CDs, Static, Milty Zaperator, Walker Talisman, Anti Static Spray

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hipper, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I've decided to burn the CDs with a full album plus some individual tracks tagged on at the end, I'm doing this as a full album replicates normal listening much better.

To limit objection to my findings you have 1 week to tighten up my methodology, help much appreciated.

2. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Because I magnetized it with a permanent magnet.

Most CDs with dark color labels are susceptible to being magnetized. Just spinning them in a CDP will eventual magnetize them again even after demagnetizing it.

Theory? Yes.
    Are there ferrous properties in dark color inks used on the labels of CDs that could be magnetized? Are there impurities in aluminum that could be ferrous therefore be magnetized?

The last CD that I can recall I bought with a dark label is a copy of John Mayer
    "Paradise Valley". It has a dark blue color label. First thing I notice when I open the case of CD is the color of the label.
    Do I automatically take it for spin in the Bedini before listening to the CD? No.....
    But if it sounds like the music just runs together without any separation, or the bass sound lose, or the highs sound grainy, cymbals are not clean, then spinning the CD, both sides, in the Bedini will usually improve the sound of the CD. Not always though. It can't control how the songs on the CD were recorded and digitally mastered.

Do you by chance have the CD? How does it sound to you when played on your 2 channel audio system?

Quote from Link below:

Now, how on earth might the Furutech somehow reduce contaminating noise? What is there in a CD that might cause contaminating noise, and that might need demagnetizing? And how does a CD get re-magnetized by being played, such that it benefits from further demagnetizing after a few plays?
    The Furutech people have two simple answers. Ink and impurities. The whole surface of a CD is covered with ink, to make up the printed label. These inks contain pigments, some of which are ferrous, hence permeable. The Furutech people also suggest that the aluminum in the reflective layer might well contain impurities, including iron.
    Now, the CD rotates pretty fast (200 to 500 rpm), and any ferrous material will gradually become slightly magnetized over time if it is rapidly moving in a magnetic field (the earth's magnetic field will do, but there are doubtless other magnetic fields as well within a CD player). All right, so we have a CD with some slightly magnetized pieces of ink, spinning around inside your CD player. How does that cause contaminating noise in your music?
    Let's assume that the brown pigment in brown ink is ferrous, and let's assume that some small lettering on the CD label is printed in brown ink. Let's assume that there are about 50 letters in the small lettering, which means that there are about 100 vertical ferrous bar magnets (for example, the letter H has two vertical bars), rotating around with the CD. These rotating bar magnets are putting an electromagnetic noise field into the space and air inside your CD player. If the CD is rotating at 8 Hz (480 rpm), and there are 100 discrete bar magnets going around at 8 Hz, then they are putting out noise with a fundamental at 800 Hz, together with all kinds of overtones spread upward throughout the rest of the musical spectrum (if we were to assume the bar magnets were purely rectangular and put out noise that looks like a square wave, there would be overtones at 2400 Hz, 4000 Hz, 5600 Hz, etc.).
    You can see that this contaminating noise thrown into the air is rich in high frequency spectral content, so it would be most destructive of music's higher frequencies and of singular, non-repeating musical transients, if it were to somehow interfere with the music signal inside your CD player. And, if a CD treatment like the Furutech could reduce this high frequency contaminating noise, then we would expect to hear the sonic improvements being most dramatic for music's trebles and for its singular transients - which is exactly what we do hear.

Given that this noisy electromagnetic field is radiating into the space and air inside your CD player, how could it come to actually contaminate your music? After all, your music signal is safely traveling inside the conducting wires of the CD player's circuitry, isn't it? So who cares if there's spurious electromagnetic noise in the air outside these wires, right?

Well, it turns out that electromagnetic fields in the space and air just outside your CD player's wiring can also penetrate into that wiring, so if that field comprises contaminating noise, then that noise can add to or interfere with the signals in your CD player's wiring. The analog circuitry in your CD player is certainly vulnerable to signal degradation by interference from noise, but so also is all the digital circuitry in your CD player. Why? First, that so-called digital circuitry is actually analog circuitry, operating with precise thresholds and precise currents, whose level and/or precise timing can be contaminated, degraded, or made less determinate by noise. Second, it is now widely recognized that merely adding noise to a digital signal in your CD player can worsen jitter (by making thresholds more temporally indeterminate), which in turn worsens distortion of your music when that timing indeterminacy reaches your DAC chip. If the interfering noise has high frequency content, then this can cause high frequency jitter, which is especially destructive of music's higher frequencies, causing smearing kinds of distortion (from FM distortion sidebands spread over a wide and high frequency range).

Furthermore, it turns out that the desired signals running around in the wiring of your CD player are not really traveling inside the wires, but instead are actually traveling as electromagnetic fields in the space and air outside those wires - in the very same space and air also occupied by the noisy electromagnetic field from those spinning magnets on the CD. Since the desired CD player signals, representing your music, and the noise from the spinning CD magnets are both mixing it up in the same space and air, naturally there is cross contamination.

Page Title »

3. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Lies.

Gumboo likes this.
  4. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

How about just this part of the quote material?

Lies too?

Furthermore, it turns out that the desired signals running around in the wiring of your CD player are not really traveling inside the wires, but instead are actually traveling as electromagnetic fields in the space and air outside those wires -

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Can't you see that's simply marketing verbiage?

"Desired signals"
    "Running around"

What?

Gumboo likes this.
  6. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

How about this explanation:

"For utility power the energy travels in the space between the conductors not in the conductors. In digital circuits the signals and energy travel in the spaces between the traces or between the traces and the conducting surfaces. Buildings have halls and walls. People move in the halls not the walls. Circuits have traces and spaces, signals and energy moves in the spaces not the traces."

//

marketing verbiage as well?

7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Surely there is a relationship between amount of "effect ", and the miniscule amount of magnetism generated?
    Id file this one away with Green pens and the amour all.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Yes, I would say so. Look, if there were clearly positive results from using the Furutech RD-1 CD Demagnetizer I'm sure the company would be providing clearer evidence.

Gumboo likes this.
  9. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

So you are saying more lies.

//
    "For utility power the energy travels in the space between the conductors not in the conductors. In digital circuits the signals and energy travel in the spaces between the traces or between the traces and the conducting surfaces. Buildings have halls and walls. People move in the halls not the walls. Circuits have traces and spaces, signals and energy moves in the spaces not the traces."
    //

Let's say the above is true. That the signals, be it digital or analog, is energy that travels on the outside of the conductor, not inside the conductor, that travels in the form of an electromagnetic wave from the source to the load. Could we assume the signal voltage is small and therefore the magnetic field outside the conductor small? Now what IF a spinning dynamo, the CD disc that is slightly magnetized, creates a small electromagnetic field around it. Then would you agree the possibility the electromagnetic field, created by the spinning dynamo, could have an impact on the energy of the signals magnetic fields?

10. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's not really a satisfactory answer. I was wondering if you could somehow measure its magnetism. After all I can stroke a magnet over anything but that doesn't prove it holds the magnetism.

I don't have the CD you mentioned but I'll check to see if I've got any dark labelled CDs and see what I can do with them.

11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

The green pens that stopped two of my discs skipping?.

12. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Sorry.

Yes. Furutech did. But I doubt you would believe any test done by them.
    Here is a review of 6Moons. But again, who believes reviewers?
    6moons.com - audio reviews: Furutech RD-1 »

True. But what is the object? Does it have ferrous impurities or ferrous properties in it?
    Did you do any research to disprove aluminum can have ferrous impurities in it?
    Did you do any research to disprove dark inks like black, red, blue, green, ect, do not have ferrous materials in them?

13. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Whilst I'm very much in the subjective camp, Ive found that with many journalists, there is tendency to overstate the effects of many tweeks. The maxim is be open minded and see for yourself what improvements it may make in your system.

14. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

6 Moon reviews are pay to play from what I understand. Hard to read murky prose from reviewers who wouldn't know a piece of test gear if they fell over it.

Robert C and Gumboo like this.
  15. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

One way to tell if something is magnetized is to use a measuring device such as a fluxometer that is designed specifically for the purpose. Another way is to use a permanent magnet, poles clearly marked, to try to either attract or repel an object suspected of being magnetized. If you haven't used such devices, then you're just guessing and coming up with the wrong conclusion. There is no scientific controversy about whether or not a piece of CD plastic can be magnetized. It can't.

No you can't. A piece of CD plastic is not capable of holding a magnetic charge, nor can it be made paramagnetic (temporarily carrying a magnetic field but losing the field when the when the stimulus is removed). A magnetic field from an adjacent object can pass through a CD, and people have occasionally been fooled thereby. As a matter of fact, that last bit is a very old magician's stage trick and sleight-of-hand/close-up magic trick. But it's not real.

16. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Well that about sums it up. Filed with green pens , under "b", for "bunk".

17. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Are white papers written with green ink, or will any color do?

18. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

I agree. The plastic disc of a CD does not contain any ferrous materials. Therefore ' it ' Can Not be magnetized.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  19. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident Thread Starter

So one way to see if a CD is magnetized is to use a thin piece of magnetic material and hold it near the CD - it should bend towards it or be repelled away from it. Something like the electroscope I linked to in the OP but with magnetic material.

20. harby

harby Forum Resident

Well that's not the hard test if that's your methodology. Put the CD on a non-magnetic precision scale. Put the scale in an MRI machine, the kind that will rip the implants right out of your body. Weigh the CD, flip and rotate the CD and weigh the CD.
    Or the practical test, in an electromagnetic lab, use a high-precision and high-sensitivity magnetometer such as one employing SQUID arrays to measure the (lack of) magnetic field.

Why not first figure out if any effects can be noted in your CD player from the worst case x1000 - glue iron foil to the CD or paint it with magnetite or other iron oxide. Magnetize to saturation. Play. Gather C1 or C2 error statistic ripping data, or analyze signals for artifacts related to the rotational speed in your CD audio chassis.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  21. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

No, I doubt that would work. The amount ferrous properties in the label ink are quite small. Therefore the magnetism would be small.

You would need a really strong permanent magnet to see if the CD label was attracted to the magnet. I guess for your test to work the magnet found at a metal scrap yard to pick steel would work. The CD should stick to the magnet. That would make a great field trip for you to go on.

Also remember in a CDP the disc is spinning about 500 to 200 rpm. A spinning dynamo.

22. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

Doesn't have to be placed on the inside of the MRI magnet to see if the CD label would be attracted to the magnet. The outside of the magnet would be all that is needed. At least a High Strength MRI Machine.

23. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

No. CD's aren't magnetizable. And why would something magnetic used in your proposed test need to be thin? How would you then tell the difference between magnetic field attraction or replusion and attraction or repulstion caused by a negative or positive static charge. Don't confuse static charge with magnetism - they're very different.

24. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Yes, outright lies. It's made-up fantasy that violates the laws of physics. Even high school physics students and high school Electrical Shop students know better. Have you ever even bothered to look up the freely available explanations on one of the authoritative physics and science sites about how electricity works? Instead, you're quoting marketing lies as science? They're fooling you. The Furutech Demaga is absolute silliness when applied to CDs.

That one of the consumer watchdogs hasn't yet gotten around to targeting the audio industry is strictly, IMO, because the watchdogs have bigger fish to fry - i.e., products that endanger health and environments and children. But they'll get around to the audio biz soon enough and then many of the makers of CD demagnetizers and absurdly touted cables will end up being fined and worse.

Audio product makers can design and manufacture whatever they want, but they can't make extraordinary claims for their products without also presenting extraordinary proof. They never, ever present such proof. And they certainly can't boast lies about the products, but some of them do anyway. Ipse dixit claims by such makers (i.e., we say the product does amazing things and because we say so it's true) are NOT proof, nor can any maker's insistence that electrical activity that violates the fundamental laws of physics be true.

Robert C likes this.
  25. jea48

jea48 Forum Resident

How about this explanation:

Outright lies too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.