Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

^Well said. i.e. You don't miss yr water til the well runs dry.

mikedifr0923, Grant and genesim like this.
  2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

3. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I've always done my own thing. I probably spend $200 a month on CDs, and am only dimly aware that they are "uncool".

4. libertycaps

Strange how the millennial generation seems to celebrate and defend consensus/mainstream reality so often. I guess the controllers have done esp. well with them.
    My generation tends to celebrate the anti-hero and non conformity. I reckon most of us still do.

genesim likes this.
  5. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

So CDs are going the way of vinyl in the '90's?

In that case we need not worry.

Everything runs in cycles and CDs are just too damn durable to go anywhere. Who knows, in 10 years from now people will tire of paying exorbitant prices for vinyl and dealing with returns and exchanges and discover CDs are a cheaper, more reliable option to both vinyl and downloading.

CDs aren't disappearing but that won't stop people from predicting they are for the next 25 years.

no.nine, RSteven, L.P. and 5 others like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm enjoying the dance.

Wish I had more time to reply but I'll make do.

7. doppelganger

doppelganger Forum Resident

Meh. It's all good if you enjoy yourself. But for a lot of us the music is the meal. We don't really care much about the kind of delivery trucks that were necessary to bring us the ingredients. In the end, we're all very lucky to be able to listen to digital music in fantastic quality (i.e. CD quality and better) these days.

8. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

It is a fascinating lecture. Listen to it. If you can't adapt a modern attention time-span to a more reflexive mindset, jump to 11:00 for the conclusion.

This video was produced in the context of the discussion of language-learning materials and polyglottery, a subject on which the professor is a world authority, and how old manuals and methods from the 50s and 60s were vastly superior to anything being produced today. Besides languages themselves, language-learning imparts wide-ranging lessons, among them the sense of how material culture, the way of doing things and civilization might deteriorate with time instead of progressing with technology - that is, belie the mythology of our times.

It might give people pause before ditching a perfect consumer product and delivery and archival medium such as the CD.

doppelganger likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You mentioned a movie being preserved on analog film, as if it's the same as storing information on a BD disc. It's not. One is analog, and one is digital. I know you know this, but your mentioning of the movie doesn't even factor into the discussion.

You have a preference for physical media, namely BD, but you haven't convinced anyone that it is superior to hard drives. In other words, you cannot argue a preference. Now, if BD storage were superior (and practical), you'd have a chance of convincing us.

BTW, hard drives/SSD, and USB are all physical media, too!

Gaslight likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I am a baby-boomer.

11. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

In the antiques industry, quality always sells. If you want to make money, buy quality items. To do this you need to educate yourself.
    Vinyl is on its way to becoming antique. High quality items are surging in price. We can expect to see the same happen with CD's on the longer run.
    I get a buzz out of buying remarkedly well preserved records, often of stuff I have never heard. It may be the cover that does it or just a feeling I get. In the future, it will be the case that people will be able to play CD's that are several hundred years old. I think that would be a really cool thing to do but it may well be the preserve of the rich as vast numbers of CD's will have ended up in landfill as people ditch them for streaming.

deredordica likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I actually did my homework on MDISC some years ago and went through the pros/cons for myself. I didn't pull my opinions out of a hat, two days ago.

I may even still consider that tech in the future, but my main concern is longevity and I don't mean the disc. I mean the licensing, proprietary nature of the format and the stability of the company that owns it. Proprietary and long-term usually don't mix too well.

Correct, it's a preferences thing.
    I already know a one-time write optical format, for day to day use, its not optimal for me. Again, been through this with CDR/DVDR backups I have. My digital collection is very fluid in nature.

Our replies are improving I think. :)

I have no issue with that. As long as you aren't telling me that onion chicken gravy salad is the best way to eat bananas, in general. You have your way, I have my way.

Obviously I've been reading all your replies to me. Nothing you've written, so far, changes my opinion on MDISC and its usability for me. In the reverse...whatever works for you is of course your business.

It's the presentation - some of it has been a bit off-putting.

Not that my replies haven't have a bit snarky at times, but I call it as I see it. Examples.....

If it's so easy, show me the numbers here please. I just stated it would cost me ~$180 for 3TB data with two backups.

How much would that equivalent cost for 3TB x two (not even three) pressed BDR's. Would it beat $180?

So you don't even fill up those MDISC's? You must have money to burn then.

What is this 75TB of data, are you including audio CD's / LP's in that? Because if you are, especially with LP's, you have a glaring hole in redundancy that I don't have at the moment. If my house burned down today most of my Cd's and LP's are ripped losslessly and backed up offsite.

My backup solution is rotating schedule - drives go in / out of active service. If one drive gets trashed, I'm good. I could have issues with CRC on file(s) if I don't catch them quickly but so far I've been good there. The second backup is usually a longer archive solution in case something like that occurs.

Again, it's worked in various forms for twenty years now. Used to be tape backups initially, then to optical, then HDD's. Eventually? who knows - some SSD variant I would guess. MDISC again is not really a solution at this time, I'll look at it again in a few years. Hopefully the new company won't go belly up, in the meantime.

13. libertycaps

Oh. The house burning down. I love that one. What's more likely: A hard drive crash or house burning down?
    Is there hard drive crash insurance? Lols.

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I've brought this up before, but my basement flooded some years back. Didn't lose any CD's but I lost a number of liner notes. And actually about two years ago I was extremely close to an electrical fire, dodged a major bullet here (very shoddy home wiring, pre-dates when I moved in).

My brother's house was trashed also, about a year after my flood - he lost pretty much everything he didn't carry with him. It's unlikely, but it does happen.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  15. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Not my words in your quote. Everything breaks down sooner or later. I'm mostly concerned with functionality during what time I have left (2 to 3 decades).

16. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Thank god I am not the only one spending that much money on music haha

deredordica likes this.
  17. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

With tools like Hard Disk Sentinel you can constantly monitor all your HDDs/SSDs and their health status, helping you to detect possible warning signs of a crash.

Usually you'll have at least two backups, one of it off-site. Doing this and still losing all three copies of all your data is definitely at least as unlikely as a burning house.

FLAC has built-in MD5 checksums, so you can regularly check the integrity of your data. Even a single bit changed will be detected this way. If you encounter any errors you can simply restore that data from one of your backups. There's really no need to be afraid of your peer reviewed files getting deteriorated in any way.

Of course it's nice to have a second, completely independent method of backup, be it an upload to some cloud or burning to discs.

genesim likes this.
  18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The OP lost interest in this thread minutes after starting it and hasn't revisited in 4 months. :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.