Celebrating Neil Finn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Yeah I agree. I dig him as a guitarist but not with FM

2. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

He's had a fantastic and varied career. He keeps us all guesssing. Split Enz, Crowded House, solo stuff, Finn Brothers, Pyjama Club, now this Liam and Neil Finn record, which is FANTASTIC, exactly the reason I got into his music twenty years ago: moody, atmospheric, poppy yet arty. I can't believe some of his songs aren't more well known (at least in the Northern Hemisphere.) Going all the way back to "One Step Ahead." How is that not on everybody's playlist?

What I like about Neil Finn is not only his melodies and his songcraft which often reveals itself after repeated listenings; but it's the undercurrent of darkness that kind of runs through his music and the odd sounds he gets. The dissonant stuff that's low in the mix. One of the reasons I liked Together Alone and Finn Brothers first album (which were the two albums that sucked me completely into the Finn world) was how those darker elements were emphasized a little more. I'd say that the latest record with Liam Finn is much in the same vein and is probably one of my top five favorites in his oeuvre.

With the releases of those deluxe Crowded House records a few years ago, as well as Afterglow in the 90s, I was blown away by the quality of the outtakes from those records. BLOWN AWAY. There are easily two-three high quality records of unreleased stuff from those records. I ended up making a bunch of playlists, my favorite being a "Crowded House 96" album utilizing the Together Alone outtakes from the deluxe sets and Afterglow, the '94 stuff (with Peter Green on drums) and the '96 Recurring Dream songs and outtakes. This playlist is a fantastic, gritty mid-ninetiees rock album, harder rockign than the stuff he released.

I feel like there are a couple of things working against him: one, it always takes a few listens before his music really opens up and you really hear how good the melodies and how strong the songcraft is, not to mention the odd production touches. And two, the success of "Don't Dream Its Over" really pegged him and Crowded House in America as this sort of Phil Collins-like pop guy. That song continues to earn him lots of money, but it also is the song that defines him in the States and makes him kind of "uncool." I feel that a big reason Crowded House broke up was just that they were trying too hard to make it in America. As a an American fan at the time, I could have told them they were wasting their time in that market!

As far as Fleetwood Mac goes....I will buy a record if it has Neil Finn's songs on it, but I'd much rather have a dozen songs by Finn than three or four by him and a bunch from Nicks and McVie: not knocking their talents, of course, just that I think Neil Finn is the bees knees.

I'm also a big fan of Tim Finn: though his early solo career was a bit spotty, the last five albums or so he did were fantastic, as if he'd finally found his post-Split Enz feet. I know he is writing musicals now or something I do hope he releases another album someday somehow.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  3. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. PRW94

5. HotelYorba101

Yeah I can see them making some new material that kicks ass, but I think that they will need, as a band unit to step up the energy level. It is hard to judge if it is a natural lack of chemistry live or if they just haven't had the time to prepare before these recent shows but it just is really underwhelming. Maybe if they write material all of them are involved in as opposed to covering other people's parts with a band where one huge songwriter presence is not there, it can kick the band chemistry up a notch. So I will remain hopeful if that ever happens

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Bebstrel likes this.
  6. davers

davers Forum Resident

Interesting. Last time I saw Crowded House in '94, relative newbie Sheryl Crow was the opening act.

7. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

One of my favourites from Neil's Split Enz days.

8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I like his brother more ! he is ok but these last 10 years he seems to have lost his pop smarts like he had in the late years of split enz and early years of crowded house ! while his brother Tim is just better as he ages!

Lance LaSalle and nsm like this.
  9. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I know...disap disappointed that he stooped that level.

This was always one of my favorites:

DEAN OF ROCK, Dan C and Lance LaSalle like this.
  10. PRW94

I guess we can't avoid bringing Fleetwood Mac into it ... :( ... oh well ... as far as "stooping," somebody pays me a few million dollars for a few months' work, I'll gladly stoop down and scrape the floor with my face.

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Neil Finn is in my hall of fame for sure! Amazing creative artist! I too hope the FM thing brings him some new ears. Dave Mason didn't fit in with the Mac, maybe Neil won't either, or maybe he will, for those not interested just focus on other things, no big. We've already gotten so much amazing music from Neil anyway! Have had that fancy True Colours LP by Split Enz since 'back in tha day' (and a single of Six Months In A Leaky Boat as well) so been a fan from then...
    [​IMG]

12. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Neil Finn is unquestionably one one of the most talented songwriters and vocalists of his generation, and among my top 10 all-time favorite artists (possibly in my top 5 of currently active artists). His work almost always manages to maintain a balance between catchy songcraft and the often dark, oblique, yet oddly touching details that create a sense of remarkable intimacy. Everything he produces is an auto-buy for me. I honestly hope he doesn't stay with Fleetwood Mac very long, for the reason Lance LaSalle articulated above--he's just too talented to be spending too much time in a band with two other primary singer-songwriters also vying for attention and performance space. That said, I would be mildly curious to hear him collaborating with Christine McVie in particular, as I can imagine their singing and songwriting being compatible in interesting ways.

13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Early photo of Neil Finn in Split Enz (far right, pretty sure that's Tim on the far left)... they really looked bloody daft early on, trying really really hard to get some notice I suppose, but... eep! :laugh:
    [​IMG]

georgespigott and Lance LaSalle like this.
  14. PRW94

I said in the Fleetwood Mac thread, Something So Strong could've come from Christine's pen.

mark winstanley and NorthNY Mark like this.
  15. HotelYorba101

Honestly I can't blame Neil for joining and making some cash - it is good promotion for his own name too

I am more peeved at the already-existing FM memebers for going Buckingham-less and thinking they would still have the ability to do songs like The Chain without him regardless of who they hire to try and take his place

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  16. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Good point--I can imagine her singing "Fall at Your Feet" as well--and possibly "Sinner."

mark winstanley and PRW94 like this.
  17. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Neil Finn is a musical genius... possibly overshadowed by his equally brilliant brother Tim, in Split Enz.
    Crowded House were a breath of fresh air at a time when we were still enjoying INXS, Jimmy Barnes and the resurgence of John Farnham.
    Crowded House and Split Enz were IMO equally brilliant in their own individual way. Time will tell how Neil will go with Fleetwood Mac.

Bevok and Lance LaSalle like this.
  18. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Totally out of the loop when it comes to the Mac thing , I take it he's replacing Lindsey .
    I can see why they picked him , his voice is very suited to the Mac .

As for his earlier work , I love his Split Enz days , not much of a Crowded House fan except a few songs .

Split Enz - I Got You

Personal favorite , great memories rollerskating to this when a pre-teen .

19. Ostinato

Ostinato Old and wise

Neil is without any doubt one of the greatest songwriters ever. Together Alone is one of my desert island disks. His lyrics are wonderful, they seem simple but there's always something new to discover. Great melodies, great voice that always seems to speak directly to me ... I'll be seeing Liam and Neil perform live when they come to Amsterdam next january. The recording sessions of his last album Out of Silence were streamed live and are all on YouTube now. Check out Chameleon Days.

BeSteVenn, Useaname, Paul H and 7 others like this.
  20. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I think for the reported 12 million dollar payday, it would be very hard not to stoop to that level!

PRW94 likes this.
  21. motownmaniac

12 million ? I would clean their toilets and every venues toilets they played in for that .

22. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Definitely my favorite song on Out Of Silence.

23. motownmaniac

"Locked Out" is a personal favorite of mine .
    Just checked discogs and no original vinyl release in Australia of Together Alone (please correct if wrong)

Crowded House - Locked Out

this reminds me of the Enz in their heyday .

24. Captain Keefheart

Captain Keefheart Forum Resident

25. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

I saw them on this tour as well - good show as I recall.

davers and Lance LaSalle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.