got for display. I still have a couple of those (U2 All That You Can't Leave Behind and Aerosmith Just Push Play). Whitney Houston came into my store and I ended up helping her out to looking for stuff.

The store was actually really good for imports and I remember them having a good amount of SACDs too. I wish I could go back and buy those up.

Based on what I have seen come up on their website the past few weeks, it seems that Target is taking over the "exclusive" catalog market.

I agree with what another poster said; I like being able to touch/see/inspect my stuff before I buy it. I probably have no reason to step into a Best Buy anymore as I'm not in the market for a new TV or major appliance.

steelydanguy and Dark Mavis like this.
  20. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

Haha, yeah, I had the Britney Spears "Oops I Did it Again" lightbox poster on my bedroom wall. It must have been 5' x 5'

21. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Horrible !!!!

22. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

This was my experience as well. I grew up in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, where Best Buy's corporate headquarters are located.

I'm not sure whether that made the Best Buys in the Twin Cities more bountifully stocked with CDs than other locations, but several branches that I used to frequent really did have good CD selections back in the 1990s and into the 2000s. The Best Buys weren't quite as superbly stocked as the very best independent record stores (Electric Fetus, etc.) in the Twin Cities, but their stock was quite strong nonetheless. And the prices were great.

In addition to collecting CDs, I collect TV shows on DVD, and Best Buys used to be great in terms of selection and prices on those as well. I have no idea whether Best Buy carries DVDs in their stores anymore because it's so seldom that I go into one of their branches.

I'm a nitpicky collector who likes to see the condition of what I'm buying before making a purchase whenever possible, and because of that I used to visit Best Buys a lot and give them a lot of my money. That's no longer the case.

23. DIDXDIDP

DIDXDIDP Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.