Cherry Red - Morello Records reissuing country albums by George Jones, Tammy Wynette & others

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick Bartlett, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

There has been discussions on many country/rock/pop releases on this particular label,
    who present great quality 2-fer releases that I thought the company deserved it's own
    thread. I noticed there is a new Phil Everly release coming and couldn't find an appropriate
    place to acknowledge it. I could have put it under Tammy Wynette. George Jones, Tom T Hall etc etc.
    I have a bunch of their releases and they are all excellent in sound quality and highly recommend
    them. The great thing about what they do, is take original albums and release them for
    the first time on CD in their complete album form.
    If you are interested, you should check out their catalogue.
    https://www.cherryred.co.uk/label/morello/

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The next classic country reissue I'd like to see from Morello would be a 1CD twofer containing the Gene Watson albums "Honky Tonk Crazy" and "Old Loves Never Die."

"Honky Tonk Crazy" was released on CD during the 1980s, but went OOP and has become very expensive on the secondary market. The album features legendary Nashville session players such as Hargus "Pig" Robbins on piano.

3. melstapler

The next logical step would be for Morello to begin releasing twofers containing the studio albums of country legend Bobby Lewis. He's a member of the Grand Ole Opry and has been active for over 60 decades. Starting with Bobby's UA albums would make the most sense.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

60 decades, huh? That's pretty impressive. Hard-workin' ol' dude!

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  5. Record Rotator

Joking aside, I didn't know about Bobby Lewis. I would buy those Morello releases. I have a very soft spot for old-school Country music
    (George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Merle Haggard, etc.).

6. melstapler

Definitely. Morello have done an exceptional job with their numerous reissues. One new title I highly recommend is the twofer containing Dottsy's RCA albums from the 1970s. This 1CD is set to include a whopping 6 bonus tracks in addition to the albums "The Sweetest Thing' and "Tryin' To Satisfy You.' We certainly will be satisfied when this disc is released in June.
    [​IMG]

7. Record Rotator

Thanks, I'll check her out!

I wrote to Morello Records to urge them to release the Dottie West twofer (2016). Two-three months later, it was up on Amazon. Sometimes it pays to contact these reissue labels.

PhantomStranger and melstapler like this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

9. melstapler

Rick, this is very exciting news! The fact these albums were allowed to go OOP in the first place is aggravating, but it will be great to have them back in print. This set and the comprehensive box set on Bear Family Records will give listeners a proper representation of Bare's earlier years as a hitmaker.

10. Record Rotator

Just listened to Dottsy's "Storms Never Last" and "I'll Be Your San Antone Rose" and liked them both. Will listen more.

Crimson Witch and melstapler like this.
  11. melstapler

Another twofer on Morello I highly recommend is the Moe Bandy 1CD containing the albums "It's A Cheating Situation" and "She's Not Really Cheatin' She's Just Getting Even."
    [​IMG]

'It's A Cheating Situation" recorded by Moe Bandy also features Janie Fricke as the female vocalist

12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Oh my goodness, such a fantastic song, written of course by legendary songwriters Curly Putman and Sonny Throckmorton. I highly recommend BGO's two CD collection of Janie Frickie's first four Columbia albums as well featuring her debut album with the great Billy Sherrill as producer on Singer Of Songs. It includes her fantastic remake of Please Help Me I'm Falling as well as some beautiful original ballads. Her second album, Love Notes, features some great vocals and production as well with the highlight being the Adele like ballad, Love Is Worth It All, accompanied by a solo piano and some strings as I recall and nothing else. It will give you some goosebumps if you are so inclined. The lady had amazing range and near perfect pitch!

13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I'm eyeing the Gary Stewart and Tammy Wynette collections. I assume the sound is good on these?

John Porcellino and melstapler like this.
  14. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

I'm happy to see people have been reporting good SQ on these. I've kind of been wary of Cherry Red releases.

melstapler likes this.
  15. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Clancy Bros & T. Makem albums "Recorded Live: In Ireland" and "Freedom's Sons" to see first CD reissue from Cherry Red/Morello, alongside previously available "Carnegie Hall" and "In Concert".

[​IMG]

melstapler and Record Rotator like this.
  16. connorman95

connorman95 Forum Resident

I bought the George Jones cd "Jones Country/You've Still Got A Place In My Heart" the songs from You've Still Got A Place In My Heart have artifacts and the audio seems kind of muffled. The cd claims the audio is remastered. I bought the LP and it sounds way better.

melstapler likes this.
  17. melstapler

Thanks for the heads-up on this George Jones twofer in question. For whatever reason, I have all of them except for this one. Unlike many of the other Jones twofers released by Morello, I don't recall seeing either "You've Still Got A Place In My Heart" Or "Jones Country" released on CD during the 1980s. Based on the audio, do you think it's a mastering flaw or can you tell if either of these albums were sourced from needle drops? I haven't found that to be an issue with any of the other Morello twofers.

Record Rotator likes this.
  18. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I got the Clancy Brothers set. Thrilled to have Live in Ireland on official CD. Mastering is a tad hot but overall a good listen. Most likely sourced from Sony transfers available as downloads.

melstapler likes this.
  19. connorman95

connorman95 Forum Resident

The first George Jones album Epic records released on cd was "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes" (1985) I'm not sure what happened actually but the audio isn't really half bad. Here's a sample.

Record Rotator and melstapler like this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

I thought this was a 'grey' market release, but it certainly is not.
    An interesting disc in tribute to the great Pappy Daily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

melstapler and John Porcellino like this.
  21. melodic chaos

melodic chaos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I purchased this disc when it first came out and it sounded terrible with a heavy dose of noise reduction which was completely unnecessary. After this purchase, I stayed away from other reissues wary that they would all be the travesty this release was.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  22. Record Rotator

Brand new release from Morello Records:

[​IMG]

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  23. Record Rotator

Sorry, my bad. This is from BGO Records.

melstapler and John Porcellino like this.
  24. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Also, interesting that Sony reissued all these albums in MP3, as well as High Resolution 24/192 for two of the titles.

Record Rotator likes this.
  25. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Is anyone familiar with the quality of Morello's Steve Goodman 2fer: Jessie's Jig & Other Favorites and Words We Can Dance To. If not; with the quality of the Morello releases generally. It's odd after scoring the web there are no real reviews. Not even a listing of the release on Discogs.

Thanks for any information.

By the way; for anyone interested in Steve Goodman the BGO 2fer of Steve's first 2 releases is excellent. For anyone unfamiliar with Steve's work... I consider him a national treasure.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    melstapler and Mr. H like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.