Charlie Rich RCA/Groove sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zarkon33, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

melstapler and arob71 like this.
  3. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I pre-ordered through Amazon and got Motorhead as my AutoRip. Listened to a little bit of it. Not really my bag. I do like "Ace of Spades," though.

John Porcellino likes this.
  4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Still showing rekease date as 15th Dec on the Ace site which is where I ordered it.

5. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

Looks like the majority of the sites I've checked are saying Friday, Jan. 26 is the big day.

6. The Killer

It's here!

7. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Should Charlie Rich be in the Rock and Roll HoF?

8. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Amazon still has it listed with Motorhead as the artist! (And "temporarily out of stock.") Import CDs shows it as backordered (for $11.99!). Is the Jan 26 date for the UK, with it showing up stateside sometime later?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I am more than a little worried about getting a Motorhead CD if I order this from Amazon.

10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Truer words have never been said about the unbelievable talent and versatility of Charlie Rich. He not only should easily qualify for the Rock & Roll Hall, but the Country Music Hall Of Fame as well, but of course that last one will probably not happen due to the over reaction of the infamous John Denver burning of the envelope incident at the CMA Awards. His talent easily rivaled both Elvis Presley and Ray Charles. Robert Hilburn, the famous L. A. Times critic, said that Rich had a rhythm and blues voice that could only be matched by Ray Charles or Elvis Presley. Just a phenomenally overlooked and underrated artist!

Pelvis Ressley, Shawn, 911s55 and 4 others like this.
  11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Charlie was almost TOO talented: the labels didn’t know what to do with him. If you can do it all, what direction do they go in?

12. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

Your comment made me think of this.

RSteven, jwoverho and bibijeebies like this.
  13. The Killer

Gave disc 1 a blast today, to my lugs the sound is great, a real treat, there's a collection of really good songs giving Charlie a first class work out, on some up beat stuff he almost out Elvis's Elvis, lovely small jazz combo version of Under My Skin, he makes the vocal sound so easy you'd think you could do it yourself and the piano work is sublime. This is just a regular single cut not the remastered Ace version but you get the idea.

So far well worth the wait, brilliant CD set.

14. bibijeebies

You are right about Charlie's vocal and the piano, however without the Anita Kerr Singers (?) it would have been better still.

15. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Charlie was at his best when he was doing country blues not the popish stuff record execs wanted. Hell they didn't even want him to play piano on many of his own songs because of his dissonant chord choices, they preferred the homogenized Floyd Cramer style.

16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It’s been brought up many times here, but his last album, Pictures and Paintings is essential.

17. Greg Arkadin

Greg Arkadin Forum Resident

Peter Guralnick and Greil Marcus pointed me to Charlie Rich and I've been listening since. The Smash recordings remain my favorite, followed by the Big Boss Man/Set Me Free/Fabulous Charlie Rich albums. My favorite individual performance is his demo for Feel Like Going Home.

It doesn't appear this collection is quite available in the U.S. yet, and I'll eagerly grab it as soon as I can. This era includes some great work but isn't as consistent as the Smash material.

18. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You are so spot on about Charlie and Elvis, I believe they were almost kindred musical spirits as neither artist really liked music labels. When an interviewer asked Elvis at a press conference if he considered himself a country singer, I believe his reply was that "I love country music, the Grand Ole Opry was probably the first music I ever heard, but I would hate to say just country." I believe that Rich too hated to be limited to just country music although he was brilliant in that field as well. Like Elvis, his forte was blurring the lines of country, blues and soul with an additional hint of jazz in Rich's case. If you listen to Rich's version of I Washed My Hands in Muddy Waters from the Smash era in the 60's there is no question that version influenced Elvis's great version in 1970. Of course, we all know Elvis was playing along to Rich's 45 with the bass guitar when he met the Beatles in the 60's. There is no doubt that Elvis influenced Rich at Sun when the Silver Fox cut the great Lonely Weekends. Many people at the time thought that was an Elvis record because they sounded so much alike.

The Killer likes this.
  19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Indeed, Peter Guralnick has two great chapters on Rich in his books Lost Highways and Feel Like Going Home, which I believe was the book that inspired the song or vice versa. Those early Epic albums are fantastic as well. I love the Smash, Groove and early Epic albums almost equally, but man I can hardly wait to get these great Bill Porter engineered sides in their remastered glory by Ace Records. Amazon has not updated anything as of now about their U.S. release date.

20. bibijeebies

Let's not forget gospel!

RSteven likes this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh gosh, I wholeheartedly agree. His Silver Linings album is one of the greatest gospel albums ever with the great pianist, Hargus "Pig" Robbins, doing his best imitation of Charlie Rich on the piano I do believe. In fact, when recording Rich's masterpiece breakthrough album, Behind Closed Doors, Robbins said he was extremely nervous to have Rich standing so closely beside him in the vocal booth area as he knew Rich was such a terrific piano player himself. Of course, Hargus is blind, but nevertheless he felt and heard Rich's presence during the sessions as told by engineer Lou Bradley. Charlie's great gospel album is every bit the equal to Elvis's Grammy winning performances as well. In fact, Silver Linings was a Grammy nominated album in 1976.

The Killer and bibijeebies like this.
  22. GodBlessTinyTim

Finally got the complete RCA set last week. Stupendous. I like their observation that Rich both looked and sounded like he could be Elvis' older brother. Also interesting how the collection is sequenced, with the country stuff on the second disc and everything else on the first.

RSteven and The Killer like this.
  23. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

I have most of these recordings spread out over several CDs and have adored these for years. I love the kettle drum on "Turn Around And Face Me."

Now all that's needed is someone to compile Charlie's complete late-period United Artists recordings, which have never seen the light of day. Feel fortunate to have two of the three LPs he made for that label. They're solid records and Rich is in good form, even if the material is a bit lacking.

McLover, alylemoss and art like this.
  24. GodBlessTinyTim

So what still needs to make the jump to CD? What I know of:

I Still Believe in Love (UA, 1976)
    The Fool Strikes Again (UA, 1978)
    Nobody But You (UA, 1979)
    Once a Drifter (Elektra, 1980)
    "As Time Goes By" b/w "Try a Little Tenderness" (Single with The Ray Conniff Singers, Columbia, 1982)

I'm not sure if there's any Epic material not included on the twofer CDs.

John Porcellino and art like this.
  25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, that Kettle drum always makes me smile after I hear it. How about Rich's great falsetto at the ending of No Room To Dance? I remember listening to that over and over again when it was released on the There Won't Be Anymore album back when I was a teenager. What range and beauty that the Silver Fox could demonstrate just in one song!

Yes, it would be great if we could get some of those Liberty albums released on CD some day. I love his version of You're Gonna Love Yourself In The Morning. A really fine song that Roy Clark originally made that Charlie took and made his own on the Nobody But Me album. I love Hargus "Pig" Robbins great piano on that song and of course he was the one playing the ivories on his signature version of Behind Closed Doors. You could tell that Hargus would always try to play in a manner that was similar to Rich, but clearly they were not the same. I love them both, but Rich was just an amazing and versatile piano player. He was the artist that had to show Jerry Lee Lewis how to play some difficult chords he was struggling with back in the Sun days when they were both with that label at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.