Cello Audio Palette?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ericpeters, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member Thread Starter

I had a talk with Mark Levinson once where he Introduced the Cello Audio Pallette Equalizer in europe. At that time he stated that is was also designed for freshing up old dull sounding master tapes when remastering. He demonstrated that quite impressive at that time.
    Would a professional mastering studio use equipment like that for this goal, or even use the Cello Audio Pallette?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No. It won't do enough and is way too much money for what it does do (IMO).

3. Hey Steve: Didja hear that Mark just co-authored a sex manual for married couples with his wife---Kim Cattrall of "Sex In The City"? They're on a joint book tour as we speak!:D

4. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

5. GMav

GMav Senior Member

Luke,

I understand that Mark and Kim are working on an audio book version. They will be using Mark's own equipment to record it, and possibly might choose Jon Astley to master it. Perhaps everyone here should lobby to let Steve have a crack at it.

What do you think Steve?....How about it?

6. Actually, Greg, Mark will probably release it on his own Red Rose Music label himself!:p :D

7. GMav

GMav Senior Member

So, Luke..........do you think Mark is going to master it himself?

8. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Wilma Cozart Fine used the Cello Suite and other preamplifiers, but not the Audio Palette, to remaster Mercury Living Presence CDs. She must have been thinking along the same line. :)
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~rabruil/mercury.html

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic Senior Member

ericpeters,

While i have briefly owned the Cello Audio Palette, i found it produce a layer of whiteness over the music. Hard to fully describe, yet it was definately there. Furthermore, Steve H is right that it is VERY limited in what it can do. If you do not mind digital, there are MANY professional digital EQ devices that provide virtually limitless features/eq ability and memory settings. If you must have an analog EQ, i am not sure what to suggest as i have yet to hear one i like :-(

Enjoy the Music,

Steven R. Rochlin
    http://www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

10. ericpeters

ericpeters Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the info,
    I wouldn't buy it anyway. I read something about Red-rose music and that triggered me to ask this question, just curiosity.

11. Gerry

Gerry New Member

I seem to remember that Tom Jung used one in the early DMP days (maybe not the strongest endorsement). But Steve's right, time has moved on and there is a lot more bang available for the buck now (probably was then too). In its defense though, I think it was originally intended more as a set of tone controls than as an equalizer as we've come to know the term.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.