Cheap DAC wanted

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Apr 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

I have CD player and it sounds poor using the RCA audio out jacks. I have digital coaxial & optical outputs. I want a DAC with standard RCA jacks to connect to my tube amp. My TT is my high quality choice of playback, but do want a better sounding CD player sound. Right now my tube FM tuner is far superior to the CD player sound.

What is an inexpensive DAC I can use. I see these as low as $15 new on ebay. But, suspect a $15 DAC is not good sounding either.

2. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

The Revealer likes this.
  3. allied333

Sounds good. I will buy the Fiio. I do not need ultra high quality sound, just better than the Teac analog out delivers. My TT provides high quality audio & is my main listening source. Thanks for recommendation.

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have that Fiio DAC. It doesn't sound better then any TEAC product ever made.

5. allied333

If this DAC does not make the TEAC sound better, I will sell the Teac. I will report back.

6. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

As mostly a vinyl guy, I get what you're going for, but I have to say that I seriously doubt that a $20 DAC would be an improvement over the internal DAC in your TEAC. Extra cables notwithstanding.

If the TEAC isn't doing it, I would change the CD player before messing around with a low cost DAC. Lots of low cost choices in CD players out there that sound mighty fine, particularly if you're willing to go used.

chili555 likes this.
  7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yep I have that one too. Amazing bit of kit. For the cost its worth a go. Can always hook it up to something else...

8. allied333

I do not want someone's used 'possible problem' deck. So, it has to be new. The new multi disc field does not look so good though.

9. 500Homeruns

If he buys it from Amazon, he can try it out. If it's not what he is looking for, send it back

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

This feels backwards to me. So if the TEAC is the superior product, you'll sell the TEAC and keep the inferior product?

rodentdog likes this.
  11. 500Homeruns

My guess is he won't keep either. He will move on to something that will make him happy. But I do not want to speak for the OP.

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That he can, but I still can't understand why anybody would claim a $20 DAC with a USB power supply is better then a Teac CD player. Is it newer = better, or the "external DACs are always better then internal DACs" theory?

Note I'm not suggesting the Fiio "sucks" or there is anything wrong with the Teac. It's just a matter of if there would be any differences to warrant more cables and complexity.

thxphotog likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So you're suggesting he buy something you don't think he'll keep? Isn't that....

Actually, nevermind. On to the next thread. :)

Dennis0675 and Seafinch like this.
  14. allied333

How about Schitt Modi 2?

15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You could look for something like an old used CAL Alpha tube-output DAC. These are thoroughly obsolete now and so I bet that they sell cheap today, since they can only fully-decode 16 bit PCM up to 48kHz. But they sound wonderful on redbook!

16. allied333

The Cal Alpha shows up about once a month on ebay for $400.

17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Yikes! It was a great DAC in its day, but it sure shouldn't be worth anywhere near that in today's market! I know that there are some brand-new sub-$200 DACs today which will embarrass it.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Your budget is your business but you need $500 to do very much at all. Otherwise, stick with the CD player.

I know you said lp’s are the priority but after reading your posts over the month or so it seems you have gone to considerable efforts and spent a great deal of time to have nice sounding equipment.

I mean why stress out about Russian caps, rca black plates or 12au7’s just to run the cheapest DAC you can get away with? Get $500 bucks to spend or just sit tight.

superstar19 and rodentdog like this.
  19. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

A used DAC can be a bargain, given how fast they lose resale value. Benchmark, PS Audio, Musical Fidelity, and Music Hall come to mind. Relatively recent models that are good at their respective price points.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  20. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident

The OP implied he is using a multidisc CD player - unless the quality of it is better than the several I have used over the years (certainly non-audiophile), even an entry level DAC from Schiit should be a marked improvement...

basie-fan, Benzion and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. allied333

Not stressing out. CD player is for my GF listening, not so much for me. However, why not try to get better sound out of the CD player. I am willing to spend $100, but not $500. If I wanted a quality CD player, an Oppo or better is what I would have bought.

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Yes, but as a man that’s interested in sound quality, a decent DAC is a revelation and well worth the cost.

23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is a very fair point.

24. allied333

The stock TEAC DAC may be great, but the audio thru the internal op-amps & coupling capacitors may be poor. So, an outboard DAC can make a difference. We will have fun finding out in a few days.

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.