Charlie Chan Fox film fest back on!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Sep 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

From Yahoo News.

Fox will now air the Charlie Chan Film Fest with some PC stuff thrown in. Hey, at least we now get to see the movies. Set yer VCRs.

Politically Correct Fox to Air Charlie Chan Films
    Monday September 1 9:14 PM ET

A Charlie Chan film festival that was canceled this summer by Fox Movie Channel after complaints from Asian-American groups will return to the cabler this month with wraparound segments featuring panel discussions on racial insensitivity.

The four restored films -- "Murder Over New York," "Charlie Chan at the Opera," "Castle in the Desert" and "Charlie Chan in Honolulu" -- will begin airing Sept. 13.

Fox decided in June to discontinue its planned 23-film Chan festival after civil rights organizations decried the movies -- released by 20th Century Fox in the 1930s -- for perpetuating stereotypes and casting Caucasian actors in roles intended for Asian-Americans.

But with Fox's license agreement to air the films set to expire at month's end, the network decided to bring back four titles, along with discussions featuring experts including actor Harry Shen and Peter Feng, professor of Asian-American studies and film at the University of Delaware. "Star Trek" actor George Takei will moderate the panel.

"We believe that the introductory piece and follow-up discussion will help promote understanding of the issues many Asian-Americans have with these films," said Karen Narasaki, president and executive director of the National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Steve's earlier thread on this topic.

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

Finally, some sense!

3. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Great news! Let 'em throw a short disclaimer on after every commercial break, if they must, but let those of us who want to see the movies see them.

4. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

This is a step in the right direction but I still think some people are just waaaaay to sensitive!

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Now, if someone would have enough balls to put 'em out on DVD. After all they put out Mr. Wong

6. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Doesnt VCI entertainment have some of these Chan movies available on DVD?

Otherwise, excellent news.

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Not as far as I can see on their website.

8. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Miike, let us know if anything about this changes. I've not seen these in a long time. Thanks for the thread, I would 've missed it altogether.

9. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Here's a fun Chan website where I usually get my info.
    Charlie Chan

10. Chris R

Just a reminder to get in front of the TV on Saturday or set your VCRs. The festival starts on September 13. :)

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

How convenient for me. This Friday I am getting Direct TV + Tivo installed and will for the first time have access to the Fox Movie Channel. :thumbsup:

Regards,

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

The funny thing is, I probably wouldn't even have been interested in the Chan film festival were it not for the controversy. I've seen some of them before and they really aren't that great - kind of a "you've seen one you've seen 'em all" thing.

Now, though, I'm interested in seeing them out of fear that I won't get another chance...

13. Chris R

Damn! :( Guess I won't be setting my VCR. We don't receive the Fox Movie Channel in Canada.

Ken, when you said Fox Movie Channel I went back and re-read the story I posted. I must have missed that important bit of info first time around. I thought these movies were going to air on the regular FOX TV network.

Are these Charlie Chan films on DVD? Can I rent them instead?

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I believe they are all in-print on VHS except for "Charlie Chan in Honolulu", but there are no DVDs.

Regards,

15. Chris R

Thanks Ken. There is still one video/DVD rental store in Calgary, a ma and pa store, Video And Sound that kept a lot of videos that they know are not on DVD, for rent. I might be able to find the Chan movies there.

The Blockbusters and Rogers Videos of the world, just blew out their video sections to make room for more DVD rentals a year or so ago. Too bad they also didn't look carefully at what films they had on video and kept aside titles that are not currently on DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.