Cheap Trick

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jgrig0, Jun 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member Thread Starter

Another totally disappointing Greatest Hits CD that sounds like crap is the Authorised Greatest Hits by Cheap Trick! Vic Anesini is one of my favourite engineers and I trust his name, but this one takes the cake! I can't believe that Legacy put this out. I would have been emarrassed. Then again, some say that the tape used in the 70s is to blame so who knows?

2. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I Agree, All the Cheap Trick stuff that I have heard anyway that has been put out on CD sounds very thin and EQ'd too much. The onnly release that I have that sound pretty good is the MFSL Gold of Budakon. That one sound pretty good but not fantastic as some of the MFSL releases do in my opinion. Someday hopefully someone will do them up right, I am waiting.

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Is live at Budokan bad as well?

4. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I guess I'm at a loss. I thought this set sounded OK for a current day cd release.

Best I've heard is my old Epic vinyl, which includes a white label promo of "All Shook Up." (As you may know, sometimes the promo vinyl received a bit more care than the stock vinyl. Unfortunately, there's only about four good songs on "All Shook Up"!) "Stop This Game" on vinyl really adjusts your attitude on vinyl, it rocks.

Unfortunately, the only vinyl I have of "Everything Works" (my fav Trick song) is the old 45 r.p.m., I haven't compared that to the Anesini hits cd, but I'm interested in doing so now.

So what's the story on the tapes from the '70's you mentioned?

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I thought the individual remastered CDs just sounded uninteresting. They don't excite me in any way. Too bad since I love the albums so much.

I've been collecting the vinyl. A lot of it doesn't sound that good either. The first record is splatty (you know what I mean) and there's not a lot of top end. Very disappointing.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Well hopefully the Essential Cheap Trick that's coming out will sound good.

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Maybe someone like Steve (through S&P) could work on some of the Cheap Trick CD's that are out of print. They command a lot of $$$ on eBay.

8. Essential Cheap Trick

Has anybody seen a track listing for this and/or production info?

9. cdice

cdice New Member

Found (most) All the Parts

I just got an email from Jon thru the Cheap Trick Home Page. It seems that "Found all the Parts" is only being released as a 4-track CD in Japan, and it definately doesn't include the bonus single which came with the original vinyl, "Everything Works". I asked Jon why and he said that the band had no control over their material with Sony, and that Sony could do whatever they wanted with it. What a shame.

10. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

cdice, don't you mean ain't that a shame? ;)

Cat

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Which CD's are OOP aside from Found All The Parts?

12. BitShifter

BitShifter New Member

"Standing On The Edge" and "The Doctor" are OOP. I've noticed that some others are about to be deleted from the catalog as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.