CD's that have the bonus tracks in the middle of the album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jose Jones, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member Thread Starter

I've been on a bit of an XTC kick lately, and while playing some of the old Geffen/Virgin cds, I noticed that they included non-album bonus tracks in the middle of the running order instead of the usual arrangement at the end. Almost as if they were an "interlude" between album sides.

Anybody have a theory why they did it that way? Were any other cd reissues done with the bonus tracks like that? I know some of the 80s Blue Note cds would put the alternate take right after the released one (which I did not like at all).

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"All Things Must Pass" (2001 remaster) - George Harrison

Mr Hankey and longdist01 like this.
  3. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

good post, XTC was the first band that came to mind, Fleetwood Mac's Rumors inserts Silver Springs mid album

and the first 3 Elvis Costello remasters combine UK and US editions

Fullbug likes this.
  4. RevolutionDoctor

RevolutionDoctor Forum Resident

The japanese edition of Duran Duran's Medazzaland contains the bonus track called Ball And Chain. While not in the middle, the track is inserted in the running order, just before the closing track "Undergoing treatment".
    I guess this was done to keep Undergoing Treatment the closing track, which it really is (hence the sound of a closing door at the end of the song)

5. Can anybody think of a CD reissue where the bonus tracks are at the very beginning?

There's one reissue I'm thinking of in particular -- by a very well known artist. By my count, almost 18 minutes of newly released material across several tracks, all of them at the very beginning of the release, before any of the orginal album.

Who can come up with it first?? :cool:

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The Fleetwood Mac 2-CD Rumours puts "Silver Springs" in the middle of the side 1/side 2 break.

The 2002 Stones More Hot Rocks inserts the bonus tracks amidst the other side 4 songs.

supermd and ralph7109 like this.
  7. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

'When The Tigers Broke Free' on PF's The Final Cut reissue.

8. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

"Youthquake" (Dead Or Alive).

The current CD release has the Performance Mix of "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" between "Big Daddy Of The Rhythm" - originally the last song of the A side - and "Cake And Eat It", which opened the B side.

It frequently happens in Italy when an artist releases a new album in October and then goes to the Sanremo Festival in February the year after. Since they have to sing a brand new song for the occasion, there comes the "new edition" or "special edition" of the album with the "new hit" as the first track.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Also, the late 90's reissue of Elvis Presley's 1st RCA album placed the surrounding singles both before and after the album proper. Very annoying. Fortnuately the Kevan Budd remaster from 2005 (and the 2-CD FTD) has the album first with the singles after.

Same with the late 90's Elvis Is Back reissue - it starts of with Stuck On You/Fame and Fortune, and then goes into the album, and then finishes up with the other 4 single songs. The 2-CD FTD has the surrounding singles placed after the album, as they should be.

clhboa likes this.
  10. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

The upcoming Matador reissue of Mission of Burma's Signals, Calls and Marches EP looks to have the Academy Fight Song/Max Ernst single before the EP, rather than after it. I'm so used to the original Ryko compilation, which had "Academy Fight Song" first, that I'm really happy about this. It always seemed weird to me to start with "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" (as the late 90's Ryko edition of the EP proper does), even though that's the first song on the EP.

Geoff

11. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

The US remaster of Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die has a track inserted in the middle, because it was originally supposed to be at the end of Side 1 of the LP.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Pumpkins Zeitgeist deluxe version mixes up the new songs.

The VU boxset mixes the bonus cuts before and after the albums.

stef1205 and Fullbug like this.
  13. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Here's another faintly obscure one. If memory serves, the late 80's/early 90's Midnight Records CD reissue of McCarthy's first album I Am A Wallet had bonus tracks from a contemporaneous EP put between the two album sides.

Geoff

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The original Japanese and European version of Amy Grant's "House of Love" CD has "Politics of Kissing" as Track 9.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Early Castle CDs editions of The Fall's 'Grotesque (After The Gramme)' and 'Perverted By Language' added singles as bonus tracks before the LP tracks, presumably because the singles were released prior to the albums.

The Mothers' 'Absolutely Free' adds the 'Big Leg Emma' single between the two LP sides.

ajsmith, Frittenköter and Platterpus like this.
  16. Gotta run to work soon, and won't have on-line access for most of the day. Here's the release I was thinking of...

The 20th Anniversary reissue of Pat Metheny's (and Ornette Coleman's) SONG X. A total of 6 bonus tracks (all previously unreleased tunes, none of them alternates of the regular album), right smack dab at the very beginning.

BlueTrane likes this.
  17. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

The Records (of Starry Eyes Fame) have a b-side now opening the remaster of Music on Both Sides the song in question 'Your Own Soundtrack'

18. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

The nineties Rhino reissue of Robyn Hitchcock's "I Often Dream of Trains" has five tracks from the "Bells of Rhymney" EP in what would have been the side break on the original LP.

Last year's reissue on Yep Roc opted to add them at the end (and dropped one of them, "Mellow Together").

DeeThomaz likes this.
  19. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Don't know if this qualifies, but The Eagles' Hell Freezes Over starts with some new material before the live tracks.

(I always skip those)

20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The Hooters' CD for Nervous Night featured the title track as a bonus track in the middle of the album, even though it had not appeared on the vinyl version. (It was a b-side, however.)

21. buckets

buckets Forum Resident

On Deee-Lite's CD "World Clique", the first song (Deee-Lite Theme) is listed as a bonus track.

22. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I know this isn't who you're referring to, but Cheap Trick had a hidden track at the beginning of thier '97 self titled release...

23. GeddyLeeFan

GeddyLeeFan Active Member

The 1998 Velvel re-issue of the Kinks' 'Preservation Act 1' added bonus tracks at both the very beginning as well as at the end of the disc.

The See For Miles CD re-issue of Second Hand's brilliant 'Death May Be Your Santa Claus' added bonus tracks in the middle of the original album.

24. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

RINGO (European EMI CD) has Down and Out somewhere in the middle..
    I think the Capitol is different?

I'm glad I have the DCC as well :)

Martin

25. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Lou Reed - Rock 'n' Roll Animal+

ramdom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.