Cheap source for turntable belts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by -=Rudy=-, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

One of my old turntables has a belt that is hard to find. I've found a listing for it at two sites. One wants $27.50; another wants $24.95. For a stinkin' belt? :shake: C'mon, what a joke. I used to sell industrial belts that were much larger and a lot more complex than this for the same amount of money. There has to be an incredible markup on these things. The name on the belts I found online was Elex Atelier.

My point is: does anyone know of good, reliable dealers who might carry a belt I need at a price that isn't Gouge City™? It's for a turntable that probably hasn't been sold in 15-20 years, very obscure (and not very well made). I'm thinking of either trying it one last time, or dumping it on eBay. Needs a belt though.

2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

3. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

4. -=Rudy=-

At least he's honest. :) $6.50/belt is certainly a lot more reasonable. I'm betting these guys all pay about $2-$3/belt. I'll e-mail and see if he's got a cross-ref for my 'table.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Heh. Rega belts are kinda pricey. Kinda discouraging for a rubber band, huh? :)

6. -=Rudy=-

Heh, no kidding. You're not far off--it's just a precise rubber band. Flat belts like that are dirt cheap to manufacture, regardless of material. They're basically made from one giant sleeve of rubber (or other material), split by precision cutters. Some materials are a bit more than others, but it's not outrageously different. I'm sure these manufacturers and replacement parts dealers want you to think these are expensive belts made out of exotic materials, but they're not. Stuff like nitrile, viton, silicone, PTFE (teflon), urethane, etc. varies in price but none of these are exotic. The only thing that might get pricey is if someone has to custom order a non-standard size from a manufacturer. But still...if one guy can do it for $6.50 and another charges $24.95, and buys from the same source, you can tell who's padding their retirement fund. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.