Changing music tastes, recommendations welcomed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by draganm, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Popsy

Popsy Well-Known Member

Can't tell if you're looking for new music (as in current), or if you're just looking for music that's new to you! Either way, here are some suggestions to get you started:
    Possibly new to you - Ben Harper, Bloodrock, Captain Beyond, Little Feat, Savoy Brown, Tom Petty, Wishbone Ash.
    More current - Beardfish (progressive), Big Big Train (probably progressive), Cracker/Camper Van Beethoven (classic rock), Clutch (hard rock), Fates Warning (hard rock), Jack White (pop rock), Kingcrow (progressive), Opeth (metal), Slightly Stoopid (reggae), The White Buffalo (folk rock).

Quite a mix there, so check them out to see who you like, and enjoy the experience.

2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Try Sea and Cake’s album Oui....its music anyone with good ears can love. Music Direct has it on vinyl.

timind likes this.
  3. Durhambird

Durhambird Well-Known Member

Give these a try;
    Traffic - Shoot Out at The Fantasy Factory
    John Mayall - Jazz Blues Fusion
    John Mayall - Moving On
    John Mayall - Ten Year Gone
    Derek Trucks Band - pretty much everything!

Joti Cover likes this.
  4. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Another really nice one from 2005 is Snow Borne Sorrow by Nine Horses, which is a collaboration between David Sylvian, his brother Steve Jansen (same as the Japan days) and electronic composer Burnt Friedman, with trumpeter Arve Henriksen, Swedish vocalist Stina Nordenstam, and Ryuichi Sakamoto on piano. It's kind of a return to the lush and accessible sound of Sylvian's late 90's Dead Bees On A Cake, with maybe a bit more electronics and more of a jazz feel, especially on the amazing standout third track called "The Banality of Evil" that goes on for 8 minutes and sounds very exotic and polyrhythmic, somewhat reminiscent of Peter Gabriel, with some enchanting backing vocals and then the ending comes along with some soft and skronky horn soloing somewhat akin to Ornette Coleman's work with Joe Henry on his great Scar album. Wonderful song. But only one of many. Really a nice album. Like much of Sylvian's work, it gets kind of intoxicating with that deep and subtle voice playing against the oftentimes complex arrangements and textures. Might be the best thing Sylvian has done in recent times. Pretty nice sound too.

5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Haken - this instrumental overture is on their 2011 album Visions and is a medley of many of the themes on the album.

6. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

7. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

8. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

John Martyn
    Beth Orton
    John Butler Trio

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. draganm

draganm Forum Resident Thread Starter

wow, so many suggestions, will take me a while to sample them all, then go hunt for the vinyl. I already have almost all Tom Petty , lots of Stevie Ray , I have George Benson Breezin but haven't peeled the plastic off yet, I have one Van morrison, John Barleycorn must die, I really like it. Tried Coltrane Black Pearls and couldn't stay with it, but I'll look for My Favorite things. I also like the Camel, Lunar Sea. Some of the suggestions are a little too slow for me, or lyrics too sappy (I'm not a romantic at all), can't stand to listen to some guy pining away for some broad. I will go thru the suggestions more closely later and Kozmigroove sounds interesting. As for Classical, I respect it but can't get into it.
    That Chicago song is a great one.
    to quote the great Popeye, I ams what I ams :) . I have some later stuff including a lot of Mark Knopfler's work, but yeah the 70's and 60's were awesome, not into Radiohead but I haven't heard all their stuff.
    still love floyd, but I would say moving towards more purely instrumental with less electronically exaggerated or electronically made music (electric guitar notwithstanding), but the Thomas Dolby is not my cup o tea. One reason is that as your hi-fi gear get's better and better the heavily produced electronica starts to sound worse and worse, it's just really noisy music and not very pleasant to listen to at any exciting volume levels. I mean when I was younger it was " crank it up!", and now I just as quickly turn it down. That music is great on a lower fidelity speakers and maybe even outside versus a typical listening room.

thanks again to all

lightbulb likes this.
  10. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Seems to me that you are in need a Grateful Dead deep dive. Seems to have all the criteria you are looking for and the catalog is extensive.

bzfgt and Olompali like this.
  11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

Steve Hoffman Music Forums edition! :yikes:

12. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Late Talk Talk (Colour of Spring, Spirit of Eden and, especially, Laughing Stock) should be right up your alley.
    As would Gastr del Sol's entire output (most of it issued by Drag City).

131east23 likes this.
  13. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Well, if you're into rock there are all sorts of little gems from people that you might not expect. Here's an instrumental by Ted who never really gets enough due for his guitar playing. But this is sweet...

Popsy likes this.
  14. 131east23

Yes... the Talk Talk albums are a great thing!

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

My All Time Favorite Album(by far), so I concur with your suggestion.

lightbulb likes this.
  16. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

17. 131east23

Terrapin Station!

Olompali likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

You rang?

lightbulb and bzfgt like this.
  19. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Julian Priester's Love Love......

20. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

21. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I'd recommend Tim Buckley's HAPPY SAD album - that will take you somewhere if you're open to it. The music (apart from GYPSY WOMAN, which I leave out) is floating, jazzy, introspective with beautiful lyrics that contemplate relationships. Also, there's WHEN IT FALLS by Zero 7, get that on CD as the vinyl is too expensive. See how you go with these.

22. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Actually, you would probably really like Van Morrison's It's Too Late To Stop Now...get the original release, not the expanded one (too much for an introduction)

23. 131east23

24. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

Going by your own picks I'd suggest...

The Cold Stares- Headbent.... loud bluesy modern rock
    Elder- Reflection of a Floating World....Sabbath playing Yes with Perry Farrell on vocals, it works
    Shaman Elephant- Crystals... Sort of had Deep Purple thought, let's be Yes not just a flat out rock band
    Caspian- Dust and Disquiet...Had Ozzy and co all gone to art school in Germany
    And not forgetting...... Airbag...

Popsy likes this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Since you are seeking something different then try a few Mogwai(Scotland) Albums(Post-Rock) that is instrumental mostly, so not lyrics on too many of their songs. I would start with 'Come on Die Young' & 'Young Team' both from the late 1990s, but they have been putting out albums up until the past year. They also have done a few Movie Soundtrack Albums. If you like this type of music(Post-Rock), then another good Music Artist to check out is 'Explosions in the Sky'(US-Texas). They also contributed a few songs for the Soundtrack to the Movie 'Friday Night Lights'.

If you want something sounding similar to Atmopheric Space-Rock Pink Floyd Era, check out Porcupine Tree albums from the 1990s('Up the Downstairs'-Great Variety of Songs, 'The Sky Moves Sideways'-Very PF Type Space-Rock and the song 'Radioactive Toy' from 'On A Sunday of Life Album). Their album 'Signify' that came next is my favorite, but starts to include other types of music, then more commercial album, 'Stupid Dream' came next. Then PT started to go heavier metal sound with parts of 'Lightbulb Sun', and more so with 'In Absentia' & 'Deadwing'(not my favorite PT albums/type of music, but loved 'Fear of a Blank Planet' that mixed the Harder Rock Sound with some Softer Sounds and brilliant closing song, 'Sleep Together'). Just keep in mind that nothing from their post 2000 albums sound like Pink Floyd, as Steven Wilson moved on from the Atmospheric Space-Rock by then. His Solo Albums, have been more Prog-Rock, which is no surprise as he was Remixing the Catalogs for King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Yes and Gentle Giant(then moved on to Remix Albums for a few 1980s Music Artists-XTC, Tears for Fears, and maybe another Music Artist)

If interested in the Pink Floyd Sound from 'WYWH' & 'Animals', then check out the Airbag(Sweden Band) albums('All Rights Removed', 'Greatest Show on Earth', 'Identity' and 2016 Album 'Disconnected' I only recently bought and have not listened to it yet) and Bjorn Riis(Guitarist with Airbag, who does the Gilmour Guitar Sound really well) 2 Solo Albums('Lullabies in a Car Crash' & 'Forever Comes to an End').

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.