Chi-Lites/Delfonics/Stylistics - beyond the hits

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CletusVanDamme, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, I like the few songs from these groups I have on comps and I'm looking to delve a bit deeper. What releases do I need from these groups? Is there a solid comp for each that covers it or do I go the album route?

If I like these guys, who else would I like?

Thanks in advance for any opinions/recommendations.

Hep Alien and zebop like this.
  2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

As far as good comps go, I highly recommend both volume 1 and 2 of the Chi-Lites' Greatest Hits that Rhino released on cd. I've actually never owned any of their albums beyond best-of compilations, but maybe I'll have to rectify that some day since whenever I listen to them I'm not only struck by how much I love their music but also, generally speaking, how much I love the sound of their music, even though there's frequently a fair amount of distortion to listen through.

The Stylistics' best album is their debut -- almost a best-of in its own right. A good comp for them is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Mor...F8&qid=1433528725&sr=1-10&keywords=stylistics

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

The Rhino Chi-Lites vol.1 GH has gotten a lot of play from me for sure, and I also enjoy playing the Brunswick 45s as well.

4. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

I really adore the Chi-Lites' "A Lonely Man" from 1972; this is the one with their #1 that year,"Oh Girl". That one, "Love Is", "Living in the Footsteps of Another Man" & the title track are all smoother than an expensive fur coat.

sixelsix likes this.
  5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

The Stylistics - my favorite

chumlie likes this.
  6. 3ringcircus

3ringcircus Forum Resident

I bet you'd like the Spinners. The first four albums are great...or any of the comps.

Peace N. Love, Malina and Marzz like this.
  7. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Stylistics - self-titled debut, plus Round Two
    Chi-Lites - A Lonely Man
    Delfonics - Alive & Kicking; Tell Me This Is A Dream

None of these are compilations, but you did ask to go "beyond the hits," so...

Hep Alien and Marzz like this.
  8. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Agree on the Stylistics. The first two albums are essential stuff. Very underated soul

9. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

I say first three Stylistics albums.

Third album is also solid and has "You Make Me Feel Brand New", so nuff said.

10. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

There were also the Moments who gave us the 1970 hit "Love on a Two Way Street" and later hits like "Look at Me, I'm in Love". They would later evolve into Ray,Goodman & Brown & deliver the gorgeous "Special Lady" at the start of 1980. I'll never forget buying that single at the same time I snagged "What I Like About You" by the Romantics and the under-rated "You Know How to Love Me" by Phyllis Hyman. That was several dollars verrry well spent.

kennyluc1 and Coaltrain like this.
  11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I remember having this Stylistics comp.

[​IMG]

Darryl

Elton likes this.
  12. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

As far as Delfonics albums, i really like the self titled. Also another vote for the Stylistics & Spinners debut albums posted above!
    [​IMG]

13. Marzz likes this.
  14. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

The Spinners were on Motown before they moved to Atlantic. It's the first Atlantic album you want, produced by Thom Bell. I've spent way more time with the Stylistics compilations than their studio albums, but agree totally that the first three albums are the way to go.

15. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I would go as far as the first 5. Let's Put It All Together and Heavy are pretty solid albums, along with the first 3.

yesstiles likes this.
  16. pickwick33

17. pickwick33

I'd also recommend the Detroit Emeralds, particularly the albums Do Me Right (1971), You Want It, You Got It (1972) and I'm In Love With You (1973).

yesstiles, Hep Alien and zphage like this.
  18. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the responses, everyone! I definitely will check them out.

19. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

The Chi-Lites' (For God's Sake) Give More Power to the People album is excellent

whisperinwind21 and yesstiles like this.
  20. Coaltrain

Coaltrain Forum Resident

I hesitated to join in on this thread because once you open this box the goodies just keep pouring out. The question really deserves a book. You can't limit yourself to these three fine groups, but to start with them, I am fortunate enough to have good-sounding comps for each of the three: The Stylistics - a Japanese SHM-CD two-disc set entitled The Stylistics Singles 1970-1977, The Chi-Lites - 20 Greatest Hits on Brunswick, and The Delfonics: La-la Means I love You - The Definitive Collection, which I think is probably the best one-CD comp for them. The Kent subsidiary of ACE Records has released two two-fers featuring their early albums. I have the set including La-la Means I Love You and Sounds of Sexy Soul. I think this is a fine album and, as is always the case with the Ace Group, the sound is first-rate. The other Kent two-fer combines Tell Me This Is a Dream with the Delfonics. I'll probably buy it next month.

I don't think you can mention these groups without bringing in the Dells. I have two Dells comps. The first is Oh, What a Night! - The Great Ballads, which was issued as part of the Chess 50th Anniversary Collection. The other is The Dells Anthology on Hip-O, which has two discs and 39 tracks compared to the Chess Cd's 15 tracks. For completeness, the Hip-O collection is obviously the way to go, with different versions of Oh, What a Night and Stay in My Corner, but I prefer the sound of the Chess CD, which seems to me more dynamic. Curiously, both were mastered by Eric Labson. A not-so-well-known Dells CD is The Dells sing Dionne Warwick's Greatest Hits on the Dusty Groove America label. The Dells really stretch out with some very jazzy arrangements. It's well worth checking out.

Then there are the Dramatics, whose most popular ballads are In the Rain and Be My Girl, but they also do a version of Me and Mrs. Jones, which rivals and maybe surpasses Billy Paul. Check out Be My Girl - Their Greatest Love Songs.

On of my all time favorite groups is Bloodstone. their greatest hit was Natural High, but on The Very Best of Bloodstone (Rhino) you can also find Outside Woman and We Go a Long Way Back. I'm sure Natural High is on Youtube. Check it out; I'll bet you like it.

When people think of Tower of Power they usually think of their great funk hits like What is Hip and Soul Vaccination, but I often turn to their ballad side. Your Still a Young Man. So Very Hard to Go, Below Us, All the City Lights and You're So Wonderful, So Marvelous are some of my all time favorites.

I'd better end it here, but I would also like to endorse those who recommended the Spinners and Ray, Goodman and Brown. Oh, and don't forget Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, featuring the great Teddy Pendergrass.

Hep Alien, Emberglow, Manapua and 6 others like this.
  21. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I would go for

Chi Lites A Lonely Man. Give More Power to the People had its moments.
    Delfonics debut with Didn't I blow your mind
    Stylistics self titled.

Would also recommend the Spinners debut on Atlantic. As good as, if not better than the above.

Blue Magic and the Dramatics for me weren't as good, though good singles.

Of course all the main Philadelphia International acts are essential. O Jays Ship Ahoy and Backstabbers. Harold Mevin I Miss You and Wake up Everybody. Billy Paul 360 Degrees. MFSB Love is the Message. Three Degrees second. If you want a nice easy way out and like extended versions, just get the Tom Moulton remixes compilation with LoveTrain etc. 4 CDs but cheap.

Common theme to much of the above, producers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Since "That's What Girls Are Made For"

23. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

You should add the following similar groups in your list:

The Blue Magic
    Impact
    Spinners

24. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

greelywinger likes this.
  25. Main Ingredient
    Manhattans
    Mad Lads (journeymen on Stax who did many styles but could do sweet soul with a falsetto very well)
    Montclairs
    Miracles

Smokey Robinson's 70s solo work is stellar specific sweet soul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.