Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Let's not. No better than the previous groundless generalizations.

2. Carl Swanson

Shouldn't be in the same category. I own my HDs, and control them. The cloud? Not at all.

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The point being... anyone that thinks that the business machine cares what anyone as an individual wants access to, with no financial benefit to the machine, is in la la land ... sorry if my broad stroke picture offended you.

Takehaniyasubiko and no.nine like this.
  4. Carl Swanson

Yes, because I fundamentally agree with the explanation you just posted.

I was not personally offended because I was never a hippy, and the vast majority of so-called "counterculture" types of the 1960s-1970s were not hippies. Hippies were non-materialistic, many anti-materialistic, and I know people who were then and are still actual hippies.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

That is exactly my view of the reality of this space. I see a future with very expensive LPs and (possibly CDs and related technology for each) in a very expensive niche market and a separate market for mass streaming where the copyright owners are price gouging in both markets. I don't see streaming having an attraction for "collectors" but there are relatively few of them in any event. I buy CDs and LPs because I want to stay in that market.

6. OptimisticGoat

Agreed but why will it (the instant access to lossless files to all the music that has ever been released) be cheap? If that is so, the copyright owners will make no money. It seems a bit utopian to me.

Edit. I have now read your responses re copyright expiration. Despite the extensions being granted, copyright remains a moveable feast. The philosophies underpinning copyright law are as subject to change as any other aspect of life. What about non-legacy music? Is it only the really old stuff that will be free (and therefore unvalued)?

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You assume the music industry has the ability to actually make that happen. Take too tight a grip and people with either pirate what they can't own, or artists will break away from them even further. Plus there's always the analog hole.

Your comments on copyright extension are very valid though. Current PD is stuck in limbo, at least in the US.

8. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

I get it, but, forgive my ignorance: something like DropBox/Google Drive are pretty much free? Decent control? I grouped them together because my thoughts were that for both, one single 'event' can mean that you have no access whatsoever to any of your collection.

9. Carl Swanson

The
    They're on the net. They're vulnerable. They're only as good as the word of their makers, which is not especially reliable.

10. Carl Swanson

They're on the internet. They're vulnerable. They're only as good as the word of their makers, which is not especially reliable in terms of security.

11. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

I can go with that. I just wonder how long a Hard Drive lasts for, they always fail at some point don't they?

DME1061 and mark winstanley like this.
  12. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

This is a phenomenon I've been observing with great interest over the past few years. Here in Australia, I think I could safely suggest that the bell's already tolled and the phase-out across labels and retailers has begun - albeit slowly.

I recall a conversation from 2010 I had with a fellow musician who ran his own boutique label and he was suggesting - from an insiders perspective - that CDs would be gone by 2015. Now obviously that didn't happen, but the impact of Spotify taking a strangelehold of the market here certainly began to change things. Now it's reached a point (about three years later) where it's becoming increasingly difficult to get hold of certain CDs. Outside of the major retailer in AU (JB Hifi) there's only independent music stores to rely on, and it would be fair to suggest that most of their primary revenue stream is now coming via the popularity of new and re-issued vinyl.

Along with the influence of streaming on listening habits, the role of other technologies needs to be taken into consideration as well; and this is also felt through the gradual disappearance of CD players in computers, cars and entertainment systems. It's inevitable that once manufacturers of a given product remove a particular component or device, it won't be used as much by the user (if at all), and will ultimately be supplemented by something else. *The recent removal of the option to rip CDs from iTunes on recent OS versions (via Macbooks pre-2015) I found particularly frustrating and a bit nefarious. And in this respect, the convenience factor is key: if something is easier to use and maintain, then the majority are going to adopt it and incorporate it into their daily habits. Hard drives on computers are shrinking dramatically as well and the power of the CPU is now the main selling point. Then there's the subscription factor, whereby increasingly we're owning less material products (music, books, news, app services, TV, films, etc) and honestly, I think that's rapidly becoming the norm from hereon. The days of owning things outright are numbered.

So where does that leave us folks who preference audiophile quality? Thankfully music platforms like Bandcamp are still going strong and provide an excellent alternative to the lo-fi monopoly held by Spotify and similar streaming services. Elsewhere, independent labels like Drag City are offering hi-Q downloads, but personally I don't know how long this might last since they're watching non-vinyl sales revenue drop away dramatically on a monthly basis. Of course, some of us who are savvy enough will find ways to circumvent the norm, but I see that becoming more and more difficult and time goes by.

The future's going to be an interesting place, if we're not there already. :)

13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

This is just too vague! What time exactly?

bluesky likes this.
  14. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you confusing the lack of a CD drive built in with the inability to plug one in and let her rip?

15. OptimisticGoat

If this is so, then the same will happen for every form of media surely? No one will make a profit (because no one will be paying virtually anything for anything) and yet the media will be consumed indefinitely by anyone who cares to access it ? Why would that happen in an increasingly capitalist world? There is demand, therefore there is a profit to be made. Re-legislate. Tax it. If it were to happen in that way, it goes without saying that there will be no funding for new media. Consider the subscription TV models by way of comparison. Why not the same two tiered system in music? Oh, maybe you could stream with advertising between tracks? That may cover it. :righton: It is not a future I want to subscribe to.

P.S. The current generation are often not paying for the music that they consume due to piracy etc. If they can be brought within the streaming umbrella and held there then the cost of consumption in that area will increase.

16. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Not a problem if you have the CD's for a backup.

17. Sprocket Henry

Oh yeah, sorry - that's not terribly clear. So, in my case I have a MacBook c. 2013 with a CD/DVD drive installed. Upon recently upgrading the OS (w/ iTunes) I found that the option to burn CDs had disappeared completely.

18. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

I have High Sierra and I'm definitely able to burn CDs, could it just be maybe an interface change in iTunes? They've almost fully ruined it.

Sprocket Henry likes this.
  19. Sprocket Henry

Hmm..you've convinced me to drill a bit deeper into the interface. You are right about the ruining bit - it's been a progressive work in progress.

20. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

Can't you run Windows on your Apple through bootcamp or emulation and use any number of softwares (foobar2000, imgburn etc.) to burn discs. Also doesn't Apple have Toaster burning software.

21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

LPs disappeared in the early '90s (or somewhat earlier) and CDs are now allegedly on the way out (or have been for some time). I wonder why I've bought nearly 500 CDs in the past three years as well as a few hundred LPs. Because there's a market. The market fluctuates; tastes change and they also cycle back upon themselves. Absolute words such as "obsolete" really make no sense at this point in time. They may make more sense in 30-50 years, and possibly in 10 years, but likely not while I'm still ticking.

Godbluff and Takehaniyasubiko like this.
  22. Carl Swanson

I add a new one every couple/few years and migrate files. Got on getting ill on me now, but the stuff is already copied. Plus, storage is cheap these days.

23. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

I think we're getting too hung up on the differences between formats which come and go. The big difference is between owning and renting music.

LPs, CDs, DVDs, downloads all have one thing in common - we have a degree of control over the music we buy. I have said before a CD is just a download in a box.

I don't mind too much if CDs disappear as long as we have the option to buy downloads at a reasonable price instead. However, here is a sea change happening with the move to streaming that may ultimately see the demise of the whole buying model.

I fear that the music business looks forward the day when they'll be able charge us every time we listen to an album or even a single track. As some people have said in this thread, this is a realistic possibility.

Once they've got that level of control, they'll be in a position to raise prices through the roof and make us pay through the nose.

Calling All Stations likes this.
  24. Carl Swanson

This will never happen to me.

. . . nor to anyone else who declines to participate.

25. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Nor I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.