Cellarful of Motown - very interesting NPR report

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GregY, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregY

GregY New Member Thread Starter

As I heard this on NPR's All Things Considered this evening, I immediately thought of the members of this board. :) It's about the semi-new release "A Cellarful of Motown":
    Point your Real Player to this link (if Real Player is installed, you can probably just click on this hyperlink):
    http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/atc/20020823.atc.15.ram

Enjoy!

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I heard this driving home this evening and thought of posting a link tonight. Great minds think alike, huh? :)

Funny how the impetus for this stuff finally seeing the light of day came from Britain's "northern soul" movement. Sometimes I think classic soul and R&B are more appreciated in the UK than they are in their country of origin.

3. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I posted some brief thoughts about it (and a link to a review in the Detroit Free Press that I totally agree with) in another thread. Being lazy, insteading of reposting anything here right now, here is a link to that thread. Again, a great set and highly recommended. I have been spending a lot of time with it lately and a new gem does seem to appear on every listen. Can't get enough of the Brenda Holloway and Tammi Terrell tracks, although there are not really any letdowns across the two discs.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6119&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

4. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

ALL American music is more appreciated in Europe and Asia than it is in the U.S.The best reissue labels are there.:righton:

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Yep, you nailed that one cuz!!! I'd be SOL for rockabilly or garage band stuff except for the likes of Ace and Bear Family. One advantage to foreign comps is that licensing rules are different in Europe, and discs tend to have a LOT of tracks, like those 30+ cut That'll Flat Git It RAB sets I crave...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.