CES 2015

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by triple, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triple

triple Senior Member Thread Starter

There seems to be no interest in what's going on in Las Vegas this year, hence this thread.

Please post anything CES related here. I am (always) interested. Thanks.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Wasn't MoFi unveiling a new mastering system of some sort?

hi_watt likes this.
  4. triple

triple Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, but what titles?

5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

when Sony never brought out any bigger consumer OLED TV's ,I started to think that CES doesn't matter to me ,since a lot of the products never come out

hi_watt likes this.
  6. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

If the first title isn't "Kind Of Blue" it's never going to see the light of day...

triple and raferx like this.
  7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

8. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

The Hugo TT (Table Top) DAC is supposed to be unveiled today.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  9. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I've had this pre-ordered for like, six months at least!

10. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

It's been like 3 years for me at this point

art likes this.
  11. deadcoldfish

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's quite mystifying, as there are a LOT of things being introduced this year, especially in music and home stereo. This is one year I wish I could have been there.

motorcitydave likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

14. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Audeze introduced a headphone DAC/amp and some new headphones.

Deckard DAC/amp for $699
    http://audeze.com/products/amplifiers-0/deckard

EL-8 headphones, in both open and closed flavors, for $699
    http://audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8

$699 Audeze headphones :D
    There's already a monster thread on Head-Fi. Over 500 posts already with nothing much to say.
    Jude's first post in the thread has some info and pictures: http://www.head-fi.org/t/749214/audeze-el-8-the-el-8-is-a-must-hear-at-ces-2015#post_11190127
    And a photostream by Jude: http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/941592/audeze-el-8/

cwsiggy likes this.
  16. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I saw that earlier and then read this on their website:

The D150 uses the same revered DAC as the D100, featuring an 8 channel, 32-bit, 500kHz D/A converter with wide dynamic range and extremely low distortion. Eight channel D/A converter is used in stereo Quad Balanced mode. Music at all levels is reproduced with extreme precision and elegance. A 1/8” mini jack is provided for control data from the data output jack of a McIntosh preamp or A/V Control Center. It shares the classic façade, knobs and handcrafted black-glass front panels as all other McIntosh components in a small form factor of just under 4" in height.

So are they saying the D100 had the capability the whole time they just didn't release it that way? If so, I wonder if the D100 can be updated via firmware?

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's a good question. I'm not sure if DSD is granted by hardware or software. But regardless of what the answer technically is, I seriously doubt we'd be given an upgrade path.

18. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I emailed them for the heck of it and will report back as soon as they get back to me.

19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Come on, how about some GOOD NEWS like, somebody is opening a new U.S. SACD pressing plant, so we can actually get the announced Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity (By the way, I like the old "DCC" name better, for what it's worth) SACD's, that these two companies keep scheduling and then endlessly bumping on their expected release dates, or in the case of Mobile Fidelity, on their expected release YEARS!

ls35a and Daniel Thomas like this.
  21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I think Klipsch has signed Energy's death certificate.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  22. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Jude just put up a video on those headphones. Based on a quick listen, he says they are awesome.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Tombby likes this.
  23. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Pono is supposed to be all over CES... will have to wait to see the buzz they can generate.

24. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Of course. Everything is Awesome! :pineapple:

I also just noticed that the LCD-2 bamboo version is now $916 on the Audeze web site and the Rosewood version is $1066. They were $995 and $1145. Not sure if this is a sale or their new regular price.

25. deadcoldfish

rave about MQA:

http://www.techhive.com/article/286...nology-is-the-best-product-at-ces-so-far.html

Chrislu demoed the system for me at the Venetian, where all the high-end audio vendors hawk their wares in large, well-isolated suites. I sat on a couch in front of a pair of very high-end speakers and asked to hear tracks from two of my favorite recording artists: Dire Straits and Steely Dan. I expected to hear more detail and better separation in the guitar, drums (especially the cymbals and high hat), and I did. I heard guitar parts in “Sultans of Swing” that I never knew existed. And the decay in some of the bass lines in “Gaucho” shocked me; I’d never known those notes lasted as long as they did.

But what really knocked me out was the quality of the vocals. I don’t know a better way to explain it than to say it was like hearing human beings sing after listening to robots. There was such an emotional aspect to it than when Chrislu asked me what I thought at the end of the demo, I actually got choked up and couldn’t answer him for a moment. Yes, you could say I was verklemp.

joeybgood, Amateurish and LEONPROFF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.