Check out the new Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Gupton, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Woke up at 4:45am this morning for some reason. Guess I felt a disturbance in The Force.

Checked my email to find photos of the new turntable I had Artisan Fidelity build had literally just been sent to my Inbox. Been dying of anticipation, so needless to say I'm probably not falling back asleep.

Can't wait to see it in person!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kristofa, Ash76, BlackPearl and 36 others like this.
  2. finn

finn Forum Resident

Bocote has such a fantastic figure and colour contrast. Very nice.

3. Brian Gupton

It's actually a wood called Kingswood. Here's what the raw wood looked like. I thought the table was going to be a lot more gold than it turned out, like inverting the ratio of gold to brown in the finished table. Oh well. Still looks fantastic.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Gorgeous!!

5. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Brian

Looks great -- glad to hear of progress in this, I have had an order in with them for 12 weeks now and am yet to hear of any progress....guess they are busy. Keep us posted on what happens from here.
    Enjoy.

Patrick

Brian Gupton likes this.
  6. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Lucky you

Brian Gupton likes this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

8. Brian Gupton

timind likes this.
  9. james

james Summon The Queen

Hot damn, it's perfect

Brian Gupton likes this.
  10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Very beautiful turntable. I wonder how it sounds.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

You are going to have to make room for that, it is big! Ikeda arm, and what other- ? You kept your Blue lace, what other cart are you setting up?
    I assume you selected copper over another metal for the platter- what was the consideration?
    It looks killer Brian, but the real test will be-- how it looks in your room! :)
    Congrats. You'll get it this coming week, right? Pretty, no very, exciting, look forward to a report and more pics, in situ!

Brian Gupton likes this.
  12. Brian Gupton

Me too! :)

LeeS likes this.
  13. Brian Gupton

The other arm is a Schroeder CB-1. Second arm will likely have the 0.7 Miyajima Zero mono cartridge.

That said, the Ikeda arm comes with a second headshell. I may use that for the Zero and then put a second stereo cart on the Schroeder CB-1. Thinking of picking up a used Air Tight PC-1 Supreme or an EMT JSD6 Gold. I know the EMT will mate incredibly well with my SUT (it's pretty much designed for EMT carts). Not sure on the Air Tight since it has an incredibly low output.

You have the PC-1 Supreme, right?

You know if my A23 Hommage SUT will be a good match for it?

14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Dunno enough about the A23, the impedance on the Airtight is very low I have mine loaded at around 80 ohms or so (with variable loading, I can compare the settings and that was the sweet spot, sonically and mathematically). You might talk with Syntax and David Karmeli, who both have large collections of new and vintage cartridges. There was one retro cartridge in the back of my mind, something that folks like to use the FR and Ikeda for, but I'm not remembering right now. The buzz is all about that recreation of the old Neumann cartridge, but I'm not adventurous enough to buy something that is that "out there." There's some who like the Ortofon (Anna? A 95?), and the newest model is actually cheaper than the predecessors. That's the one thing that sucks about high-end cartridges- so costly to experiment.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  15. Brian Gupton

That's why I like to buy used. :) The Ikeda and CB-1 were actually demo units, so saved quite a bit there.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

That looks great Brian!:cool::righton:

Brian Gupton likes this.
  17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Too shiny ;)

Is that top sandwich piece made of copper? If it is then what is the benefit of it being copper?

18. Brian Gupton

It is copper. From their website:

By employing a modular platter architecture, the user may contour the playback characteristics of the Garrard 301 Statement to a degree as each upper material selection will allow for a slightly different presentation. Material selections available: Copper alloy, Magnesium, 7075 Aluminum, Inox Stainless Steel. Please consult me directly for an explanation of unique playback differences between the various alloy selections.
    It's been a long time since I ordered, so I don't remember what he felt the characteristics of this choice were, but whatever they were was why I chose to go with the copper.

19. Brian Gupton

Thanks. I could be wrong, but I believe I'm the first customer to get his newly developed "modular inverted precision bearing and platter based architecture" as well as the upgraded chassis milled from a solid block of aluminum.

There's also an external power supply regulator that I had him veneer with the same wood. Haven't seen the final pic of that yet, but here's the pre-stained wrapped piece. I also had him veneer a little accessory box to keep my various analog accessories.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kkfan and Mad shadows like this.
  20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

My bet is, your turntable will become an Internet phenom, photos of it will go viral, and it will become famous!
    :)

SandAndGlass and Mad shadows like this.
  21. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats! Can't wait to hear of your impressions of sound.

22. Brian Gupton

Ha! I doubt that, but I must say that it may be the most beautiful table I've ever seen even if not exactly what I was after. I ended up finding a veneer example today which was EXACTLY what was in my head that you and I discussed awhile back. If I ever decide to get a second table, I'll have a better example to work toward for AF. For now I'm just really excited to see and hear it in person finally. :)

23. blakep

blakep Senior Member

It is stunning. A real work of art.

Brian Gupton likes this.
  24. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Wow...just wow!

Brian Gupton likes this.
  25. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Wow again Brian. Congrats!

Brian Gupton likes this.