Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Or look after them in the first place. None of my CDs are scratched. It’s not hard to keep them nice.

VQR, Paul J, dr jazz and 22 others like this.
  2. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

CDs cost more than they ever did. Every CD I buy is £10-30 with boxsets north of that. Every album is spewing a deluxe version and none of these are cheap. My wallet has not noticed that CDs are cheap, or obsolete.

DaveJ, Boswell, ispace and 4 others like this.
  3. Not in our lifetime . . . Tens of millions of CD players currently in existence world wide will be around for a long, long time.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I always made high quality cassette copies of my new vinyl as I could not stand vinyl...this was before the advent of the CD...

5. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Because people are dumb enough to pay 30 $ or more money on a single LP these days.
    Or they pay for music on iTunes and have nothing in their hands and crappy quality.

6. Michael

none of mine as well...although one time I dropped a CD and it wound up under my foot...I didn't know it and it got scratched to hell! BUT it still ripped and played...it was an Alice In Chains debut CD...

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

That is exactly what I do. Purchase, Rip and file the disc away. It is very rare that I actually play a CD.

Trbnado, Randoms, MartinR and 5 others like this.
  8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Exactly...they will eventually die out like most things but the whole Chicken Little attitude is hilarious...CDs and players may become more and more expensive as they become more of a niche item but they aren’t going to disappear in a year or two.

lance b, YpsiGypsy, xybert and 2 others like this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

No problem with that. I used cassettes quite a lot back then as well.

Michael likes this.
  10. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

When one can find players only at the thrift stores and flea markets and can only hope they still work. I think it will be a long time from now.

11. Bobby Morrow

We were very lucky to grow up with so much choice and different formats to pick from. Most of us over 50 have probably collected at least 3 of them.

As for cassettes, they were never my favourite. People new to them must love the sense of danger as they play a tape wondering if it will make it to the end of side one without chewing up. And the fast-forward/rewind thing must drive them mad.:)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Galley, OptimisticGoat, VVK and 6 others like this.
  12. Michael

there was some excellent blanks out the back in the 80's...and of course nothing less than a 3 head deck will do...

13. Bobby Morrow

They’re hardy little buggers.:)

telepicker97 and Michael like this.
  14. Michael

most of them if not all still do...and can be bought these days for a song...

BrentB likes this.
  15. Michael

yes indeed...I love those shiny buggers!

JDeanB and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. Thursday. Come next Thursday CDs will become obsolete.

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm not against cassettes generally btw. I forgot to write the word 'revival' in my earlier post.
    It's just weird that the medium will be used again today while we have much more compact and better sounding formats, like digital audio (HD) and stuff.

18. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I worry that most any physical music medium is viewed as the cassette is (by and large). Oddly, if it's something you can actually see, hold, play, or collect, then there's apparently no point to it! :)

At least for some. Which is fine of course, but it's still a concept I struggle with based on how I've always enjoyed purchasing music.

I do have music on digital or portable means but it's always for ease in enjoying an "unlimited playlist" or something to that effect. But I never feel an attachment to music being delivered digitally the way I do actually being able to own it, collect it, or appreciate it as something real and tangible.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There's a lot more choice today than there was back then.

At most, I had three formats to choose from (LP / cassette / CD) between 1985 and around 1988. Go to Amazon today and many new releases have those same three...and lossy downloads and possibly even a lossless / high res offering as well.

And, of course, the streaming option.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

They are obsolete. Everyone should sell theirs. Especially if you have older, rare CDs and live in Kansas City.

Trbnado, Solitaire1, lance b and 23 others like this.
  21. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Yup.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  22. Michael

LOL...good one...right after the vinyl/cassette resurgence...

23. Bobby Morrow

Miranda said it best.

hbbfam, Mal, Myke and 2 others like this.
  24. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I used to live in Independence, and now I'm in the Columbia area, so at least you have less competition :evil:

RSteven, luckybaer and ermylaw like this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

Oh I don’t count downloads.

:)

DaveJ, ClassicalCD and JDeanB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.