Cher Album By Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

The photos were used twice because Cher was pregnant with Elijah Blue when she recorded the IRBIY album.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The photos were not used twice. The photo session was utilized more than once.

3. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

To me this is THE most beautiful Cher picture ever. Not sexy or glamorous but indcredibly feminine and just insanely beautiful.

[​IMG]

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

She looks like shes rolling a joint.......

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

And it's also why Cher sings in a rather restrained voice on I'd Rather Believe in You. Which is a fantastic record from start to finish.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I believe Cher agrees with you, and loves the pictures from this entire shoot.

7. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

Stars is really some of her best work. It's an album I can easily listen to without skipping any songs. She owns the rights to the four WBR albums and has yet to give them up to us in any reissue.

8. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Are the early albums available in mono on CD? I have a twofer of the first two albums from the UK, but they are all stereo.

9. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I'd Rather Believe In You came out in September 1976 and Cherished in August 1977.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

It's so crazy that they re-teamed her with Snuff Garrett for Cherished. That's how desperate they were for her to have hit singles after there were also none on Stars and I'd Rather Believe In You. It was never gonna happen. The whole country HATED her after the divorce from Sonny.

Three months later she's a gal in trouble....err, I mean three months later Allman & Woman was released. :crazy:

ibekeen and pghmusiclover like this.
  11. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

IMO, some of her best singing was done while she was pregnant, including this great TV solo.

ibekeen, pghmusiclover and D-rock like this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I thought I was aware of all of Cher's album output. I've never even heard of those last two albums! Obviously Warner's did a horrible job promoting them.

13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, now I think I finally understand why her incredible work on Warners was such a flop. Too bad cause the records were friggin' brilliant.

14. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I recently picked up the 2fers of Cher (aka "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves")/Foxy Lady and Half-Breed/Dark Lady. These were issued in the early '90s by MCA UK without the original album artwork. They were a couple of bucks at a local used store. I transferred the files to my hard drive, but hadn't listened to them until this thread piqued my curiosity.

Another poster on this thread dissed these discs as being no-noised. My opinion is that this is not the case - there is tape noise during the fades. I believe these are straight transfers of the tapes, most likely the disc cutting tapes. The tapes themselves sound in good condition - I have't come across any dropouts or distortion so far. Cher's voice sometime can be perceived as muffled or thick. It needs a little sparkle to bring it to life.

The tracks are a little quiet, peaks seldom reach above -4dB. I brought the files into Sound Forge and did some EQ plus used an exciter on them, and I think they sound great. They have the dynamic range of the original MCA "Greatest Hits" disc, not the squashed dynamics of so many compilations ("The Way Of Love", "If I Could Turn Back Time", "Millennium Collection" etc.).

15. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

They are no-noised and sound really really bad. Just compare Gypsies to the stand alone MCA CD, not to mention original vinyl. These 2 twofers on cassettes were my introduction to 70's Cher in the 90's and will forever have a place in my heart but they are only good for the car or kitchen listening.

16. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Do you have the CDs?

17. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Sold 'em recently.

18. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay, eleven months then.

19. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Looks like her mom Georgia with bad bed head!

20. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

1. Take Me Home
    2. Wasn't It Good
    3. Say The Word
    4. Happy Was The Day We Met
    5. Git Down (Guitar Groupie)
    6. Love & Pain
    7. Let This Be A Lesson To You
    8. It's Too Late To Love Me Now
    9. My Song

10. Take Me Home (Extended Mix)
    11. Wasn't It Good (Extended Mix)
    12. Git Down (Guitar Groupie) (Extended Mix)
    13. Wasn't It Good (7" Long Version)
    14. Take Me Home (7" Edit)
    15. Git Down (Guitar Groupie) (Extended Mix - Edit)
    16. Take Me Home (Promo Edit)
    17. Take Me Home (Mono Edit)

ibekeen likes this.
  21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

What about Allman and Woman?

lv70smusic and pghmusiclover like this.
  22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Take me Home had some nice songs but it was a first step away from the heartfelt personal songs that made the bulk of Cher 70's output towards a calculated hit machine that we got later. To me the real CLASSIC Cher album era ended in 1977 and while after years of flops you can't blame the girl for some desperate attempts at getting a hit only a few songs from each post-1977 album do it for me. Not surprisingly the most oldschool Cher song on Take me Home is her tribute to their romance with Gregg My Song. Guitar Groupie is cool as well. Never cared for Side 1 with empty disco workouts. Prisoner turned out to be a much more interesting record songwise.

23. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

This is the album that got Cher played in the clubs where she has remained since. The Song "Take Me Home" was a
    Larry Levan staple at the world famous "Paradise Garage".

24. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I think Take Me Home is a really solid album. The full version of the title track is fantastic. I wish they would've went all out and made the whole album disco instead of just side one. I guess she had to remind everyone that she was versatile, and for side two we get rock & roll, power ballad, soul, country and folk. Pretty good stuff all around though.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I loved this album, and it was great to have Cher with a hit song and album again after her commercially unsuccessful Warner Bros. years. I especially loved the second side because I love when Cher "rocks out" on a power ballad! I also liked the two country-flavored ballads (and I'd love for Cher to finally record that long-promised country album).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.