CDs that Have No Equal (Recommendations please)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JMAC, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi folks. I’ve recently purchased a CD player, after not having one in my system for maybe 10 years. A new world is open to me!

What is one redbook CD that you think I should own? It must fit these two criteria:
    1. Contains music that you personally find stunning.
    2. The best mastering for this album is only available on this specific CD pressing. (The album may be released on another format, but the CD mastering must be the best version.)

Bonus points if you tell me why you think the music is stunning. Big bonus points if the album isn’t available on streaming services.

Doesn’t have to be rare, doesn’t have to be expensive, doesn’t have to be a certain genre.

What do you think I should put in my collection?

2. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

John Coltrane - Complete Village Vanguard Sessions

3. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imaginatiln MFSL Gold Disc

Alan Parsons, three years off producing Dark Side of the Moon, teams up with Eric Woolfson to create an album based upon some of Edgar Allen Poe’s work.

This version contains the original mix which is impossible to find on any other CD besides the Expanded version, which was mastered horribly. The album was remixed in 1987 and has practically replaced the original mix. The 1987 has commentary from Orson Welles and remixed to sound more... 80’s. Not a good thing at all.

This is the best sounding disc I’ve ever heard.

Also original mix not on Spotify.

4. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy - Japan 32XD - Diament master5

SOONERFAN and rockclassics like this.
  5. JMAC

Super write-up, thanks. Never would have checked out an Alan Parsons Project album otherwise.

And you're right: 80s Orson Welles--while frightening in his own right--doesn't belong here.

Octavian likes this.
  6. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

A lot of 90s hip hop was crammed onto one LP and thus the cd would be favorable. An example would probably be the first pressing of Dr. Dre - The Chronic mastered on cd by Bernie Grundman.

7. omnisonic

omnisonic Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Ive heard about every vinyl and digital incarnation ot The Doors S/T.
    The DCC mastered by our host is a sonic miracle.
    The most clear and satisfying way to experience this album. What ever it costs, don't worry, it's worth every penny.

dav-here, crispi, Dave and 6 others like this.
  8. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Van Halen: Van Halen (DCC)

dav-here, audiomixer and SOONERFAN like this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why would you have never checked out an Alan Paraons album?

10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I can think of tons and tons of music like this: stunning music released in the CD era that's never been remastered so the original master is the only one available -- all those JMT and Winter & Winter Paul Motian/Joe Lovano/ Bill Frisell live albums, especially Sound of Love; Randy Weston's Spirits of Our Ancestors; Fred Hersch's Sunday at the Vanguard and the trio albums recorded live there; Joe Lovano's All for You (just to mention some of the best sounding recordings); Roscoe Mitchell's Bells for the South Side

But if you're not a jazz fan, I don't think you'd care about putting them in your collection.

11. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The Japan 24bit remastering of Rick Wakeman's "Journey To The Center Of The Earth".

I don't have that CD because it's a bit expensive and is on my Amazon wish list, but "Recollections: The Very Best Of Rick Wakeman 1973-1979" has shortened chapters of the 24 bit remastered version. It's much better in that there is more separation and clarity of the instruments considering the cavernous reverbed theater where it was recorded. The vinyl back when it was first released sounded horrible played on my parent's stereo turntable console.

12. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

[​IMG]

DCC Gold CD of Eagles - Hotel California

audiomixer, George P and SOONERFAN like this.
  13. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

sara K. - "Made in the Shade". 2009 Stockfisch Records. Hybrid SACD, DSD, SACD Surround Sound.
    sara plays her 4 string guitar w/ a bunch of excellent musicians, Ian Melrose acoustic and electric guitars, Johanna Single concert harp, Lutz Moller piano, Christisn Willisohn piano, Martin Grolskorth Hammond organ,Christian Struck English horn, Hans-Jorg Maucksch fretless bass, Christian Archontidis cymbals, Beo Brockhausen (a whole bunch of different instruments).

Tingman likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Of course this thread is going to be subjective to one's tastes-
    Warm, dynamic and excellent soundstage
    Abba-Super Trouper US SRC-01 Atlantic
    [​IMG]

15. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Sade - Diamond Life (Japan for EU; 1984 first pressing with DIDP-10135 matrix)

The music is stunning because the whole album is an exercise in amazing lightness, truly a triumph of style, style, style with a miraculously gifted singer and a fantastic band supporting her.

This CD edition sounds amazing, a clear winner over the dreadful remaster - powerful, dynamic and very, very ear-pleasing.

Sade - Diamond Life

16. c-eling

ELO-Eldorado, stock US DADC or JVC (Gastwirt). Preferred over the DCC and 2001 remaster.
    [​IMG]

rodentdog and JMAC like this.
  17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Les Paul and Mary Ford - Best of the Capitol Masters (on a budget) or The Legend and The Legacy boxed set (if you are lucky to come across it, buy it.)

18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

All her CD's are excellent and well-mastered, but this album was produced by Walter Becker and the Audio Fidelity gold disc mastered by Kevin Gray. Will bring out the best in your audio system.

[​IMG]

DR19 -0.00 dB -22.97 dB 01 The Horses.aiff
    DR13 -6.21 dB -22.48 dB 02 Just My Baby.aiff
    DR22 -0.00 dB -24.71 dB 03 Ghetto Of My Mind.aiff
    DR15 -3.67 dB -22.62 dB 04 Rodeo Girl.aiff
    DR17 -1.54 dB -21.79 dB 05 Satellites.aiff
    DR18 -4.62 dB -29.18 dB 06 Ghost Train.aiff
    DR15 -3.18 dB -20.88 dB 07 Flying Cowboys.aiff
    DR14 -5.71 dB -23.01 dB 08 Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying.aiff
    DR19 -0.78 dB -22.06 dB 09 Love Is Gonna Bring Us Back Alive.aiff
    DR16 -3.52 dB -25.92 dB 10 Away From The Sky.aiff
    DR14 -1.40 dB -20.97 dB 11 Atlas' Marker.aiff
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Number of files: 11
    Official DR value: DR17

bruce2, JMAC and davmar77 like this.
  19. Daniel Leone

Daniel Leone Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - The Endless River.
    Tastes are subjective, but I find this album excellent musically speaking, and the sound quality is beyond awesome (even for a modern release).
    That's the CD with best sound quality I own.

dav-here, Vinny123 and JMAC like this.
  20. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I'm not familiar with the DVD audio version but if I could only remember my name by david Crosby is a great release with an all star cast.

21. c-eling

The Replacements
    Hootenanny (US Discovery Systems) TT
    Let It Be (US Nimbus) TT
    Both natural sounding and dynamic
    [​IMG]

A. Scrounger likes this.
  22. JMAC

I’ve dipped my toes into prog before and it never got my pulse racing. But I’m always open to giving things another shot.

23. JMAC

Hey, that’s more than one! (Thanks)

24. JMAC

My wife and I think ELO is fantastic and I love coming across high-performing regular pressings. Thanks.

c-eling likes this.
  25. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Totally agree on both the cd and the Blu-ray.

dav-here likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.