Celebrating Neil Finn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I wish I had seen them on that tour. That was the tour they broke up on, Paul left the band in Atlanta and they played the rest of their dates with Sheryl Crow’s drummer

2. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

John Lennon. Paul McCartney. Nil Fun.

--Geoff

Mooserfan likes this.
  3. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Should have stayed far away from FM. He looks uncomfortable and the vocals are awful.

4. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Every time I hear this track I think "If only McCartney had collaborated with Neil Finn....."

5. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I was 'down the front' for this amazing set 10 years ago. Would love to see them again some day.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  6. Ostinato

Ostinato Old and wise

Yes, much of his work is very Beatlesque. I seem to remember reading Neil is a real Beatles-nut. In any case, this song sounds like it's meant to sound like the beatles:

jon9091 likes this.
  7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

The man is a genius. I can't begin to put into words how much I adore his music.

8. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I completely agree.
    Honestly, there hasn’t been an album released since Together Alone that I’ve loved or played more.
    It’s the kind of record you give to a prospective girlfriend to make sure she’s the one. :)

9. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Love this tune, deserved to be a hit.

PRW94 likes this.
  10. moeson

moeson Forum Resident

I saw them in NYC the day Cobain died. Paul was not himself. There was none of the usual stage banter/joking and he barely sang harmony.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  11. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I think "they" should capitalize on this recent rather surprising turn with FM and put out a career-spanning anthology covering Enz, CH, the Finn Brothers, solo, etc.. It probably wouldn't have much value to the diehards but surely someone in the stands may want to check out his career. And it would be a great collection of songs.

The new band has been covered extensively and I don't want to add much, but I am a little peeved that he put out the gorgeous "Out of Silence" mere months ago and I'll probably never hear those songs live, but I could go see him belting out "Go Your Own Way". I'm still weirded out over this, really.

BeSteVenn, PRW94 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  12. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

Nearly 40 if you count Split Enz

Lance LaSalle and PRW94 like this.
  13. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

They played Boston in early April 94 and it was a good show, but yes, none of the spontaneity of previous tours. End was definitely near, though I didn't know it at the time. Together Alone is an amazing album.

Neil is a very gifted songwriter, producer, performer, and a funny guy. Love the catalog of work he's provided us over the last 40 years! One Nil remains my favorite along with Finn Bros Everyone is Here.

I was lucky to be living in San Francisco from 1998-2005 and he almost always did area shows when coming across the Pacific. Wish I made it to some of the Largo shows tho...

Lance LaSalle and moeson like this.
  14. cbucki

cbucki Forum Resident

Huge fan of Neil Finn.

I was handed a cassette of the "Crowded House" debut in 1987, and have purchased every bit of his output since. Multiple shows; all fantastic, particularly the Basilica Music Festival appearance in MPLS on the One Nil tour in 2002. It was the Summer after 9/11 and his version of "DDIO" was one of the most compelling things I've experienced at any show before or since.

Going to see Fleetwood Mac expressly to see Neil and Mike Campbell in this formulation, even though Lindsey Buckingham is also an icon in my book.

It will be nice to see Neil with an electric guitar again. He can play, although he's taken a decade vacation from anything interesting to my tastes.

I'm hoping the Mac gig generates some beatlesque-pop masterpieces when Neil returns to the studio, with or without Fleetwood Mac.

BadJack and Lance LaSalle like this.
  15. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Honestly, given some of the people Neil has worked with in the past ... donning Kevlar and admittedly stirring the caca pot, so be it ... his present arrangement could be seen as a comedown.

But I'd have questioned his sanity if he'd turned down this platform/spotlight and especially this check. Artistic integrity looks wonderful from afar, sometimes in the real world you have to grab an opportunity and run with it as far as you can. :)

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  16. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

The money would be near impossible to turn down and hes buds with Fleetwood. Just hope the drama doesn’t suck him in.

17. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

so true !

18. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I saw the Boston date of that tour and still consider it one of, if not the best, show I've ever seen. It was joyous. Funny thing is that he didn't even play surefire showstoppers like "Don't Dream" and "Fall at Your Feet" (the listing on setlist.fm is waaaay off and mentions an Eddie Vedder apperance that didn't happen!) and I don't think anybody cared.

19. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

top 5 of all time for me. his masterpiece.

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I tried so bloody hard to like his stuff after CH. His work there was almost scary in its volume and quality. The only thing I have after the band is that flawless live album he did with the great Paul Kelly.
    This is really good, tho:

21. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Great post! Would love to see your setlists.

22. DEAN OF ROCK

Yes, the Paul Kelly collaboration is excellent!

23. DEAN OF ROCK

Don’t forget the two 7 Worlds Collide albums.

24. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Neil Finn is amazing in all his guises. I've seen him with Crowded House and solo so far, and have tickets to the Neil and Liam tour next year.

I'd like to throw Faster Than Light into the mix!

25. JoshM

JoshM Forum Resident

I love Neil Finn, and the first Finn Brothers album is perhaps my favorite work of his. It’s a great sounding album, and I could listen to “Only Talking Sense” 50 times in a row and not get sick of it.

tables_turning and Lance LaSalle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.