Charles Schulz's 'Peanuts' Film to Hit Theaters November 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

So blasphemous. The original Peanuts cartoons were shining examples of what simple animation could express when there's good writing involved. Somehow I don't think the new one is going to do the same for CGI.
    I watched one of the newer animated specials over the holidays and it wasn't good at all. Something about the older Peanuts doesn't translate into the modern style.

Keith V likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'd rather have 3-D CGI than crappy 2-D Flash animation.

Sadly we're never going to get another full-length hand-drawn 2-D Peanuts movie anyway.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Look, a new hand-drawn 2D Peanuts movies was never going to be commercially viable in 2015. Like it or not, that's the reality. I think the 3D, quasi-2D, art style of the new movie looks like a perfect compromise to please both new and old fans.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Agreed! I'm very impressed with how good the characters look in 3-D here.

5. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

The character design is beautiful!

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Here's the full trailer. It certainly looks very promising and I smiled and laughed a lot watching this. :)

7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It actually looks like it could be pretty good.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Is there not enough Vince Guaraldi music in the can? Of course there is, but by using The Who (whom I love) and rap (whom I don't) they get to attract a different audience. I don't like this but Melendez and Co. have not always done justice to the characters either.
    I just hope the final product never deserves the name Disney™ when all is said and done.
    Peanuts had class and an audience, Disney has an audience.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Modern audiences are unfortunately not going to connect with Vince's music, save for "Linus And Lucy".

Keith V likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I dunno, Paul. It looks very weird to me. But I say that about a lot of characters that transition from conventional 2D animation to 3D animation (including Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck).

But I have to admit, the story and voices are pretty good. I got to work with Bill Melendez on four of the original Peanuts specials on CBS in the 1980s, and he regaled me with some interesting stories as to why he wound up doing the sped-up voice of Snoopy (apparently it was a last-minute decision, plus he worked cheap), and how little involved Charles Schulz was with the shows.

duggadugdug likes this.
  11. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

I must say I'm kind of impressed by the character design. That mix of 2d and 3d elements looks promising and fresh. That being said I though the trailer was way to long.

12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I could be wrong here but one of the first features NOT to have Vince's music was "Snoopy Come Home". I saw an interview that they were trying to be more like Disney (not sure if it was Lee or someone else that said this but the music is nothing like Vince and had vocals, much like Disney cartoons of the era). Vidiot may be able to elaborate more. I remember seeing Snoopy Come Home for the first time around 1977 or 78, I must've been in the 2nd grade. I enjoyed it. As an adult I have probably seen it close to 100 times (my kids are ages 22, 13 and 5) over the last 22 years. In fact it is time to pull it out again tonight for the 5 year old.

Keith V likes this.
  13. MikeInFla

[​IMG]

Sad to report, we may not have much of Vince's music... I was hoping the tunes selected for the trailers were for credits but then I read this:

uch are the times we live in. "Peanuts" is coming to the big screen for a whole new generation of kids to fall in love with, and then buy officially licensed products, which means that for old codgers like me, Charlie Brown will never be the same. The hand drawn animation of yore is now replaced with 3D CGI and Vince Guaraldi. 20th Century Fox, what have you done....

While the new trailer for "Peanuts" opens with with pianist's familiar "Linus and Lucy," someone decided that song is now passé. And so the trailer quickly changes to a more contemporary replacement: "What I Like About You" byFlo Rida featuring Fitz. We weep for the youth of today.

Keith V likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Guys, today's kids are not exactly hip to three-piece Jazz trios...

15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

They weren't in 1965 either but it still worked. More timeless than Flow Rhidah or whatever :)

duggadugdug likes this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

There are few greater joys than hearing my twin 8 year old girls spontaneously break into "Me and you a two man crew."
    Sometimes they even get out their Snoopy and Woodstock stuffed animals and wave them in the air while they do it.

MikeInFla and Keith V like this.
  17. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

I think it's preferable to having the characters fade away into obscurity from non-use. My daughters have no idea who Bugs Bunny, etc are, because they have become almost a total non-presence to todays kids. Peanuts at least have the Christmas TV specials each year, but more exposure couldn't hurt. And I dunno about "blasphemy"....we're talking about a franchise that produced "Flashbeagle" :)

duggadugdug and Keith V like this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, but it's safer to use pop/rap music than it is to use traditional Jazz. They don't want to be "timeless" they want to make money. :)

Keith V likes this.
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Gasp! I can't imagine growing up and not knowing who Bugs Bunny is!

Flashbeagle.. ugh.. Thanks for reminding me of that.

20. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Snoopy Come Home features a score by the Sherman Brothers, who also worked on such Disney films as Mary Poppins and The Jungle Book.

Jeez, a decade ago they would have at least known Bugs from Space Jam.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  21. MikeInFla

Well, I am proud to say my kids know the Peanuts gang, Bugs and Daffy, Tom & Jerry and even Droopy. There might be a little hope left for the future generation. I will also say this: If I put this record on my 5 year old can tell you what song this is.

Keith V and guy incognito like this.
  22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Exactly. We're raising a generation of squares, man.

23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

You know, I was pretty much on board until the newest trailer. First of all, why did this trailer need to be three minutes long?? Secondly, I don't see much of a compelling plot there. Lastly, I was hoping that the modern pop music was just for trailers/credits, too, but if that's the score for the actual film, you can count me out for sure.

Vidiot and Keith V like this.
  24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

This looks awful.

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I detected some noxious rap music which contravenes their basic sensibility, as does 'Baba 'OReilly'. How could they miss so badly?

Keith V likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.