CEASE FIRE in 3-D!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob Furmanek, Mar 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Forum Resident Thread Starter

We are very proud to announce a 3-D Film Archive restoration for Kino Lorber Studio Classics of a very important and historic motion picture:

Cease Fire - 3dfilmarchive

halfjapanese and Derek Gee like this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I never heard of this movie, but it looks quite innovative and daring for its day, even today!
    It certainly is the most unique 'war movie' that I know of.

The story about Pfc. Carrasco and his mother is heartbreaking.

3. Bob Furmanek

Indeed, a very sad story.

4. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Thanks, Bob. Like stereoptic, I'd never heard of this unusual film. Kudos to all involved in its restoration, to the 3-D Film Preservation Fund, and to Ted Okuda for his in-depth information about the film in your link.

5. Bob Furmanek

Thanks very much.

The 3-D Film Preservation Fund is now part of the 3-D Film Archive!

Gary likes this.
  6. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I don't know what to say that I haven't said here every time you posted about a new 3-D restoration.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I buy every Blu-ray that you've worked on.

But I still wish I could find an affordable passive 3-D TV.

7. Bob Furmanek

Here is the first review of the new 3-D Blu-ray: 3D Blu-ray Review - Cease Fire: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW

The reviewer gave high praise to the restored three-channel stereophonic sound and I shared this information:

CEASE FIRE was originally heard theatrically in three-channel stereophonic sound. The audio was played back on separate rolls of 35mm full-coat magnetic film which was interlocked with the left/right 3-D prints. (First Year of Stereophonic Motion Pictures - 3dfilmarchive )

Those magnetic elements are long gone so for this restoration, we asked the brilliant audio engineer Eckhard Büttner to recreate the lost stereo sound from existing mono optical track elements. Using his arsenal of digital spectral tools, his work is nothing short of miraculous and the full spread of the three-channel audio really helps bring the film back to life. Stereophonic sound was a big part of the battlefield realism that Owen Crump and Hal Wallis were looking to incorporate into this production. Of course, the original mono mix is also available on the Blu-ray as well.

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.