Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Considering what they did to make DCC possible its amazing that it sounded as good as it did. It wasn't just that they used lossy compression to fit the audio data on the tape that moved at the standard compact cassette speed (1 7/8 inches per second), but they also divided the data into eight data tracks on each side (with one more track for metadata) to allow all of the lossy audio data to fit on the tape.

2. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

just got my recent royalty statement.CD sales were miniscule. most were digital sales followed by vinyl. oh and no cassettes sold but not sure the label ever made cassettes of our recordings.

3. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Nope, DAT was never a big format in the home it was used mainly by radio stations and music producers to get their mixes out to record labels, however DCC (digital compact cassette) was a thing for a short while (very short) now all are pretty much obsolete apart from the few minority hipsters keeping the old technology going.

Digital as a format has got better and better over the years, we are now to a point where it is absolutely perfect without using any mechanical nightmare machine to play it.

But you are right, why anyone in this day and age chooses such old formats is beyond me as well.

4. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

I didn't suggest that DAT was a widespread format. However, at the time it was touted as being a successor to analog tape and it could have been if it wasn't for DRM and that CD-R was just around the corner. Of course, once the digital information was no longer confined to a physical media that also spelled the end for CD-Rs and the beginning of the end for CDs generally.

shaboo likes this.
  5. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Sorry, I meant DCC not DAT. I have always referred to DCC as a form of a DAT.

6. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Because of the cool factor. Downloads are definitely frowned upon. I like the experience of popping the case then inserting and playing the tape, reading the liner notes of the tape, then watching the tape spin. I also like to use my fast forward to skip tracks.

Besides, you can’t do high-speed dubbing on a download or a digital file!

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  7. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

[​IMG]

Prevent eyestrain when inspecting detailed work and reading fine print.

Mr Mojo Risin likes this.
  8. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Actually, they are going out of fashion faster than CDs.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Where, and by whom? If downloads are so looked-down on, why does iTunes remain so popular, despite them not selling lossless files that 99% of the consumers don't care about, anyway. It's that way with any download store. You want a song or album, you click on it, pay, unless your card is already on file, and in seconds, you have your music ready to play or burn.

The only reason downloads are losing favor is because of streaming. Streaming is cheaper. I ike downloading (lossless) files because it's way more versitile than CDs or records, and they sound the same as CD.

shaboo likes this.
  10. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

And 16/44.1 pretty well covers the full range of human hearing as well, for most of us.

dalem5467 likes this.
  11. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

They will be obsolete when I am six feet under, my friends. Physical media until I die, and CD's will always be a part of my world.

basie-fan, melstapler, DaveJ and 4 others like this.
  12. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

THIS was the fad. A quick rise and now a very sharp fall. CD's will outlive them LOL

melstapler likes this.
  13. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

This thread will obsolete long before CDs.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It may, but there are other factors that play a role in how that music sounds, like filtering.

Kiko1974 and fortherecord like this.
  15. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

CDs and Laserdiscs are my first love - they'll never become obsolete. Laserbeam love :hugs:

[​IMG]

basie-fan, melstapler, DaveJ and 3 others like this.
  16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

CDs look nothing like cassettes.

melstapler and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  17. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Totally obsolete.

Bought yesterday

[​IMG]

Bought today

[​IMG]

Not pictured: things ordered online

18. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Second hand CDs are nice and cheap - great for buying and ripping to a hard drive.

19. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

My daughter is 12 and has maybe 5 CD'S and no downloads and her main format is streaming. I am 48 and my collection is LP, CD and MP3'S.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The only CD's my kids have are the stuff they listened to when they were in grammar school (Kidz Bop and the like).

Streaming for them, today. Although my oldest did mention she's considering a turntable purchase.....DON'T DO IT.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  21. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I just bought more discs today, as well.

22. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Amen to that! Exact same here.

broshfab4 likes this.
  23. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Right on! :righton:

24. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

After 55 pages...let's see if I have something interesting to add...

For me, CDs have become obsolete for "display". Back in the day, it was cool to see my collection of CDs nicely displayed in the home. Today, my wall of (mostly plastic case) CDs has the same feel as a bookcase of paperback books...just not the same vibe as larger hardback books. That's where LPs have the aesthetic advantage. They look more interesting on display. I actually prefer CD digipacks as they feel closer to an LP or book.

25. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

I feel similar about Laserdiscs over DVD/Blu-ray's for their 'LP' type feel and original art work (even though a BR is technically superior in picture quality and (most of the time) audio).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.