Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDs will be no more obsolete than records were during the CD era, too much stuff available that is not available otherwise ( across all genres and eras). Reissues and compilations have stuff that was never released. If you love music, and your hunger and knowledge go deep, CDs are in your future.

2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Welllll...maybe a small stretch of the truth. Its been going for about 100 on discogs lately but maybe recent sellers are inflating their prices, I don't know. Its certainly a well regarded disc at any rate.

Buy Genesis - Foxtrot (CD) at Discogs Marketplace

3. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

CDs are obsolete when you don't have a CD player.

danielbravo likes this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

My wife and I just bought a higher end SUV with all the bells and whistles.............and it has a cd player.

5. Thievius

Make CD-r copies. Don't trust any car stereo.

Dave, anorak2, Dynamic Ranger and 5 others like this.
  6. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

You could say the same thing about books (container) and words (format). In my opinion, the container will always add to the experience.

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I really don't listen to cd's in the car. Cases get scuffed, and cd's can get scratched. Satellite radio has many options.

danielbravo likes this.
  8. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

How about respecting your investment and treating them carefully? Huh? It saves money.

Dave, danielbravo, dalem5467 and 2 others like this.
  9. Thievius

Seriously. I have CDs over 30 years old that sound as good as the day I bought them. That's one of the reasons I like them so much.

10. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Ketchup is good. I guess mustard and relish are obsolete.

11. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I went to my local Sunrise store this morning (remember - they're the guys who bought up half the HMV stores here in Canada). They have a ton of cd's and an increasingly impressive, if a bit pricey, vinyl stock. In the end I got two 2018 CD's, the new Elton John 'Re-Vamp' album, and the 'Wrinkle in Time' soundtrack album, for the new Sade song. Neither is available on vinyl. Then I bought a vinyl album, one of the recent McCartney reissues. I like choice. Long may it last!

ispace, Humanoid_Z and Thievius like this.
  12. CD's won't become obsolete until they quit making CD players and then quit making CD's.

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

EXCELLENT POINT!

Folknik likes this.
  14. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

CDs will become obsolete when the shrink wrap becomes even harder to open and removing the stickers damages the jewel cases even more than they already do.

15. Michael

that ain't happening and if it does we have other options...

Dynamic Ranger and Folknik like this.
  16. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Long live the CD!

17. Michael

they are forever young and never age unless they get a "rot" disease....which is quite rare. : )

danielbravo likes this.
  18. Michael

accidents happen...what I find puzzling is how ppl mange to scratch Blu-Ray discs?...

19. Michael

well they will around here! Indeed...

Front 242 Addict and Folknik like this.
  20. fretlessrich

fretlessrich Forum Resident

I agree, and would even go a step further... When the mainstream stops making CDs and factories stop producing them, it is virtually guaranteed that they will become cool and desirable. The fact that a CD-R is actually distinguishable from a factory made CD means that there's at least some theoretical marker of "scarcity". And the fact that so many CDs are being thrown out, and so many are in terrible condition (because they were tossed around peoples cars and left lying around), I think limits the supply of good-quality, factory made CDs.

21. Michael

does it have a USB port?..they are good as well...load that drive up and play away! No fuss no muss...

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I read a lot of e-books and I don't think that e-books and print books are as closely related an experience as CD's and other, non-disc based digital music. Illustrated print books are much more pleasing to look at and to read than their e-book counterparts, and some people (such as my wife) have a real problem with headaches when reading e-books that isn't a problem with print. But anyway, as I stated, I still listen to and enjoy CD's, but I don't think that the experience they provide will be as novel to people in the future as reading a print book or even listening to an LP (although I expect LP's will disappear long before print books ever do). It isn't a matter of judging CD's to be useless, but recognizing that CD's were simply the very first step in a digital music revolution that changed everything.

Another significant difference is that if you have a CD and a digital file ripped from that CD, what you have is an exact duplicate, if it's ripped to CD-quality. E-books are often not equivalent to their print counterparts - formatting is often much different and I notice way more typos in e-books compared to print books. Hopefully that is a situation that will improve in the future, but as it is, I've seen a lot of e-books are genuinely inferior to their print counterparts.

DesertHermit, AlanDistro and guppy270 like this.
  23. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

At my age, the right thing to do is record all of my CD's onto cassettes. The cassettes will outlast me, as will my records, but I have some CD's that are 34 years old and they don't look all that good.

24. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

On my walk to and from the subway stop I see a lot of "stuff" left in boxes on the sidewalk. Usually it's books and children's toys. It all goes quickly. I never see books last very long. Usually they are gone before I return on my evening commute. Occasionally, I see stack of vinyl records but they are always gone by the evening. On the weekends books and vinyl are gone within an hour or two.

This week there has been two boxes of CDs that were left out. I was surprised on the first day when pretty much everything in the boxes was still there after work. On the third day, most everything was still there and I remarked to my wife that it was sad to see all the CDs still there. Her response was brutal, "No one listens to CDs anymore." After the rain on Friday, the boxes were still there. no takers... Wasted CDs ruined by the rain.

MackKnife likes this.
  25. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

That's sad... I lived in Brooklyn in the early 90's and I furnished an entire apartment from stuff left on the sidewalk. Still have a few pieces too...

Front 242 Addict and ispace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.