Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it must be the way you are storing them...my thousands of CDs are still pristine...can't say that for my cassettes...

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

They are still making CD's because there is still some demand for the them, although not like they were before. it not like what happened in the late 1980's when record companies purposely tried to eliminate vinyl from the market for CD's.

dkmonroe likes this.
  3. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Don't know, they are still pristine except for a few that seem to have that CD rot, so I am worried that it might get worse. So far I haven't lost any to the rot and try so hard to keep them in dry conditions, low humidity, etc...

4. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

I just bought a higher end SUV also but no CD player, as I learned is the case many newer makes in the past couple years. This was a major bummer as I did most of my CD listening in the car. Fortunately my new SUV audio system is amazing with multiple digital media options.

While I still love CDs and will continue to collect, I may venture into downloading more, at least with new releases, due to the limitations that I am now forced to deal with.

Crimson jon likes this.
  5. Michael

yes some pressing plants screwed up like PDO UK fiasco...far and few between though...

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I've got cds i have had since the mid eighties and they look great. A couple of cases are damaged from international travel, but the discs are still great. So i don't know what you did to yours?
    Cassettes were always rubbish.

dalem5467 likes this.
  7. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

It's how we all fill out our places. There's always good stuff on the sidewalk!

8. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

As pronounced as the downward trajectory of CD sales/market share is, the raw numbers are still far and away better than for vinyl even now, much less in the late 1980s or when vinyl sales eventually bottomed out in the 2000s, to say nothing of formats that actually died. CDs seem at least as likely to survive as a niche consumer product as go the way of the 8-track in the foreseeable future.

9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Never, I hope. Or at least not until I'm gone. I bought 60 this weekend for $39.09. Averages out to 61 cents each. 55 were classical, mostly name performers on name labels.

Front 242 Addict and PJM like this.
  10. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

It is discouraging to see CD sales decline and the lack of diverse availability in brick and mortar stores. I remember when they first came out; I had hundreds of vinyl titles that I replaced as soon as I could afford it. No more ticks, scratchy noises, continually cleaning records , replacing styluses and worn out LPs. CDs were a dream come true for me. I now have thousands of those silver ( and some gold) discs that I enjoy and hope I never have to part with. There are still a few places here in Knoxville that sell used CDS, and I shop Amazon and e bay on a frequent basis.

11. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

I don't agree. Back in 85-86 when I made the switch to CD, minum wage here in the states was around $3.25 an hour or so. CDs cost $14-15, at Walmart, so it took 4-5 hours work at minimum wage to purchase a CD. Today minimum wage is around $8 an hour and CDs average $10-12, even less than that considering how many budget priced new releases are out there. Doing the math that comes to around 90 minutes work at minimum wage to buy a CD. Much better than 30 years ago.

12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

CDs are obsolete when I look at my 8' rack in the hallway behind the living room and think "Hey, if I moved this out of here, I could put the TV on the wall, the receiver back here sideways, and have NO FURNITURE under the TV at all!" and then think "What can I do with these discs?!?!"

Because I too mostly listened in the car, and the one I drive most now has the CD player in the glove box, not too convenient. I'm sure my next car won't have one at all.

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  13. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

I have had only one CD succumb to rot. It was...I kid you not..."Disintegration" by The Cure.

14. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I repeat, nothing I have bought on CD over the last 12 months has been cheap. New release chart CDs are still £10 and remasters/deluxe re-releases of albums that I want are £15+. That is not the pricing of a dying format. The way people are talking I should be buying CDs for a few dollars. Sure they might exist, somewhere, but the stuff I want to buy is top dollar.

Boswell likes this.
  15. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

As long as they're making and selling CDs I'll be buying them. I normally buy about 20 or so a month on Amazon and EBay and very rarely spend over $100. I got the Lennon Anthology box set in the mail today. Paid $11.99 for it with free shipping on eBay. The deals and steals on CDs are everywhere right now. I'm buying as much as I can before the market corrects itself and CDs are $15 again. Never did like cassettes though. It seemed all my car stereos loved to eat them.

ispace, PJM, DME1061 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I would give it 5 years before the next generation of hipsters discover them.

17. It's going to be years before they become obsolete. The real question we should be asking is when do the big labels stop pressing CD runs for major new albums? That will be the real watershed moment. It's not happening now but ask me again in a year or two.

I listen to a wide range of acts and prefer buying them on CD/SACD. So far I've really only come across a few albums I wanted that never hit CD.

danielbravo and Front 242 Addict like this.
  18. I’m sure those cassettes sound just wonderful. If your CD’s “don’t look all that good” it’s because you’re not taking care of them properly.

19. gospelfish

gospelfish Forum Resident

CDs are going away and will not be coming back in any significant way. Sad state of affairs for people who love and hoard them still.

20. This!

PJM and Michael like this.
  21. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Living in Florida, I had a lot.
    Salt air and aluminum don't mix:

Every disc that was pressed by Discovery Systems won't read.
    French MPO discs corroded away. The surviving discs were copied to CD-R, I'm glad I did that since the originals don't play anymore..
    UK Nimbus all got sticky on the labels side and rotted away, goodbye Elton John DJM discs :(
    Mark Mothersbaugh "Music For Insomniacs" gold disc rotted to unplayable, a gold disc.
    All of my CDV discs are now unplayable due to rot.
    UK London/Decca German Polygram Rolling Stones discs survived unscathed.

vegafleet likes this.
  22. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

No, they are well taken care of. But honestly, I have a few that have some rot and that alone worries me about the medium as a whole.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  23. CDs are already obsolete. Majority of new vehicles do not come with a CD player. CD selection is poor in most stores, even actual record stores don't offer a very good selection, and I believe Best Buy is going to stop carrying CDs buy summer. I recently got rid of all my CDs. I still have some cassettes to listen to in my truck, and 6-7 crates of LPs, and no I don't purchase new records, as I will not pay $20-$30 for one album. I only buy second hand generally $5 or less.

timind, x2zero and dkmonroe like this.
  24. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Won't happen.

xybert likes this.
  25. Michael

why is it sad? we still have them ans always will...and they ain't going nowhere...NOTHING will bring me back to the dreaded vinyl!

danielbravo and dalem5467 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.