Chicago appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Feb 14, 2017.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Check the link I posted above; I believe it is streaming on Amazon.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Thank you :)

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, the idea that there was some drastic change in the band is exaggerated. Their sound did evolve gradually, but no more than any other artist who was around as long as they were (and who weren't named AC/DC). The sorts of later ballads that they're given grief for were there from the start, and heavier or proggier jazz rock, funk etc. elements never went away, either.

It's similar to Aerosmith. People who like the early incarnation of the band but hate the later band because of the power ballads seem to not realize that tunes like "You See Me Crying", "Home Tonight" etc. are power ballads that are not that different than the later tunes.

4. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

+1

5. AudiophilePhil

Jimmy Guercio's Caribou Ranch Studio in Nederland, Colorado, where Chicago recorded their albums from 1973-1977. Many other famous artists including Elton John, Supertramp, Earth, Wind & Fire, America, Billy Joel, Dan Fogelberg, The Beach Boys and many others used the studio to record some of their 70's albums.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Could be late in the game, but I want to add that I coincidentally stumbled upon the Transit Authority UK 1st a few years ago and that it absolutely blew me away - been a Chicago lover ever since, though I only own their first album (don't know why, though... I have quite a hard time digging out one of their first 10 LPs here :( )

My favorite album by them is the third one btw - streamed those earlier albums via Spotify and III took me by storm - perfect fusion of all those musical styles :love:

7. AudiophilePhil

You should get their sophomore album Chicago (1970) aka Chicago II. It was remixed by Steven Wilson earlier this year and is now available both on vinyl and CD. MoFi also released a hybrid SACD version of the album which I also like. If you love Chicago III (1971), you'll surely like Chicago V (1972) and Chicago VII (1974). Then if you like the sound of vintage Chicago, you should collect the rest of the their classic period albums (1969-1977) on vinyl.

There's also a hybrid SACD version of Chicago VI (1973) on MoFi label. Hybrid CD's can be played on a regular CD player but sounds best if you have a player that is capable of playing the SACD layer of the disc.

MortSahlFan and LeBon Bush like this.
  8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

A Steven Wilson remix? Wonderful, I love his work on Jethro Tull's discography! Thank you for your advice, I'll have to check those out :tiphat:

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  9. AudiophilePhil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, Reis and LeBon Bush like this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

He did a great job on the remix, I like it a lot more than the original mix (including the Mofi mastering.)

LeBon Bush and AudiophilePhil like this.
  11. AudiophilePhil

12. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

I also love III. Underrated I think. Loneliness is just a word (one of Terry’s best vocals) Travel Suite, Mother (horn fest) Hour in the shower, and Elegy, especially the Approaching Storm. It is a great blend of all the song writers and musicians.

13. AudiophilePhil

I like those album tracks you a have mentioned plus "Lowdown" and "What Else Can I Say?".

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Reis

Reis Forum Resident

You must be a PC fan. Lowdown is a very good song. It was under appreciated for some reason. Well written and arranged by Peter and Danny. Love the bass lines too.

MortSahlFan and gregorya like this.
  15. pool_of_tears

An Hour In The Shower suite is a personal favorite

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Chicago is the host of this 1975 New Year's event, with some great renditions of Wishin' You Were Here and Old Days. Olivia Newton John is as adorable and sexy as ever. The Doobie Brothers and Beach Boys also have some memorable moments.

17. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

Chicago also played Satin Doll, Auld Lang Syne, the great live version of Pankow's party song, Mongonucleosis, as well as Dialogue, with some great guitar licks from Terry in part II.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the used bins are full of chicago II, but i've yet to find the steve wilson version of II used.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Both also had odd lineups-- No Tom Johnston in the Doobies, and the BB's I believe were down to Mike, Carl and Al.

20. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I used to hear both Flight 602 on the radio..also love that one and Low Down. Most of III is excellent.

21. pool_of_tears

Tom was unavailable, and I forget the reason...wasn't his illness, as that didn't happen until Spring/Summer 75. Skunk just smokes on the guitar. His slide playing on Down In The Track is tasty.

22. AudiophilePhil

You should easily find the Steve Wilson version of II in Barnes & Noble as a brand new vinyl.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

vinyl.....:yikes:

24. AudiophilePhil

I have the Steve Wilson remix of II on both CD and vinyl. They both sound great but the vinyl wins.

25. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

The first album Chicago Transit Authority is one of my favorites.