Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete - Vinylbox coming in December

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by solstice69, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Maybe tomorrow:agree: i i‘ll get my boxset!

2. imarcq likes this.
  3. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I have this new box. I can confirm that the mastering credits on both the Morph the Cat sleeve and in it's run-out grooves are indeed KG+SH@ATM (Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at AcousTech mastering) :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  4. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Credits and deadwax on original "Sunken Condos" said Scott Hull at Masterdisk. Is it the same in the box?

If so, then it looks like everything except for Kamakiriad and the Extras disc are the same as the currently issued separates. I doubt the extras will be released separately, but hopefully Kama will be and I can pick that up on its own.

(I was going to get the box at Amazon.ca's pre-order price of $105, about $80 USD, but the price jumped as I was putting it into the cart, so I bailed. I don't expect the Extras would get much play, anyway, and I have many of the tracks on CD, so I think I'm okay to skip it.)

5. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Is Morph still bass heavy?

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Really? In my box only the extra disc and "Sunken Condos" came in polyliners. The rest had printed inners. EU pressing.

7. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Same with mine... only Sunken Condos and the extra disc had the polyliners.

8. Neonbeam

Just like "Morph", the boxed "Sunken Condos" has the same deadwax as the standalone release. Main difference: It's black.

The quality of the sleeves is very good, the ones I already have originals for are looking almost identical in the box. Not the usual blurry scan ******** so many reissues now have. Very solid quality throughout:edthumbs:

9. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Morph on DVD-AUDIO in multichannel is reference. I absolutely love that gooey bass!

bluejimbop and Bill Mac like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Glad I saw this post. I'm playing the Morph the Cat DVD-A and it sounds excellent as that gooey bass oozes out of my subs ;)! I have the Cheap Xmas vinyl set but have yet to crack it open. I better get on that.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  11. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I've finally listened to this entire box set. Beautifully done! Standard-weight vinyl that sounds absolutely fantastic - clean pressings and amazing sound quality all-around. The Nightfly sounds almost as good as the MFSL One-Step pressing that cost almost as much as this entire box set all by itself (and is selling for at least 2x that now that it's out of print). All of the other records - even the "Extras" disc - has the pristine sound quality you'd expect from a Donald Fagen release. It's really great that they didn't cheap out on the pressings - Morph The Cat spreads its 52 minute runtime over 4 luxurious sides, and Sunken Condos is 44 minutes spread over 3 sides...really gives the music room to breathe, and it all sounds fantastic.

This box is a bargain, and a must-have.

Bobsblkwax, e.s., frogfog and 2 others like this.
  12. Hymie the Robot

The magic of two channel analog never beats a perfectly mixed multichannel disc. Near field analog is fun here and there however.

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

Finished this set after two days: Fantastic! Do we know what will happen next? Will there be a black standalone release of "Sunken Condos"? Will "Kamakiriad" see an individual release? Contemplating what to do with the fact that I know have two identically mastered editions of "Morph" and "Sunken Condos". You don't sell first pressings. Especially when one has a gatefold. But simply sell the new ones and put my originals into the box? Is that a good idea? Hmmmmm........ .

14. ThomasL

ThomasL Forum Resident

Can comment on the sound on Nightfly and Kamakariad compared to the original lps?

15. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Just did an A-B of "The Nightfly" of the original LP to the box set.

Giving the edge to the box set. To my ears and on my system, the sound breathes better. Soundstage is wider. Really nice.

Chemguy and ThomasL like this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

Cool. Send me the original! :)

Musician95616 likes this.
  17. Musician95616

Ha! Sorry. I turned around and already sold it. : )

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  18. Hymie the Robot

First fifty listens was that vinyl version, last fifty was DVD-Audio multichannel. Great album for sure.

Bill Mac and Musician95616 like this.
  19. ThomasL

ThomasL Forum Resident

Had chance to play the new Nightfly and Kamakiriad against my originals yesterday. The new ones sound more pleasant overall but don't quite have the dynamic of the originals imo

Chemguy likes this.
  20. Musician95616

I never had "Kamakiriad" on vinyl, so I can't compare, but I thought that the new version of "The Nightfly" was more spacious and expansive in its soundstage. To my ears, the overall sound was livelier, had more punch, and breathed more in my A-B comparison with the original first pressing.

ThomasL likes this.
  21. ThomasL

ThomasL Forum Resident

Although the Morph is the only one of them I don't have on vinyl (and the extras of course) I will probably end up buying the box ;-) What I heard sounded good!

Musician95616 likes this.
  22. Musician95616

The mastering on Morph The Cat is my favorite one of the set. Some people have thought that it was a little bass heavy, but that's kindof what I like about it. : )

ThomasL likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

The mastering on "Morph" is exactly the same as on the original pressing. This is why I sold the box version and put the original in there.

24. Musician95616

Never had it on vinyl before, so this is the first time I've heard "Morph" on LP. It's my favorite of the set.

25. Neonbeam

It was done by one Steve Hoffman. With a little help by a certain Kevin Gray.

It's fantastic.

audiofool likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.