Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight, their best album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thievius, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

It's definitely my favorite CT album.

2. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I love Heaven Tonight, but In Color it their masterpiece.

Zoot Marimba, sbeaupre and lightbulb like this.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Next Position Please is my favorite. I have to have I Can't Take It.

4. For fans of the first album, I always recommend All Shook Up. CT at their most unhinged and experimental in the studio since the debut

5. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

2nd behind In Color.

GeorgeDJungle likes this.
  6. readr

readr Forum Resident

I won't disagree.....but my favorites are Cheap Trick ('77) and Next Position Please.

Tuco likes this.
  7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

You can argue about the type of production and recording, but in terms of song quality and quality of performance the first 3 records are all perfect. I don't know of any other band I can say caught perfection three time in a row.

If I HAD to pick one, yes, I'd probably go with "Heaven Tonight," probably because of the title track - there just isn't a song like it on any of their previous records. Not sure they ever did one quite like it again.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  8. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Yep...check out CT's live performance of "I Can't Take It" on the Alan Thicke Show, c. 1983. It doesn't get much better than that, folks!

Holy Diver likes this.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I've seen that. :righton:

10. Good call and great avatar!

11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I own the Vic Anesini remaster with the orange Epic lp cd face. Sounds nice. How much of the album was recorded st Sound City?

Thievius likes this.
  12. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Another vote for In Color.

13. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Same here. In Color was my first so it is still my favorite. And I LIKE the production just fine.

The first three are pretty much essential and very difficult to even attempt to choose one over the other IMO.

Three different but still equally magnificent beasts ...

14. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I agree; All Shook Up is way underrated imo, love it.
    Zander's vocals on "World's Greatest Lover" gives me chills
    What a band

15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist Thread Starter

I don't know the answer to your question but I have the same version and agee it sounds pretty good.

16. recap200

recap200 Forum Resident

Tough question, rhetorical question… it's impossible to choose one "best" CT studio album. And CT have created so many great songs too.

In my opinion, "CT 1977," "In Color," "Heaven Tonight," "Dream Police," and "At Budokan" are their best albums—and, their essential albums. "All Shook Up," "Next Position Please," and "CT 1997" are next in line.

Sidebar: I kinda miss the warmth and tone of CT's early recordings. Interestingly, I recently listened to Eric Clapton's recent album "I Still Do." "I Still Do" was recorded—and mastered—analogue, I believe. Wow! Nice job, Mr. Glyn Johns, Mr. Bob Ludwig, and Mr. Bernie Grundman.

Bananas&blow and driverdrummer like this.
  17. Here are my favorite Cheap Trick albums listed in order...

Heaven Tonight

Dream Police

In Color (Steve Albini version)

Cheap Trick

One On One

Not sure if 'At Budokan' counts, but if it does, then I would put it between 'Dream Police', and 'In Color (Steve Albini version)'

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

In Color has better tunes overall, but Heaven Tonight is probably the best studio representation of Cheap Trick as a band.

driverdrummer and Tim S like this.
  19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

As much as they dissed Tom Werman in later years, he gave them their best albums IMO (other than the debut). And people often complain about the production of In Color....I never had a problem with it. I thought it was great....the louder the better! They kinda lost the magic after parting ways with him.

20. zen

zen Senior Member

Who knows. I have a soft spot for Busted. :nyah:

noirbar likes this.
  21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

My issue is that one album has Mandocello, the next has Downed and the next Heaven Tonight. If all three were on one album then the world might have spontaneously combusted.

22. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Slightly off topic but I am still shocked that "Such A Good Girl" from "Found All The Parts" never found a home on one of their full length albums instead of kind of hanging in obscurity.

Wasn't that actually from an aborted album that was to be released inbetween "Dream Police" and "All Shook Up"?...now that could have been a great record if there is more where that came from.

23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Thanks, huge John Candy fan. Even today, I still miss the big man:

[​IMG]

linclink likes this.
  24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

stoneknuckle likes this.
  25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They really should have put it on All Shook Up. It needed it badly. I could have gone my lifetime without hearing Who D' King and never missed it.

stoneknuckle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.