Chaos And Creation vinyl reissue.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Classicrock, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Jenny Wren is a gorgeous piece. That is all. :)

2. probably his best single recording in twenty years. Imho.

3. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Perhaps the best thing to come out of his ill-fated relationship with Heather Mills.

4. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Side 1 is masterful, but Side 2 is a letdown IMO. It would be the equivalent quality of Tug Of War had the second half been stronger. Overall an 8/10 for me.

I'd really want Memory Almost Full on LP more than this, as the CD sounds nice, whereas MAF is just insanely LOUD.

hoggydoggy likes this.
  5. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

My black copy is flawless. Perfect copies are out there. Keep trying guys. Worth it for this late period classic.

Musician95616 and CBS 65780 like this.
  6. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

For some reason, I've noticed that, for the most part, black vinyl tends to have fewer problems with static, non-fill, and general surface noise. This is why I don't really mess with colored or clear vinyl unless black vinyl is not available.

7. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Just bought a black vinyl copy of the reissue. Side A is almost perfect but the last couple of tracks on side B are quite noisy. "Anyway" has a really loud distorted or nonfill moment. Too bad..

8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Do you know where these are being pressed? These are starting to sound like pretty common problems.

9. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Has anyone tried the download yet? If so, is it remastered / remixed? Or is it just a duplication of the original 2005 release?

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I always buy black when given the choice. Also as a courtesy to anyone who might buy my used copy at a later date and wants to get an idea of the record's condition before buying.

11. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

My copy also is a bit too noisy and have several pops and ticks, even after a good clean.
    Yes, with some exceptions.
    Agree, I really like the production and mixing on this one, maybe a little better mastering...
    It seems to be just a duplication, but I am not 100% sure.

12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

The MAF vinyl is not much better. I mean, it is better but not much.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  13. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

:sigh: Definitely a candidate for a remix then...

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I bought the gold version, which is the only vinyl copy I've heard. Mastering is by Alan Yoshida.

MUCH better sound vs. the 2005 CD. The CD was painfully compressed/loud and it pounds like a jackhammer. The LP is softer dynamically and tonally warmer, which better suits the moody, intimate nature of the music. The difference between the CD and LP is not subtle.

As @pantofis observed upthread, the grooves seem to be packed tightly because there is some slight sibilance/grain, particularly on the inner grooves. I would have happily shelled out $50 or $60 for a 2-LP version. But don't let this discourage you from buying it, it's head and shoulders better than the CD.

My LP is free from crackle and pops, but there is some very slight wooshing towards the middle of side one, which is completely obscured by the music. It's not a serious problem.

15. nsm

nsm Forum Resident

Well I gave my black vinyl copy a clean ( it had noise 'pops' & 'clicks' on How Kind Of You & This Never Happened Before ). Well it sorted most of the noises only leaving the 1-2 second 'crunchy' sound on How Kind Of You. Got the clear vinyl copy of Julian Lennon's Everything Changes 2 days later from his website £13 inc P&P it is flawless quality & sounds much better than i thought it would as it's about 57 minutes long....grab a copy if you can...great music & lovely pressing in gatefold & with booklet.

16. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Long shot but did anyone buy the Japanese pressing of this? I'm wondering if it is worth spending the shipping to obtain what may be a flawless piece of wax since the others seem to have lots of issues.

17. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Always thought my original copy was a bit noisy, so I was planning to get the new reissue. I played it today after another cleaning on my VPI 16.5..suddenly it sounded pretty clean. That together with the less than stellar comments on the reissue (noise wise) made me decide to stay with the original and forget the reissue.

18. gss

gss Forum Resident

I put mine through the Spin Clean first, but it’s quiet (maybe one nanosecond of non-fill) otherwise, I’m very happy.

19. Funi

Funi Forum Resident

Yeah, I was referring to the original CD's mastering, it was not clear in my post. Sorry!

20. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Chaos and Creation’s granny song

whisper3978 likes this.
  21. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

I think part of my rage about this song is that THIS was the song he chose to send to space? AND one of the songs he chose to highlight for Pure McCartney? The rest of the album is so good!

22. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

I'm nearly certain that the Japanese copies are simply the stock black vinyl discs with an obi attached.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

ndoheny likes this.
  23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I LOVE "English Tea."
    Great melody.. love the chorus..
    Pure McCartney!
    What's with you guys?

24. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

My gold copy was very noisey. Sent it back to Bull Moose for a replacement. The other three colored reissues were dead quiet though

25. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I'm sipping tea in an English country garden right now. Amazing. Not with my Gran though.

streetlegal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.