CGI Is Starting to Suck

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misko

misko Forum Resident

2. It kind of bugs me when they defy gravity. It's like the car that explodes when someone shoots at it or it goes over a cliff and explodes into flame as it goes over. Could it happen? Maybe but it's really really Unlikely.

3. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

IMHO, with very few exceptions (Gollum, Terminator 2) CGI has always sucked when it's used really heavily. It's so often masturbatory. I'm looking forward to seeing Episode VII. Hopefully JJ Abrams uses it as it should be used, for enhancement and not as a crutch. Like 1983 George Lucas was saying.

D-rock likes this.
  4. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

The proof is in the pudding: I dont think there's ever been a great film made where CGI was used prominently. One could make an argument for Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, etc... but one could also argue with that, many of those films having their share of detractors.

5. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

It does look more realistic than the Jurassic World trailer. I'm not kidding.

6. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

That's just not true.

Zoot Marimba and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

There was meant to be some irony with my delivery there :)

tcj likes this.
  8. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

This is true, but if you love going to the movies, and you live in a small town with one theater, it is frustrating that these CGI films make up 85% of what hits your big screens, with at least another 10% being big studio fumbles at drama and comedy...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

EdgardV and SgtPepper1983 like this.
  9. PlushFieldHarpy

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Just like music, I'm pretty sure most of us have our feelers out for any great art, but it's just not there. If you delve into the indie pond you will find much to dislike, as well.

10. Submit a script to the studios and get back to me on that stat...

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. I've posted this pic before in the forums but it absolutely is a case in point for why CG is going backwards. LOTR era Peter Jackson without the Hollywood clout and pressed for time and money would never let the following CG pass. However post Oscar hound Jackson let this through QC for the FINISHED PRODUCT (not a trailer place holder), with enough gall to throw it on the big screen in 48 FPS. Notice anything familiar about these soldiers?:
    [​IMG]

chumlie, JimC, goodiesguy and 3 others like this.
  12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Wow. I thought the battle scenes in HOBBIT looked disturbingly symmetric throughout and somewhat cartoonish as a result, but I wasn't sure if that wasn't a conscious choice, as the story is much simpler than that of LOTR. But that is awful -- and awfully lazy.

JimC, Hutch and seed_drill like this.
  13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Citizen Kane and the Seven Samurai have detractors, so that is not enough to disqualify a film from being great. :)

Other Recent CGI-heavy films that are pretty good (excluding fully animated films of which there are many good ones)

Life of Pi
    Gravity
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    Marvel's The Avengers

14. PlushFieldHarpy

I wouldn't compare Citizen Kane with The Avengers, or even Life of Pi. And there is enough of a consensus to land it somewhere near #1 on most polls. It's a curse to remember when movies could be great.

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well said, Vidiot.

In my view...It's not the CGI that's the problem, it's the overuse and reliance on it, to the point that it's become a crutch.

SandAndGlass, EdgardV, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

You know who really doesn't like CG films? OLD PEOPLE. :D

This is one of my favorite "damn kids, get off my lawn!" topics on this board. Never ceases to be amusing.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Neither would I, but I would use them as an example of consensus classics that have detractors to prove that criterion alone is not sufficient to remove a film from consideration as such. Would you do that? :)

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Have to agree with that first paragraph of yours.

19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Your right, I'm old and the CGI films are boring and repetitive.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I disagree. I have no problem with the use of CG - as long as it's done well. Unfortunately, so many movies use it poorly that it becomes a problem and it harms those movies.

I'm not one of these guys who bitches about popcorn movies or whatever - I love summer movies. I just don't like the cheap, fake look of so much CG...

goodiesguy and Hutch like this.
  21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I wasn't being serious, just poking a little fun.

My take: CG is a TOOL. How that tool is used depends on whether it is artistically successful or not. Some modern CG is gorgeous, some of it is atrocious and there are varying degrees in between (often all three can be seen in the same film). But I don't blame the tool, that's ludicrous.

I also find it amusing that many times people that say they hate CG probably don't even notice that most films have CG and they probably aren't even aware of it.

Personally I like a combination of physical effects and CG. Look at some of the making-of videos of the recent Mad Max: Fury Road film, yes, there are lots of physical stunts...but they have also been composited together and most of the scenery and backgrounds were created digitally...and I would venture that many people didn't even notice that.

Zoot Marimba and pcfchung like this.
  22. pcfchung

pcfchung Active Member

Couldn't agree more. You nailed it.

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I remember reading something about Ridley Scott's KINGDOM OF HEAVEN -- still, to my eyes, one of the best looking movies ever made -- stating something to the effect that the reader should go see this movie, because you may never see a movie with sets this spectacular again. They will never construct sets this massive, decorate them like this, or even furnish the actors with this level of costuming. It'll all be done on hard drives overseas. (Obviously KINGDOM had plenty of CGI, too, but I assume it was applied to the armies-in-the-desert shots, rather than everything the actors were wearing or walking in front of.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    Karnak likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What horrible talk show is that? That's the worst comedy of all time.

Every time Chris Pratt opens his mouth I still expect him to say something stupid ala Parks and Recreation. In this case the dinosaur did that.

I don't mind CGI as long as it shows me something original that I couldn't possibly see in any other way. It beats the hell out of....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  25. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I shook my head only about 10 times through the avengers movie, the opening battle sequence all the soldiers look like video game puppets and watching the characters walk-through avengers headquarters it was obvious there was not a set within 1,000 miles of those actors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.