Cheapie audio equipment you love as much as the more expensive stuff

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

------------------------------
    Very nice work. I still have my original Large Advents and my original AR-58's the last rendition of the famed AR-3a. Both are over 30+ years old ans still sound great.

action pact likes this.
  2. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Sony PS1 (the original model with the phono sockets). Rather surprisingly it didn't sound a gadzillion miles away from the Naim CDI I was using at the time, to be perfectly honest. Same rhythmic 'flow' and lack of any digital 'edge'. Very very involving.

I will now go get my coat...... ;)

Brother_Rael likes this.
  3. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Extremely impressed with my Yamaha A-s501 integrated.

Won't be replacing my McIntosh MA6600 anytime soon, however at it's respective price point the Yamaha is no slouch.

4. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

When I got married my wife had one of those department store component systems made by Technics. Big speakers, amp, tuner, etc. I think all the components together weigh like 11 lbs. But, I installed it all in my garage and for a garage system it rocks. I'm often out there fiddling with something and have music on and have spent more time listening to this system than any rig I've had in my home.

5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Your speakers look fantastic, enjoy them well!

I have my CSW Model Six speakers seated on book shelves with 1/4" vinyl bumpers as stands. The shelving units are comprised of 1/2" particle board with veneer, so aren't necessarily ideal for the speakers, but it's the only place they can be in the room. The Ensemble woofers really do a pretty good job of rounding out the sound. When I used a Pioneer SX-850 as my amp I used to have to boost the bass way up to get the right sound in the room with the Model Six. Since switching to a Luxman L-85v integrated amp I don't have to fuss quite so much, the Luxman has several tone EQ adjustments available besides the bass and treble dials. One of these days I'll pick up a powered sub and see how that compares to the current set up.

action pact likes this.
  6. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I love my Parasound Halo separates.

7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Gave a friend, who had been burgled, a system in the early 80s. Thorons TD160, Pioneer SX737 and Goodmans's Magnum speakers. A system I held in my heart.
    I returned many years later he was still using it, except for the cartridge, and had some great nights listening to music but no way could it compere to what I was enjoying at that time, never mind now.
    All the fun I remembered was still there, but none of the subtlety, the vague things that make upgrading special.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The Raspberry Pi with the Audiophonics ESS DAC. One owner (writing in this month's HiFi World) reckons it betters his Marantz NA7004 & Peachtree DAC combo.

Not bad going if that's the case.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  9. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Original NAD 3020. $60
    ADS L420 $30

Both from a pawn shop

1st gen HRT streamer. $60. from CL

$150 total

I also have. NAD 7120 receiver purchased for $20 and a NAD 7060 receiver purchased for $30 I can use and bring the total cost to $110-$120.

Computer as source.

Buanadha, notesofachord and Bhob like this.
  10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

My 1984 Hitachi mini-component system, 15 watts. It sounded simply 'OUTRAGEOUS' - Lifelike, Live and Alive. Just Real, true to life sound.
    Still have the speakers. The unit was amazing.
    * They sure don't make them like that anymore... *

And my... 1985 JVC boombox. LOVE the sound.

But... the cd player finally crashed out Hard last year. :sigh:
    Radio still sounds fine. I use it now for my garage radio now. One Great sounding radio! :agree:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    Halloween_Jack and Bhob like this.
  11. douga

douga Forum Resident

A Muse Audio TDA1543x4 DIR9001 NOS dac. Cost about $50. It has some shortcomings, but it makes the music live more than some dacs 20 times its cost.

12. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I work where there is a professional sound room and lots and lots of great gear. I'm happy with what I have at home and really don't covet the high dollar stuff at the shop, but if I personally was in the market today I'd take a $1400 pair of magnapans and a good musical sub over most anything else at 4 or 5 times the cost. They really sound good.

13. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

Sony 715 CD player which you can buy second hand for about $100.
    A freakishly good sounding CD player from 1995.
    Incredibly clear and open sounding with very 3D soundstage.
    I have owned most of the Sony ES players and humble 715 trounces them .

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

In action:

[​IMG]

Bhob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.